PDA

View Full Version : The Dread Chore Challenge (Come on, you know you need it!)

KatieMae
10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
You know those chores that you absolutely dread & put off & off & off..... (please tell me I'm not the only one :shifty ) Well, the challenge for the rest of this week is to do at least a couple of them.

Post about it before you do it & we will :poke you & :cheer you on.......and commiserate with you. Post about it after you are done & we will celebrate with you!

These are probably C.O.U.S.s (chores of unusual size) so a 5 minute challenge isn't enough to do them.

These are the chores you wish Miracle Max had a miracle for.

Have fun storming the castle. :lol

KatieMae
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Mine:
* Still haven't vacuumed my curtains, cabinets or ceilings (from my list two weeks ago :bag)
* Ironing... ugh, that's my most dreaded COUS, though if I would just DO IT once a week, it wouldn't be so unusually-sized! :doh

klpmommy
10-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Thank you for starting this today!!! We have been gone all day for E's birthday & just got home a short bit ago.

My entire main level is my COUS for this week. It is BAD!!! Embarassingly so. And E's bd party is Saturday so I have a lot to do before then! :nails So starting tomorrow I need to concentrate on one area (or more!) each day-- formals, classroom, entry, kitchen, mudroom, family room. I also need to do a quick one-over in the basement. :crazy

NoodleMom
10-06-2008, 01:35 PM
I just put mine on the other thread. Have to find it and move it.

K

Niphredil
10-06-2008, 02:25 PM
This is my goal
Spare room
finish unfolded laundry
put all the "stuff" back in the closet
Bathroom
Scour
Purge, scrub & reorganize closet
Computer/craft area
PURGE!
Toddler proof
Sort out 2007 bills :O
Winterize windows
basic clean up in bedroom, laundry room & porch

:phew I can totally do it though!

5 chores... 5 days til my mom comes. Bring it.

NoodleMom
10-06-2008, 02:55 PM
I couldnt get it to work for me at first but I finally got it. Here it is.

I was reading this thread while the board was on break and decided that I need to join it

My Dreaded Chores are:
1)Clean out my closet, organize clothing, shelves and meds,
2)Go thru the girls seasonal clothes.

Now I am assuming that if I dont get these done this week I can ad it to next weeks?

Big Project involving whole family.
Clean out and organize the garage from after our move. Winter is coming and we need to put the van inside.

This will be done during spring break as I will need help moving things.

K

RiverRock
10-06-2008, 05:17 PM
Wahoo! I'm done last week's Dread Chores! I wouldn't let myself make a new mental list until the last bathroom had been decluttered and I had spent that 30 min. organizing my closet. Now I can start my new week. :giggle

This week's list:
Declutter and wash 6 drawers in kitchen island.
Wash windows in kitchen and living room.
30 minutes spent decluttering my bedroom closet.
Take care of "hot spot" at kitchen desk that is threatening to take over the entire room!
Tidy and organized the toy room
eta: two more goals for the week

TraceMama
10-07-2008, 07:11 AM
I need to join! Here are my COUS!

Finally, clear off my dining room table, returning items to their original places and reorganizing as necessary.

Vaccuum basement, including basement window sills and ceilings.

Vaccuum curtains in kitchen and recessed lighting wells --- there are tons of cobwebs.

Clean all bathrooms, wash bathroom rugs and scrub floors.

That's enough for right now, I think! :doh

allisonintx
10-07-2008, 07:45 AM
My Computer area and Family room are totally qualifying as COUS's this week!

NoodleMom
10-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Havent got anything done yet. :no2 So many little fires to put out. :hissyfit

I am going to make a good faith effort to do something in my closet tomorrow.

K

klpmommy
10-07-2008, 04:25 PM
I've done nothing yet, either. I am going to finish the paper meche part of E's bd pinata tonight & that will be huge. All that is left after that is painting it & E is doing most of that.

