PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How do I decorate my mantle/wall behind it. (PICS of sad empty mantle...)

poleidopy
10-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I need major HELP! I can't decide what to put on our mantle. We do NOT do cand;es or incense or smelly stuff. Or pretty breakable knick-knacks. I like books and plants but my plants keep dying. Ilike the teapot idea and it's gorgeous, but I don't do teapots. HELP! WWYD?

Ignore the painting and the plant--that's just some stuff I was moving around

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a139/poleidopy/fireplace.jpg?t=1224194304

Rea T
10-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Oooh, I want your mantle.

I would hang a mirror or grouping of mirrors with unique frames on the wall. On the mantle I would set some books, either treasured ones that you have or just scrounge around at thrift shops, etc to find some with older bindings. Stack some flat, have others up between some antique/old style book ends or something heavy that can double as a book end. In between I would place some interesting pottery pieces, I'm thinking shallow bowls and chunky vases. Intersperse a few small framed family pictures.

Does that help?

poleidopy
10-16-2008, 03:38 PM
Does that help?

totally! :rockon What a great idea!

SouthPaw
10-16-2008, 03:42 PM
i would do a wrought iron piece or 1 large painting (just the canvas/art gallery type look) on the mantle leaning on the wall

CakeLady
10-16-2008, 05:26 PM
A large painting with some plants on either side?

mom2threegirls
10-16-2008, 05:39 PM
Wow, I LOVE your mantle and french doors! :jawdrop Gorgeous!

I do a grouping of mirrors or plates, or a nice sized iron piece or painting over the mantle. It would be a perfect place to showcase one of your paintings :rockon. Just be sure it's not too small- that's a big error people make with decorating the space over a mantle. You could even add some beautiful wall words in a special quote, like you did in your bedroom :smile. That would be gorgeous!

ITA that some nice chunky pottery, family picts, and cool looking books would look great on the mantle :yes.

HomeWithMyBabies
10-16-2008, 05:40 PM
Another vote for the mirrors!

ArmsOfLove
10-16-2008, 06:35 PM
Yes--gorgeous :yes

I like books with nice bookends, and with the holidays coming up you can do a lot of decorations :think

poleidopy
10-16-2008, 07:08 PM

I like books with nice bookends, and with the holidays coming up you can do a lot of decorations :think

Oh man...MIL has given us SOOO many of those horrid foot-tall (at least) signing dancing Santas, snowmen, Mrs. Claus, Elvis, etc... :hunh Not the decorations I have in mind. But you're right. I can't wait to decorate for the holidays! :rockon

Singingmom
10-16-2008, 08:10 PM
That's a great fireplace! Love the ideas so far. A big piece of your artwork hung right above it would be striking. Then you wouldn't need much on the mantle itself, maybe some unscented candles on each side.

mommyTay
10-17-2008, 04:52 AM

Oh man...MIL has given us SOOO many of those horrid foot-tall (at least) signing dancing Santas, snowmen, Mrs. Claus, Elvis, etc... :hunh Not the decorations I have in mind. But you're right. I can't wait to decorate for the holidays! :rockon

For the holidays I like my Nativity centered on the mantle and greenery with a clear or blue light strand run through the greenery.

The rest of the year, one mantle has pictures of all the children (dining room), the other has my my Indian collection (living room has Native American theme).