PDA

View Full Version : what paint color for a very small bathroom?

Lavender Lily
10-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Our (I guess) guest bathroom, is pretty much the size of a coat closet. Its our half bath with only a sink and toilet. With those two things in there you literally have a foot from your knees and the wall when your sitting down. :O It has the chair railing and paneling that it came with. I did try to paint it a lime green but it just doesn't look good. And every color I think of I don't think it would look right. I can't do all white b/c if the bottom paneling and chair railing, I like that to be white and have another color on top or the actual wall. I'm sort of having a problem trying to figure out the color for our main bathroom too. So whatever color I choose for the half will most likely be going into the main one too.
I like the country or cottage look.
Any ideas?

Drew
10-17-2008, 07:28 AM
What colors are the floor and fixtures in the room?

I used a light green (almost seafoamish) in our powder room, which is fairly small. I can't remember the exact color name but I can look when I get home if you like. Anyway, it looks good with our white trim, bone sink/toilet, and satin nickle fixtures. We're actually planning to add a chair rail and beadboard (both white) to this room at some point in the future.

KatieMae
10-17-2008, 07:36 AM
I can't decide a pale green (seafoam would be pretty :yes) or a pale purple for our half-bath downstairs. Right now it's pumpkin orange (previous owners color selection) and it looks :sick to me. It has all beige trim (countertops, flooring) and natural wood trim so I'm concerned that it anything will look dull without bright-white accents :think

You don't *have* to go with the same colors in both bathrooms though; a quart of paint would probably be enough to do your small guest bathroom.

J3K
10-17-2008, 07:45 AM
Ours is lavender. Super pretty and if it helps...my hubby picked out the color.

RiverRock
10-17-2008, 08:37 AM
Any colour that resembles water will usually look good in a bathroom. :shrug The seafoam suggestion sounds good if you like the cottage/country look. Otherwise a more neutral colour that co-ordinates with your floor and countertop could look good. I'm presently trying to get the courage to paint my powder room a chocolate brown...but I'm going for more of a "jewel box" look so the dark colour would work for that (and nobody needs to shave or apply make-up in that room). I do remember hearing a designer say that green should never be in a bathroom since you don't want that colour reflecting off your skin when you see yourself in the mirror. I am sure there are acceptions to this since there are sooo many greens to choose from, but I think a blue-based green would be best if you choose to go with green.

brandi
10-17-2008, 09:11 AM
I love sage green or even a dusty blue color would look pretty.

Lavender Lily
10-17-2008, 12:32 PM
What colors are the floor and fixtures in the room?

I used a light green (almost seafoamish) in our powder room, which is fairly small. I can't remember the exact color name but I can look when I get home if you like. Anyway, it looks good with our white trim, bone sink/toilet, and satin nickle fixtures. We're actually planning to add a chair rail and beadboard (both white) to this room at some point in the future.

we have laminate white flooring in there. The counter matches all the counters around the house...........avacodo green. :sick the sink is a bone color. Cabinets are white.
I :heart lavender and I did think of a pale blue also. :think
We painted our livingroom a light sage color, even though I love the color I don't think I can continue that in that bathroom too. :(

Aisling
10-17-2008, 12:33 PM
My mom's small bathroom is plumb, with white fixtures. I really like it. :rockon

JessicaTX
10-17-2008, 12:38 PM
I really like plum with avocado green =D

knitlove
10-17-2008, 01:11 PM

I agree

Lavender Lily
10-17-2008, 01:27 PM

:think I love plum too
I never thought that green would go with anything. :giggle
I might just go with that one....I'm thinking I may do the same with the main bath too. I'm going through the same thing b/c of that counter top.

JessicaTX
10-17-2008, 02:14 PM
My aunt painted her bathroom walls black when she had avocado green counters toilet and tub, then she used chili pepper fabric and accessories, cuz the red chili peppers had that color green stems and a black background. It looked surprisingly cool =D

knitlove
10-17-2008, 02:16 PM
I think that if you can get over it being :sick green then you will see that there is lots that you can do that will make the green fit in and not be the focus.

Happygrl
10-17-2008, 05:45 PM
I love a crisp skyish-blue with white for a bathroom. Looks so clean and fresh. And makes me smile!

A friend recently painted her very small bathroom a light gray color on the top (bottom is white beadboard). It really looks nice! She got a few different colored hand towels (a bright green, a plum color and a few others) so she can switch out that accent color depending on her mood. I wasn't sure about the gray color but I really do love it.