PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Cake frosting made with coconut oil?

bananacake
08-29-2008, 11:30 AM
Can I make a cake frosting using coconut oil as the fat? If so, how? I'm dairy/soy/corn/wheat & nut free.

poleidopy
08-29-2008, 11:35 AM
mix agave nectar, coconut oil and cocoa/carob/cacao. It makes the MOST delicious chocolate mixture EVER. You will have to keep it refrigerated after you frost your cake, but it's SO yummy. You will find yourself eating a lot of it...so make extra. :shifty

poleidopy
08-29-2008, 11:36 AM
oh, and if you refrigerate it-it tastes like a chocolate bar...a really heavenly chocolate bar. and you can drizzle it on fruit (not refrigerated though) or dip fruit in it, then refrigerate, then eat your chocolate covered fruit later. :yum

RealLifeMama
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
When I was dairy free, I just used it with the same measurement I normally would for the fat in my regular buttercream icing.

bananacake
08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
You guys are quick!

mix agave nectar, coconut oil and cocoa/carob/cacao. It makes the MOST delicious chocolate mixture EVER. You will have to keep it refrigerated after you frost your cake, but it's SO yummy. You will find yourself eating a lot of it...so make extra. :shifty

What if I don't have agave?

RealLifeMama
08-29-2008, 11:53 AM
I just realized that if you are corn free, you can't use powdered sugar. :doh
Maybe honey or brown rice syrup?

celestial princess
08-29-2008, 12:04 PM
i made a coconut oil/honey frosting last year. eh. it sort of tasted piney to me.

bananacake
08-29-2008, 12:10 PM
I have brown rice syrup. I may even ave some corn-free confectioner that I made :think

bananacake
08-29-2008, 12:13 PM
Hmm.... all the buttercream recipes call for dry milk, etc. I also don't have any rice milk,, or I'd be making my standard icing.

bananacake
08-29-2008, 12:14 PM

And is this equal parts, or just till it tastes good?

RealLifeMama
08-29-2008, 12:30 PM
I've never made BC with dry milk, just fat, powdered sugar, flavoring, and liquid. You can use water for milk just fine.

Katigre
08-29-2008, 02:32 PM
There is a recipe I found on allrecipes.com that I just subbed coconut oil and rice milk for and it was very rich and tasty - you just have to remember to warm the bowl in hot water to make the frosting spreadable if you let it sit for too long (and if it's hot out then it will be too melty).

INGREDIENTS
1/4 cup margarine, melted
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/3 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar

DIRECTIONS
In a large bowl, beat margarine and cocoa together until combined. Add milk and vanilla; beat until smooth. Gradually beat in confectioners' sugar until desired consistency is achieved. Adjust with more milk or confectioners' sugar if necessary.

poleidopy
08-29-2008, 02:37 PM

And is this equal parts, or just till it tastes good?

just until it tastes good. And you might be able to use honey or rice syrup. :think :shrug

bananacake
08-29-2008, 06:47 PM
This is what I ended up doing:

Brown Rice Syrup
Coconut Oil
Cocoa Powder
Vanilla Extract
Shredded Coconut (at the least minute)

I heated it up because the coconut oil was solid. Is there another way to handle this?

It was so good on my gluten-free chocolate cake :yum

Katydid
08-29-2008, 07:11 PM
I heated it up because the coconut oil was solid. Is there another way to handle this?

I would think, because CO has such a low melting point that even just the friction of mixing with a hand mixer would make it spreadable. :think

Your frosting sounds yummy! :yum

poleidopy
08-29-2008, 07:26 PM
Coconut oil is better for you if you don't heat it. And it's melting point is very low. like if you take a glob and rub it in your hands it melts really fast. I would think the friction of mixing it would melt it, or you could leave it on the top of the stove while your oven is on (when you cook your cake) and that should warm it enough, or just the counter by the stove if it gets really hot. :yes

bananacake
08-30-2008, 06:22 AM
Coconut oil is better for you if you don't heat it. And it's melting point is very low. like if you take a glob and rub it in your hands it melts really fast. I would think the friction of mixing it would melt it, or you could leave it on the top of the stove while your oven is on (when you cook your cake) and that should warm it enough, or just the counter by the stove if it gets really hot. :yes

It had been in the fridge and I was impatient :shifty It's so hot here that it's hard to use if it's all liquid-y.

poleidopy
08-30-2008, 06:23 AM
:giggle