PDA

View Full Version : Smoothies - flax seed and whey powder

CapeTownMommy
10-16-2008, 02:38 AM
OK so I've read a few of the smoothie threads, and noticed many people add flax seed and/or whey powder to their smoothies. So I got dh to buy these ingredients and added a little to this morning's breakfast smoothie. And I hate the aftertaste. :shifty

I used:
Strawberries (about 8-10 big ones)
A few gooseberries
A cup or so of yoghurt (plain, low fat)
2 big spoons of raw honey
A little bit of milk to get to the consistency I wanted

And then a tablespoon each of whey powder and flax seed.

Dh loved it, said he couldn't taste anything other than berry-yoghurt goodness. For me, I could smell it the moment I raised the glass to my mouth, I had to drink without breathing through my nose, that's the only way I could get the smoothie to not taste funny. And then it had this aftertaste.

Did I use too much? Should I ignore the whey powder and/or flax seed?

I must say, this smoothie has kept me full far longer than the previous ones we made (which had just fruit and yoghurt), so something works. And I can actually keep drinking this, but it feels like something I have to force down rather than something I'm excited to have for breakfast, KWIM?

krysmh
10-17-2008, 12:40 AM
:think What kind of aftertaste was it? I haven't found either ingredient to be particularly strong in flavor, but I've not put flax in a smoothie either.

CapeTownMommy
10-17-2008, 05:56 AM
Honestly, it's hard to describe. I think I should just taste each of them and see which it was that I tasted...