PDA

View Full Version : Will honey or sucanat work?

krysmh
10-15-2008, 11:10 PM
You know those no bake cookies that you cook on the stove that are fudgey and have oats and sometimes peanut butter in them? Does anyone know if honey or sucanat would work instead of white sugar in those?

I crave those a lot, and always feel so guilty since they're packed with sugar. I've been wanting to try the sucanat in them, but the kind I have is the minimally processed stuff... really really dark and grainy, not crystal-y looking at all, and I'm not familiar enough with its properties to know if it will melt down and harden up again in these fudgey cookies.

I'm guessing raw honey wouldn't make them set?

FaroeIslandBabes
10-16-2008, 01:42 AM
:popcorn sorry, I dont know but that sounds yummy! bumping for ya!!

RealLifeMama
10-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Someone posted a version a few years ago that had maple syrup.
I don't know if it is on this board, though. I will look around
Anyway, the maple syrup worked ok, but they were a lot softer.
I am guessing the sucanat would work ok.

RealLifeMama
10-16-2008, 07:58 AM
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake-Chocolate-Oatmeal-Cookies/Detail.aspx

The recipe I mentioned was posted before the "Big Board Crash of 2005". (I found a post of mine asking for it to be reposted back in 2005.)
The one I linked to is pretty similar. You could try to use that and subtitute the honey for the maple syrup.

krysmh
10-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Thank you! I tried these tonight. Only, I wasn't thinking straight and used 1/2 honey and 1/2 sucanat. It worked, but I think all honey would be better... the molasses flavor of the sucanat was a little overpowering in combination with such a high percentage of cocoa.

I think I'll try them again, only next time use all honey or maybe get some maple syrup, and cut back the cocoa a bit too. :smile