PDA

View Full Version : Pumpkin latte?

mamaKristin
10-15-2008, 12:35 PM
Anyone tried/found/created a home made pumpkin latte? I've seen a couple of recipes out there, but was wondering if anyone has had any success. I'm 2 hours drive from a Starbucks, and getting a craving. :popcorn

RealLifeMama
10-15-2008, 12:36 PM
:popcorn

mom2threegirls
10-15-2008, 12:46 PM
Ohhhhh I would SO SO SO love to be able to make one of these that acually truly tastes like Starbucks!!!! That's the only thing I really truly totally CRAVE from there and it's a good thing it's seasonal ;) :giggle. Only problem is now they have it again and I've been DYING to get one but DH and I are trying to not do ANY eating out and I'm trying really hard to do better than him :giggle. I wish I was 2 hours from a starbucks- they are ALL OVER THE PLACE here in WA and I can't get away from them!

I found some recipes and this one http://www.bakingandbooks.com/2006/10/10/pumpkin-spice-latte-ii/ actually has pumpkin in it :tu. A lot of the ones I saw just have the spice and I don't think that would be quite right :think. I'm going to crack open a huge can of pumpkin just for a little latte for myself :giggle and give that recipe a try- I'll let ya'll know how it turns out!

UPDATE: Ok- yummy! I did change it a bit. I used 2% milk, sugar free hazelnut coffee creamer :shifty (yeah, I know how bad that is for me.... ;)), and used stevia instead of the sugar in the recipe. Oh, and no whipped cream (didn't have it) and I added twice as much pumpkin puree. SO GOOD! I did add a bit too much pumpkin but I couldn't really taste it with only the 1/2T for a cup- I'm thinking 3/4T would be just right. It's WAY easier than I thought- I didn't need to puree it, just mixed the pumpkin and spices with some of the milk in my mug and then added the other ingredients. The pumpkin makes it nice and thick :yum.

Sort of OT, but hot chocolate is also very yummy with sweet potatoe or pumpkin puree mixed in too :yes :yum. And it's a little healthier with it in there too! :tu

And I still wanna hear Musicmama's Starbucks secrets to the pumpkin spice latte :yes :popcorn.

Blue Savannah
10-15-2008, 01:09 PM
:cup

(If that one doesn't work, we should grab musicmama and make us tell her all her Starbucks secrets! ;) )

RealLifeMama
10-15-2008, 01:40 PM
Hey, I think last year, Laura posted a Hot Pumpkin drink that was pretty tasty.
Maybe you could make that and use it as the milky portion for your latte?

I will see if I can find it.

OK, so it was two years ago. How time flies!
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=85373.0

Lady TS
10-15-2008, 01:43 PM

Myrtle
10-15-2008, 01:49 PM
well, I know what I'm adding to the grocery list! :yes

Wonder what could be used instead of the CoffeeMate? Would it hurt to leave it out? Just use cream instead?

Mama Calidad
10-15-2008, 01:58 PM
Hey, I think last year, Laura posted a Hot Pumpkin drink that was pretty tasty.
Maybe you could make that and use it as the milky portion for your latte?

I will see if I can find it.

OK, so it was two years ago. How time flies!
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=85373.0

:heart That's so sweet that you remembered. :heart

puah
10-15-2008, 02:01 PM
this one is REALLY good. even if you don't put the coffee in it's good (and i let my kids drink that version for a Fall treat). oh i substituted just about everything except the milk. i put in a pinch of the dry spices instead of syrup, and real vanilla extract (about one tsp, i think) and sugar instead of that syrup. it is yummy hot or on ice.

mamaKristin
10-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I guess I need to be bold and actually try making one. :giggle

The idea of coffee creamer makes me gag, so I'll have to substitute.

Herbwifemama
10-15-2008, 02:07 PM
Looking forward to trying Laura's recipe. I want something like that too- Barnes & Noble has one, also, and it sounds really yummy, but I'd rather make it myself. I can't wait til I see pumpkin in the stores!!