(and, yes, I am ignoring the 5 min challenges today. :bag )

Lily
10-07-2008, 04:34 PM
The laundry has been kept with but the ironing has been sorely neglected. I have 3 baskets of ironing. I also want to work on the Christmas decorations - like finding a better way to organize them and making a list of what we have and what I want.

I love lists! So here it is:
Ironing
org. Christmas decorations
make more lists
do the dishes - I just need to keep up a little better with them, the sink isn't overflowing but it's not empty either.

James said the sweetest thing the other day! He said "I don't know what has gotten into you lately but suddenly projects are getting finished, the house is neat and you are happy. Whatever it is keep doing it." It totally is the dread chore challenge.

Niphredil
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
So I've got all the stuff put away in the spare room and moved all N's toys in there... my living room is free! :woohoo I know that wasn't on my list, but it feels great.

I also got the table and the craft side of the shelves purged, scrubbed and organized.

I think I'll work on some laundry after N goes to bed.

I swear I am pre-pre-pre nesting. ;) :giggle

KatieMae
10-08-2008, 09:50 AM
* Still haven't vacuumed my curtains, cabinets or ceilings (from my list two weeks ago :bag)
* Ironing... ugh, that's my most dreaded COUS, though if I would just DO IT once a week, it wouldn't be so unusually-sized! :doh

Adding:
Scrub countertop & backsplash (entire kitchen)
Spot-clean carpet
Clean & Scotchguard entire couch/ottoman

mom2threegirls
10-08-2008, 10:01 AM
Ok......I need to do this again :sigh :( *kicking and screaming*. I've been working on projects all week and have kept the house *looking* clean if you squint your eyes :giggle but the floors are filthy and the bathrooms are too. Today I need to clean the bathrooms, vacuum the whole house, mop the kitchen dining and entry floors, and wash the sheets and bedding :phew. I'm just going to throw the bedding in right now, go for a run and shower and then I have GOT to get to that other stuff :yes2. Yuck. Why can't I just do this stuff on a regular basis so it doesn't so dirty???? Oh yeah, because I hate it :giggle :sigh.

Oh goodness, I feel for you Katiemae! I hate ironing more than anything else I think! I just don't do it anymore ;).

KatieMae
10-08-2008, 10:06 AM
Oh goodness, I feel for you Katiemae! I hate ironing more than anything else I think! I just don't do it anymore ;).

I had a reprieve from it for a while after Jude was born (PPD does not lend itself to a desire to do ironing, ya know? :giggle) but dry cleaning is just too expensive to do every week. Most of the time I have a pile of clean dress shirts on top of the dryer & I just iron one each morning when DH gets dressed :blush Not a good solution :no

RiverRock
10-08-2008, 04:17 PM
I make myself do ironing once a week so it doesn't get too out of hand. For a long time I didn't wear anything that needed ironing, except maybe to weddings and on Christmas. Now I like to dress up a little more when I run errands. I think I'm just trying to dress more for my age and not from the "junior's" department, kwim?

Anyhow, I cleaned off my kitchen hot spot so that is one COUS down. :rockon

NoodleMom
10-09-2008, 12:06 PM
I dont think Im going to get to my chores this week. :no

Niphredil
10-09-2008, 01:24 PM
I have come to announce...

there is no dirty laundry in my house! NONE!

:dance :jump2 :dance :jump2 :dance

There's a load in the wash and a small basket of socks to match and that is it. Everything else is clean and put away!

T minus 24 hours and counting til my mom lands. I think I'll make it. :yes

KatieMae
10-09-2008, 02:55 PM
:sillygrin :tu :jump2 :dance :congrats :dance :jump2 :tu :sillygrin

Yeah, I kinda didn't notice it was Thursday already :blush

klpmommy
10-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Sheesh, I haven't done mine either & E's party is here on Saturday. The good news is that the weather is supposed to be lovely so we should be able to play outside. Maybe I can just direct everyone to the backyard & skip the house. :think :shifty The basement is acceptable so they could use the restroom there & gain access directly from the backyard.

