PDA

View Full Version : wood burning stove?

Lavender Lily
10-14-2008, 06:31 AM
we have been wanting to put one in since we moved into our home. I've always loved the look and plus we think it would save money by burning wood then using electric or propane. With as many trees as we have, plus that dh has had to cut down or they just fell. We have a pretty good stash.
Does it heat up the house pretty good? Would it be a good investment? Is it cheaper then using your gas or electric to heat the house?

2sunshines
10-14-2008, 06:44 AM
We have a wood pellet stove and LOVE it. It heats up the house really nicely and as a bonus, there's a nice warm spot in front of the fire if the kids are chilled and want to stand there.

mommyTay
10-14-2008, 06:50 AM
We really like our wood stove. It keeps the whole house very warm. Sometimes on the coldest days of winter, with a strong wind we light the fireplace at the other end of the house. Most days it is all we need. Our heating bill is a lot cheaper, especially if you have your own wood supply. If you have to buy the firewood, it is getting more expensive as so many people are trying to heat that way now. Dh and son are out back now cutting wood.

We keep a tea pot on ours all the time 1. to keep moisture in the house 2. quick tea or hot chocolate.
Sometimes, I cook on ours, mostly soup that I let simmer all afternoon.
Dh likes to bake potatoes in the ashes or have hot dog and marshmallow "cook outs" with the kids.

Lavender Lily
10-14-2008, 07:09 AM
Do you have piping that's goes to every room to harm the whole house (venting system) or
is it just in one room and the heat radiates throughout the house on its own?
Our house is 1400 s/f, when we asked about getting one last year. One guy told us all we needed was the right size stove to heat the whole house. Another guy told us, in order to heat our home efficiently we had to get the venting system installed also or else it would just heat up that one room. :scratch

2sunshines
10-14-2008, 07:16 AM
We just have the stove in the living room and it heats up the whole house. Mind you, our home is only about 850 sq ft, but we got the smallest model and it works great.

crunchymum
10-14-2008, 07:46 AM
OT, but i heard a story on the radio of how the wood pellet stove makers are having a hard time keeping up with the demand! everyone who uses them loves them, apparently. :yes

i think i am allergic to whatever gets released when a wb stove is used - i get symptoms similar to hay fever when i stay too long in a house with a wood burner. :(

mommyTay
10-14-2008, 08:42 AM
Our house is about 2000 sqft with no special venting for the wood stove. The room with the stove is always warmer than the others, but the others stay comfortable. If it is a windy day, it can feel like all the heat is pulled out of one end of the house, then we turn on the propane furnace's circulation fan to help distribute the heat. nothing fancy or extra.

Lavender Lily
10-14-2008, 02:18 PM
:rockon yeay!! great I've had my eye on this old looking WB stove since last year. It totally looks like its straight out of the 1800's, its in an hour glass shape (if you can imagine that) stands to about 3 ft. dh likes the ones that look like bread boxes. both are old looking.

Blue Savannah
10-15-2008, 05:56 AM
We have two levels, and our woodstove is on the bottom level (basement). We have a small vent that would go upstairs if the top of the vent wasn't covered by our floor. Dh talks about cutting the vent through to get more warm air upsairs. It is warmer downstairs than up; but it's kind of nice. The warmth downstairs is a really sleepy heat, and I wouldn't get anything done if the whole house was always that warm. :bag

Lavender Lily
10-15-2008, 06:25 AM
We have two levels, and our woodstove is on the bottom level (basement). We have a small vent that would go upstairs if the top of the vent wasn't covered by our floor. Dh talks about cutting the vent through to get more warm air upsairs. It is warmer downstairs than up; but it's kind of nice. The warmth downstairs is a really sleepy heat, and I wouldn't get anything done if the whole house was always that warm. :bag

:lol I think I would be the same way too.

Elora
10-15-2008, 06:27 AM
Growing up we had one without piping to every room. Currently my sis has one with. "With" definately does a better job of heating her house than it did ours when we were young.

i think i am allergic to whatever gets released when a wb stove is used - i get symptoms similar to hay fever when i stay too long in a house with a wood burner. :(
:( me too. my allergies go nuts. it also happens to me when people burn wood in a regular fireplace indoors

MomtoJGJ
10-15-2008, 07:24 AM
We have a wood burning insert in our fireplace. It has a blower, but nothing throughout the house. We will turn the blower on while the kids are getting ready for bed to force some heat upstairs. When we turn the blower on the thermostat across the downstairs reads 85-90. So when we are just all downstairs we don't turn it on. It definitely saves money over the central heat.

DH started a new shift where he has to leave the house a little before 3am, so he'll be able to revive the fire during the night and turn the blower on for a few minutes. Last year we had to turn on the heat in the mornings for about 30 minutes, so we'll even have a savings over last year.

Lavender Lily
10-15-2008, 07:28 AM
would that be the same as switching your ceiling fans to run in reverse to circulate the heat? :think

MomtoJGJ
10-15-2008, 07:32 AM
not sure if the ceiling fan question was to me or not? but here's my answer

We do that too... but we actually have an electric blower as part of the stove.... The stove itself has a plug and a switch on it.

sprout
10-16-2008, 09:06 PM
we also have a wood pellet stove that we adore...no speical pipe...just let it blow...it is so cozy in the winter too. And, they are easy to install new. It takes about 500 dollars in pellets to heat us late Oct through March. we do not turn on the other heat ever...well, we did when the baby was first born to really keep the house warm, but we did not last winter. oh, and we currently heat about 600 sq feet with one stove. we are considering get another for the other half of the house, which, we have currently shut off during snow season.

mommyTay
10-17-2008, 04:44 AM
would that be the same as switching your ceiling fans to run in reverse to circulate the heat? :think

We also have ceiling fans in almost every room. It does help a lot with circulating the heat.

ThirstyTurtle
10-17-2008, 05:02 AM
I know at least two people with a wood burning stove that says it heats up <1000 sq ft very nicely without venting.