Lavender Lily
10-15-2008, 02:40 PM
:hey pregnant woman over here!
Now i'm going to have to go try it. that sounds so good right now. :P~

SouthPaw
10-15-2008, 02:41 PM
i had a dairy queen pumpkin pie blizzard and it was reaaaaally good :bag

mamaKristin
10-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet!

Right now I am drinking a delicious latte.

1.5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/2 Tbsp brown sugar (I don't like it sweet, YMMV)

stir all that up. Then add in 2 shots of espresso (I'm sure double strength coffee would be good too), and just over a cup of steamed milk.

YUM!

I'm hosting a birthday party for my girls on Saturday, and might make this up for the moms to sip on while we visit. With whip cream for topping.

joyful mama
10-15-2008, 03:40 PM
dh is getting pumpkin at the store right no w... i'll try it in the am :yum

HummusDip
10-15-2008, 03:48 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet!

1.5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

stir all that up. Then add in 2 shots of espresso (I'm sure double strength coffee would be good too), and just over a cup of steamed milk.

YUM!

I'm hosting a birthday party for my girls on Saturday, and might make this up for the moms to sip on while we visit. With whip cream for topping.

How would you keep that nice and hot to serve up? I've got a bday party coming up for dd and I'd like to serve those as well!

I'd have to leave out the coffee creamer because we're dairy free...and obviously we'd use a milk sub. mmmm though! I'd make this today but I don't have a coffee maker or espresso maker.

mamaKristin
10-15-2008, 04:04 PM
I'm thinking of heating it up stovetop, and then adding double strength coffee. I can then serve right away, and pour the rest into a thermal carafe.

I just made one for DH, and added just over a Tbsp of brown sugar. He loved it.

Herbwifemama
10-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet!

1.5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

YUM!

How would you keep that nice and hot to serve up? I've got a bday party coming up for dd and I'd like to serve those as well!

I'd have to leave out the coffee creamer because we're dairy free...and obviously we'd use a milk sub. mmmm though! I'd make this today but I don't have a coffee maker or espresso maker.

Crockpot? That's how we kept our hot punch hot for dd's bday party (Jan bday)

joyful mama
10-16-2008, 05:32 AM
so I made mine a bit different:

2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1/2 Tbsp rapadura
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup strong coffee
1 cup hot milk
3 Tbsp half and half

I mixed the spices, pumpkin and half and half together well, added the coffee and hotmilk together, then the pumpkin mixture :yum. If I had whipped cream, I might try that too. This is really yummy! I had it for breakfast w/my homemade pumpkin bread. A fair amount of fiber and vitamin A and :yum

Blue Savannah
10-16-2008, 11:28 AM
:yum

Myrtle
10-17-2008, 05:43 AM
so I made mine a bit different:

2 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1/2 Tbsp rapadura
1 Tbsp honey
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 cup strong coffee
1 cup hot milk
3 Tbsp half and half

I mixed the spices, pumpkin and half and half together well, added the coffee and hotmilk together, then the pumpkin mixture :yum. If I had whipped cream, I might try that too. This is really yummy! I had it for breakfast w/my homemade pumpkin bread. A fair amount of fiber and vitamin A and :yum

What's rapadura?

Raspberries
10-17-2008, 05:45 AM
I bet you could just use another type of milk (rice, almond, soy) in place of the creamer, Hummus. I might try something different today. I'll report back as to how it came out.

Raspberries
10-17-2008, 05:54 AM
So what I did was I put my coffee in a coffee filter and plopped a large spoonful of canned pumpkin on top then brewed my coffee as normal. I added sugar, cream and pumpkin pie spice in my cup. Yum!

joyful mama
10-17-2008, 05:59 AM
What's rapadura?

http://www.tropicaltra ditions.com/organic_sugar.htm

organic whole cane sugar- unprocessed, unrefined sugar basically

Blue Savannah
10-17-2008, 06:53 AM
Joyful Mama, is it a syrup or a granulated sugar? I have some granulated sugar like that, but when I looked up rapadura yesterday, I got the idea it was a syrup.

joyful mama
10-17-2008, 08:25 AM
Joyful Mama, is it a syrup or a granulated sugar? I have some granulated sugar like that, but when I looked up rapadura yesterday, I got the idea it was a syrup.
granulated. I wonder if they have it in syrup form :think. I use that, maple syrup and/or honey for most of my things. stevia on occassion or xylitol, but I have to watch them w/newborns b/c it gives me an upset tummy sometimes.