NoodleMom
10-09-2008, 09:08 PM
:sillygrin :tu :jump2 :dance :congrats :dance :jump2 :tu :sillygrin

Yeah, I kinda didn't notice it was Thursday already :blush

Sad thing is... I havent even started either one.
HubbyMan told me that we will clean out the garage this weekend. So maybe one huge project can equal two semi large chores.

Congrats Lindsay :heart Have great visit with your Mom

Lily
10-09-2008, 09:17 PM
It's thursday and I know that nothing on my list will get done. I have kept up with laundry and general picking up but for some reason my allergies have been super bad this week - making me tired and cranky and needing more sleep than normal.

TraceMama
10-10-2008, 06:05 PM
None of my COUS have gotten done either. :blush :sigh

I'm really hoping that I'll get to some of them tomorrow with dh home. :shifty

KatieMae
10-10-2008, 06:10 PM
You just HAD to pop this into my "Unread Replies" didn't you?! :P~ Okay, ten-minute-toy-tidy and then if I have anything left, I'll scrub my couch. Geeze. Slave drivers! ;)

Blue Savannah
10-10-2008, 07:49 PM
Okay, I am playing this weekend. I just can't handle much more than regular housework during the week. :bag

But I'm behind on my housework, so that is my first COUS.

Second is my scary nasty laundry room/pantry.

Lily
10-13-2008, 08:21 PM
So instead of making a list of christmas stuff....I just put up my christmas tree already. Now I know for sure what are wants and what are needs.

I think DH is going to flip when he gets home tomorrow. He thinks it is weird that my family puts up trees so early.

Ohhh and I found the cutest ornament and it was cheap so I bought it yesterday. It is a really pretty cross with a lamb with a staff in the center and has the Lord's Prayer on it.

Blue Savannah
10-13-2008, 08:27 PM
I worked hard and got caught up on my housework in the clean areas of the house. I only worked about an hour and a half in the nasty room, and progress is questionable. But the rest of the house looks good. For now. ;)

NoodleMom
10-22-2008, 09:44 AM
Whew! :phew :phew :phew

I had as one of my chores to do was clean and organize my closet. I have finally started. I organized my clothes. Jackets, jeans and slacks, dressy shirts, long sleeve pull over shirts and sweaters all in order. Now maybe I can find something other than a hoody to wear when I go somewhere.

Next will be HubbyMans side and then the shelves and the floor. Someday :sigh

Kasey

Blue Savannah
10-22-2008, 11:36 AM
I am almost done with my pantry :woohoo and am making actual progress in the laundry room. I'd love to say "I'm done!" with the pantry today, but we'll see. Dd has decided it's fun to help, and that makes the job much more enjoyable. :)

KatieMae
10-22-2008, 11:46 AM
I can't believe you girls revived this thread :haha

My ironing is STILL on top of the dryer; there are STILL stains on my floor & furniture... but I'm running the HHBC starting next week, so just wait, they'll show up ;) *evil laugh, mwa-ha-ha*

NoodleMom
10-24-2008, 11:52 AM
:yes :yes

Got his clothes organized in the closet. Suits sweaters,dress shirts, slacks, jeans.

Next will be the shelves.

Slowly but surely I am getting there.

I need to add another Dreaded Chore. Clean and organize my laundry room shelf. Right now it is all a huge mess and to get anything I need I am afraid something will fall off and hit me in the noggin. And my noggin doesnt need any more hittin. ;)

K

KatieMae
10-24-2008, 12:33 PM
You're doing so great NoodleMom! Keep it up! :rockon

Blue Savannah
10-25-2008, 08:09 AM
The weekend is here, and I'm ready to play again. I'm 3/4 done with the pantry; I need to finish that. I also want to get crafting materials organized, and kids' clothes switched out.