PDA

View Full Version : Balcony Herb Garden in AZ??? Any experience?

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 02:13 PM
So, I have a nice balcony and the desire to have a small herb garden, and of course, NO money :-)

Is this feasible? The balcony gets really good afternoon sun, very little rain. How deep or high would my planters have to be? What herbs would grow well in an AZ winter? Am I dreaming that this is possible to do for very little cost involved?

I'm wanting some good herbs for cooking and maybe some fragrant herbs as well. I just don't have any idea of depth and width apart, as well as what herbs I could plant in the same box. . . or what herbs would even grow in this season.

Anybody??? :heart

canadiyank
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
Well, I'm not sure about AZ, but I know cilantro would grow here now (cool-weather crop), you might try chives, basil, etc. Can you find some plants? Not sure how seeds would do right now. :think So you have an indoor windowsill where you can grow herbs? I've done well with basil inside.

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Well, I'm not sure about AZ, but I know cilantro would grow here now (cool-weather crop), you might try chives, basil, etc. Can you find some plants? Not sure how seeds would do right now. :think So you have an indoor windowsill where you can grow herbs? I've done well with basil inside.

I don't have anyplace inside I could do this. . . it would have to be outside on the balcony. . . Our winter lows here rarely get below 40 degrees. . . Daytime temps are usually sunny anywhere from 60's to 80's through the entire winter.

canadiyank
09-10-2008, 02:49 PM
I'd give it a shot...maybe go to thrift stores to look for some old pots, buy some potting soil and seeds and add water. :tu I love having fresh herbs on hand. :yes

Hermana Linda
09-10-2008, 03:04 PM
I don't think that cilantro would work. :think Ok, maybe in the winter. I plan to do cilantro this winter. Yeah, it would work in the fall and winter, but they will probably either die or go to seed in the summer. :think

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm so confused right now :O

canadiyank
09-10-2008, 04:38 PM
Linda - it's fall here that's why I said cilantro. :giggle

MamaPepper - feel free to ask for clarification. :)

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
Well, I do know our growing seasons are way different from the rest of the country b/c we don't have "cold" winters, so I would perhaps assume that we could plant things here in the winter that most of the country would plant in the summer :shrug

Maybe I'll make a list of specific things I would Like to plant and be able to ask a more specific question. . . :smile

Granola_mom
09-10-2008, 04:49 PM
Yes!!
I am a firm believer you can grow anything in AZ just about anytime of the year. Herbs grow wonderfully. We've had a couple of gardens.......one in Tempe at a organic community garden and one on the side of the house.

I have something for you.........An herb garden pack!! I've never used it and it's been sitting around my house for a while. It doesn't hurt to try. For growing on a balcony, I would be careful of cats........ but I think it all would grow great.

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Yes!!
I am a firm believer you can grow anything in AZ just about anytime of the year. Herbs grow wonderfully. We've had a couple of gardens.......one in Tempe at a organic community garden and one on the side of the house.

I have something for you.........An herb garden pack!! I've never used it and it's been sitting around my house for a while. It doesn't hurt to try. For growing on a balcony, I would be careful of cats........ but I think it all would grow great.

That sounds AWESOME! I'm 2nd floor so no cats up here! (I'll trade ya for eggs :smile)

Thanks!!!

canadiyank
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
Well, I do know our growing seasons are way different from the rest of the country b/c we don't have "cold" winters, so I would perhaps assume that we could plant things here in the winter that most of the country would plant in the summer :shrug

I think Linda's concern was it might still be too hot in AZ for cilantro...cilantro is a cool-weather crop and will "bolt" (go to seed) if it's too warm. :) I let mine go to seed so I don't really worry about temps - it grows when it's ready.

Other herbs shouldn't be a problem but cilantro is up for debate - personally I would plant it and see what happens. :shrug

Hermana Linda
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Sorry to be so confusing. About half way through my post I realized that it was almost fall. :doh So, yeah, it's fine. :bag

Hermana Linda
09-10-2008, 05:05 PM
I think Linda's concern was it might still be too hot in AZ for cilantro...cilantro is a cool-weather crop and will "bolt" (go to seed) if it's too warm. :) I let mine go to seed so I don't really worry about temps - it grows when it's ready.

:ty3 Yeah, it IS still warm here, in So Cal and I imgagine that AZ is even hotter. I'm planning to start cilantro when it gets cool enough for my other plants to die and me to work the garden to prepare it. It is barely cooling down at night.

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 05:13 PM
LOL, I see :O Ok, I'll try Cilantro. . . I'll try the herb kit from Granola Mom. . . which I guess leaves me to:

What do I plant these things in??? Do I need something BIG and deep, or will little pots or boxes do??

I'm pretty sure I want to plant Oregano, Basil, Dill, Cilantro to start with. . .

Hermana Linda
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
You'll want it kinda big or it will dry out too quickly and will be stunted by not having enough root space.

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 05:19 PM
You'll want it kinda big or it will dry out too quickly and will be stunted by not having enough root space.

I hate to be a pain, but define "kinda big" :shifty

So, like 5 gallon bucket big, or sandbox big?

canadiyank
09-10-2008, 05:24 PM
Yeah, a 5 gal bucket would be fine, but I'd probably find large flower pots at a thrift store and plant a plant/few seeds in each one. Dill gets pretty big, though, so a 5 gal bucket might work well for that (with a hole in the bottom).

MamaPepper
09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
OK, I'll DO IT!!!

THANK YOU!

Hopefully in a couple months I won't be posting questions about what to do with a dead Herb Garden :-)

canadiyank
09-10-2008, 08:36 PM
:giggle

Hermana Linda
09-10-2008, 10:38 PM
:cheer