Myrtle
10-17-2008, 10:44 AM
Is there anything I can do to make the spices dissolve better? I tried a couple of them this morning, but the spices never dissolved fully, and so especially near the end it was a little gritty. What'd I do wrong? :shrug

RealLifeMama
10-17-2008, 10:46 AM
Is there anything I can do to make the spices dissolve better? I tried a couple of them this morning, but the spices never dissolved fully, and so especially near the end it was a little gritty. What'd I do wrong? :shrug

Maybe you could make up a syrup with your sweetener and spices. That would also be nice so you can just add it every time you want one instead of having to make it up individually.

Myrtle
10-17-2008, 10:57 AM

Maybe you could make up a syrup with your sweetener and spices. That would also be nice so you can just add it every time you want one instead of having to make it up individually.

Are you saying get cinnamon syrup and nutmeg syrup and put them together? I have hazelnut syrup, so I bet I could find the others. Or are you suggesting that I make a syrup myself with those things? How do you get the spices to dissolve when making syrup?

RealLifeMama
10-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Are you saying get cinnamon syrup and nutmeg syrup and put them together? I have hazelnut syrup, so I bet I could find the others. Or are you suggesting that I make a syrup myself with those things? How do you get the spices to dissolve when making syrup?

I don't know if they would really dissolve, but I was thinking making a syrup on the stovetop out of your sugar and honey and spices, and maybe a little water.

Blue Savannah
10-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Okay, here is my perfect pumpkin latte. I made up a bunch of the mixture. :)

1 cup fresh pumpkin puree
1/4 cup honey
2 T brown sugar
1 t. cinnamon
1 t. ginger (maybe a bit more)

I added two heaping Tbs. to the kids' cups and 3 to mine (probably about 1/4 cup total). My cup is 10 oz. The I poured hot steamed milk with a little whipped cream in it, stirred it up and added espresso.

My dd says it is too good to be true. My ds says, "Pumpkin coffee makes me pee!" :rolleyes :giggle

Blue Savannah
10-20-2008, 10:47 AM
oh, and my next experiment is to mix just the pumpkin and the spices and add hot steamed chocolate milk. Pumpkin, chocolate, cinnamon, ginger and coffee. *swoon* :giggle

I wonder if somehow I can justify a second cup of coffee today?

jewelmcjem
10-20-2008, 12:25 PM

The spices won't dissolve like sugar does, as they are ground bits of bark and such. But you could put them in with your ground coffee and brew them in, or make a little cheescloth bag (like a teabag kind of) and let them steep in the coffee a while before mixing.

Myrtle
10-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Thanks, Gem. I think I'll try brewing the spices with the coffee, and if that doesn't work, I'll do the cheesecloth thing. I don't like the gritty stuff in my drink. :shifty

HEmomma
10-21-2008, 06:22 AM
i had a dairy queen pumpkin pie blizzard and it was reaaaaally good :bag

I shouldn't have opened this thread... that sounds SO. GOOD!

ETA: I told dh how wonderful this sounded and he promised to get me one after my daughters p/t conference. :heart

Lady TS
10-21-2008, 01:22 PM
Thanks, Gem. I think I'll try brewing the spices with the coffee, and if that doesn't work, I'll do the cheesecloth thing. I don't like the gritty stuff in my drink. :shifty

I think a lot of the 'grit' in mine was the pumpkin---do they peel those things before they puree them? :shifty

bananacake
10-21-2008, 01:25 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet!

1.5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

YUM!

Oo, oo! You should try this one for the crockpot - then people can just take what they want:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-pumpkin-spice-latte-recipe.html

Blue Savannah
10-21-2008, 02:18 PM

I think a lot of the 'grit' in mine was the pumpkin---do they peel those things before they puree them? :shifty

:no It's my understand commercial canned pumpkin is pureed with the skin. :shrug3 That is why I like fresh pumpkin so much, I think. It is so silky. :heart :heart I have been getting sugar pumpkins for .20/pound at our farmers' market. :yum

I didn't notice grit in my coffee, so I wonder if that's the difference?

