PDA

View Full Version : another canning tomato ?

knitlove
10-01-2008, 10:22 AM
Ok I know that if you are doing water bath canning that the acidity of the tomatoes is really critical, and thus it is important to use a canning recipe for the tomato sauce.

My Question is: Do I need to worry about using a canning recipe if I am going to presser can them? My tomato sauce recipe has a lot of onions and other stuff and I really like it but I think that it has enough other stuff in it trough off the acidity. I was also toying with the idea of trowing some meat balls in there. I was going to use the time from a canning recipe that had meet in it.

I think I know what I am doing but I greatly appreciate wisdom from all of you guys.

ThreeKids
10-01-2008, 10:25 AM
Use whatever recipe you want pressure canning. You are out to kill botulism spores, which is done at 240 degrees, which is achieved in pressure canning. You're free to go.

knitlove
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
thank you, I don't know what i would do with out the wisdom I have access to here - it is better than Google and much moor trustworthy - off to do my last batch of peachbutter.

Blue Savannah
10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
When in doubt, a call to the county extension office will also give you local advice (i.e., taking altitude, soil content, etc. into account). :heart We have to use even more acid than normal here because our soil is not acidic AT ALL.