PDA

View Full Version : Shattering Jar

arelyn
09-27-2008, 07:16 AM
DH opened the freezer just now nad found a shattered jar. It was veggie stock that I had let cool before freezing and there was still plenty of headspace for expansion. Any ideas why it shattered? I have a limited collection of canning jars and don't want to lose more.

Thanks,
~arelyn

sprout
09-28-2008, 08:07 PM
i was just going to ask you if there was enough head space...other than that, I don't know. I usually use ziplocs for my stock and it turns out fine. you might try that?

hopefully, it was just a fluke

StumblinMama
09-28-2008, 08:20 PM
I'm wondering if maybe the jar had a small crack that you didnt notice :think If it did, then that would've caused it to crack with the change in temp. being in the freezer.

Lily
09-28-2008, 09:10 PM
More than likely it was just a tiny crack you couldn't see.

If you need more jars, check out garage sales - I bought 2 brand new boxes of quart jars at my neighbors gs for $2 each.

RiverRock
09-28-2008, 09:18 PM
I had that happen to me once with soup stock, too. Reading your post made me think of a possibility: The outer layer freezes first, then when the core of the jar finally freezes, it expands and pushes out which breaks the frozen layer and has enough pressure to break the jar. :shrug Sounds like a possiblility to me. I freeze in plastic containers now.

arelyn
10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Hmmm, sounds possible, especially since I've noticed cracks in the ice of the bag frozen stock. Yeah, I've switched to plastic too, at least for really liquidy stuff like stock and cider. Thanks!!