Lady TS
10-21-2008, 05:30 PM

:no It's my understand commercial canned pumpkin is pureed with the skin. :shrug3 That is why I like fresh pumpkin so much, I think. It is so silky. :heart :heart I have been getting sugar pumpkins for .20/pound at our farmers' market. :yum

I didn't notice grit in my coffee, so I wonder if that's the difference?

Probably. Although, I do wonder whether the skins have more nutrients that the actual pulp, like most veggies? :think :shrug

Blue Savannah
10-21-2008, 05:37 PM
Probably. :yes

Lady TS
10-21-2008, 05:52 PM
:giggle
I guess I'll put up with grit in my latte's until after Halloween when I dissect the pumpkins! lol

Blue Savannah
10-21-2008, 07:14 PM
Just think of it as extra vitamins. ;)

Myrtle
10-28-2008, 10:34 AM
Ok, I bit the bullet!

1.5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

YUM!

Oo, oo! You should try this one for the crockpot - then people can just take what they want:
http://crockpot365.blogspot.com/2008/10/crockpot-pumpkin-spice-latte-recipe.html

ooh, if you crockpot it, you could use cheesecloth for the spices and avoid the grit. WooHoo!

Lady TS
09-20-2011, 07:44 AM
resurrecting an oldie but a goodie

Which one should I choose this week? :think

blondie
09-20-2011, 07:47 AM
You girls read my mind! I actually drove across town to Starbucks for one yesterday. Got in line, then chickened out because I didn't want to waste $5. I'm so trying these!

Niphredil
09-20-2011, 07:54 AM
I'm going to try the crockpot one. I've had a tab open for a while now, just waiting for the store to get pumpkin in!

blondie
09-22-2011, 12:26 PM
I've had these every day since I read this post... 3 days ago. :giggle:

I'm guessing it's wayyyy healthier than the Sbux version. I switched the brown sugar out for a bit of 100% pure maple syrup. SOOOO good.

Lady TS
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
I've had these every day since I read this post... 3 days ago. :giggle:

I'm guessing it's wayyyy healthier than the Sbux version. I switched the brown sugar out for a bit of 100% pure maple syrup. SOOOO good.

Which recipe are you using?

I still have a can of pumpkin sitting on my counter taunting me. :giggle

blondie
09-23-2011, 09:00 PM
Ok, I bit the bullet!

1.5 Tbsp pumpkin puree
1 Tbsp vanilla syrup
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg

YUM!

This one --- but with a splash of vanilla extract instead of syrup, maple syrup instead of brown sugar, and pumpkin pie spice.

I've been drinking them cold and hot. SOOO good!

cheri
09-24-2011, 09:38 AM
I'm going to try the crockpot one this afternoon... mostly because I'm lazy, it's afternoon, and the kids and I are still in pajamas.

teamommy
09-24-2011, 10:11 AM
This is the one I use. I don't like full strength PSL, I am a one-pump girl, so I like this one that doesn't use syrup.

Blend in blender:

1 c. milk (I use vanilla soy milk that is sweetened already)
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
2-3 tbs. pumpkin puree
1 tsp. vanilla
sweeten to taste (sugar or agave)

Warm on stove for best results, then combine with coffee or espresso

cheri
09-24-2011, 05:15 PM
So I tried the crock-pot version and it's decent.

It does NOT taste like a pumpkin spice latte to me. I don't think it's bad, but it's not a latte and I think you really have to think of it more like a pumpkin flavored coffee/milk drink. Because if you're expecting it to taste just like a Starbucks PSL, you'll be disappointed.

And now I have more than half of a can of pumpkin puree opened... so I guess it's pumpkin pancakes tomorrow.

Ajani
09-26-2011, 09:16 AM
Pumpkin puree can be frozen. In fact, you could put 1Tbs blobs on a parchment lined cookie sheet, freeze them, bag them and pull a couple out every time you want to make the latte base. :shifty Or am I just enabling the addiction?

blondie
09-26-2011, 09:53 AM
I like these MORE than the Starbucks version.