PDA

View Full Version : can I freeze or can squash? how?

Joyful Mommy
09-23-2008, 07:17 PM
i have this delicious recipe for peanut butter squash soup, and want to take advantage of the squash while it's so cheap at this time of year. can i freeze or can it? how would i go about that?

Katigre
09-23-2008, 07:31 PM
I roast the squash in the oven and then puree it in the food processor, I line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and do 1/4 cup scoops spaced an inch or two apart. I put that in the freezer for a few hours then take it out and put all the frozen scoops in a freezer bag until I need to use them (i do this with pumpkin especially b/c i put it in our oatmeal and french toast in 1/4 cup increments - for your soup you could freeze in different sizes depending on the recipe). It keeps great for months! And even if there is some freezer burn after several months it doesn't really hurt the flavor b/c it's used for mixing into other recipes.

Joyful Mommy
09-23-2008, 07:37 PM
thanks for the suggestion! this may be a silly question, but do you think it will be okay that way even though i typically just throw the chopped, fresh squash into the water/bouillon to boil?

Katigre
09-23-2008, 07:51 PM
Do you mean that is how you originally cook it, or how it goes into the soup?

(I make a chicken noodle soup in the crockpot that is chicken broth, pureed sweet potato or cauliflower or carrots, and frozen chicken breasts - i cook it on high for a few hours, shred the breasts, and throw in the pasta for the last 15 minutes. I put the pureed vegetables in the pot frozen in scoops like I described - I don't thaw first. Now when I make french toast, I thaw the pumpking first to mix in with the eggs and spices).

Joyful Mommy
09-23-2008, 07:57 PM
:yes that's how it goes into the soup.

Katigre
09-23-2008, 08:17 PM
Oh yeah just throw the chunks in frozen - they'll melt just fine (especially if you puree beforehand).

Joyful Mommy
09-23-2008, 08:35 PM
so, you're saying roast, puree, and then freeze them for the recipe?

i forgot to mention that i do puree the squash (and yams which go along with it), water, and bouillon once they've all cooked together.

Katigre
09-23-2008, 08:40 PM
I think if you puree the squash beforehand like I do then you wouldn't need to do the puree afterward - it would all cook and blend together well with just stirring after it's all combined and hot.

Joyful Mommy
09-23-2008, 08:48 PM
thanks!
(sorry it took me so long :O ...i think it's time for bed :yawn)

Hermana Linda
09-23-2008, 10:39 PM
I think you can freeze it in whatever condition you like, as long as it's cooked. I did hear that it's ok to freeze grated zucchini, so I tried it. I hope it's ok. I also froze slightly sauteed cubes. :yes I have yet to thaw them out though.

3PeasInAPod
09-29-2008, 11:22 AM
I freeze grated zucchini & it's been fine for making bread. I just froze some raw squash...& I see the suggestion is to cook it first... :doh

Hermana Linda
09-29-2008, 08:08 PM
I've heard that freezing raw squash will make it mushy. It probably would still be good for soups or breads. :hug2

tempus vernum
10-08-2008, 05:32 AM
BTW, I freeze and can winter squash/pumpkin. for canning, you must pressure can rather than boiling water bath. I had SO much pumpkin this year that I decided to can a dozen or so while I use the ones left :rockon

I do freeze it and do it the same way that Katigre does. :rockon

Do you mean that is how you originally cook it, or how it goes into the soup?

(I make a chicken noodle soup in the crockpot that is chicken broth, pureed sweet potato or cauliflower or carrots, and frozen chicken breasts - i cook it on high for a few hours, shred the breasts, and throw in the pasta for the last 15 minutes. I put the pureed vegetables in the pot frozen in scoops like I described - I don't thaw first. Now when I make french toast, I thaw the pumpking first to mix in with the eggs and spices).
That soup sounds delicious. Are there herbs in there? :yum I want to try this