PDA

View Full Version : Quick! Ground beef meal for tonight

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:08 PM
I had planned on posting for a nice meatloaf recipe (mine isn't so good), but since the beef is not fully defrosted I think I am going to have to fry it up before I do anything with it. :no2 I have 2 lbs of meat.

I do NOT want anything with red tomato sauce tonight, we've had too many italian meals lately.

We are dairy-free as well.

Ideas?

domesticzookeeper
08-28-2008, 01:13 PM
Got any beans and tomatoes? You could make chili.

Marzipan
08-28-2008, 01:14 PM
tacos?

Katiebug
08-28-2008, 01:16 PM
You could always defrost in the microwave :bag

Mama Calidad
08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
If you have some dairy-free substitutes, you could do tater tot casserole or shepherd's pie.

KatieMae
08-28-2008, 01:18 PM
BBQ sandwiches? (like, sloppy joes, I mean) If that sounds good, I can share my recipe for the sauce - I'm sure you've got all the stuff in your house already.

Tuesdayschild
08-28-2008, 01:19 PM
fry up with an onion, garlic, any other vegetables you fancy; stock cube for extra flavor :duck (sorry, no tomatoes); stuff into peppers or zucchini or similar; cover with cheese, oven for 35 mins :)

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:19 PM
Got any beans and tomatoes? You could make chili.

I do, but I really can't stomach anything with tomatoes today--definitely tomatoed out! We have chili almost weekly, but thanks for the suggestion!

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:20 PM
tacos?

No lettuce or tomatoes at the moment and only tortilla chips which would work IMO.

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:21 PM
You could always defrost in the microwave :bag

I could--it's almost there... :think

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:22 PM
If you have some dairy-free substitutes, you could do tater tot casserole or shepherd's pie.

I'm out of potatoes and we don't tend to buy tater tots. Can you give me your tator tot casserole recipe for future use?

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:22 PM
BBQ sandwiches? (like, sloppy joes, I mean) If that sounds good, I can share my recipe for the sauce - I'm sure you've got all the stuff in your house already.

That sounds really good to me right now, but I know that at least 1 kid and dh won't eat it. Can you give the recipe anyway? Maybe I'll give them something else :giggle

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:24 PM
fry up with an onion, garlic, any other vegetables you fancy; stock cube for extra flavor :duck (sorry, no tomatoes); stuff into peppers or zucchini or similar; cover with cheese, oven for 35 mins :)

That sounds good, too. I wish I had some peppers or zucchini. ATM, I have only carrots and frozen veggies in the house--mixed veggies, broccoli and maybe some corn.

:giggle at your tomato

Tuesdayschild
08-28-2008, 01:26 PM
OK, forget the peppers. Cook rice, mix it with the beef, cover it with dairy-free cheese or breadcrumbs and bake for 20mins

The swedes have a 'kiddy favorite' something like this, let me see if I can find it...

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:27 PM
I'm usually good at making something out of nothing and tonight I have no imagination whatsoever. Just feeling spent.

I have rice, I have an onion, I have carrots, I have spices, I have some frozen veggies,

I wonder if the BBQ stuff that Katiemae suggested would work over rice :think I could then make a veggie on the side.

I'm too lazy to make a pie crust at the moment, or I'd make a pot pie with meat, gravy and mixed veggies.

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:28 PM
OK, forget the peppers. Cook rice, mix it with the beef, cover it with dairy-free cheese or breadcrumbs and bake for 20mins

The swedes have a 'kiddy favorite' something like this, let me see if I can find it...

O.k. I'll wait to see what you come up with. BTW, I have no DF substitutes in the house either--LOL. I KNOW I'm being difficult here!

Wonder if I can make some sort of soup or something with it?

Tuesdayschild
08-28-2008, 01:29 PM
See if you can modify this http://manne.typepad.com/tummyrumble/2005/11/recipe_sharing_.html

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
here's our sloppy joe recipe. I really like it.

1lb ground beef (or in our house it's ground venison)
1/2 c. diced bell pepper
1/2 c. diced onion
~I dice the pepper and onion in my food processor. Brown the three together until the meat is done and the veggies are cooked through

add:
3/4 c. ketchup
1 tbsp of mustard
3 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp-ish (I eyeball it) garlic powder
salt & pepper to taste

keep cooking until it's nice and warm (only a couple more minutes).

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:33 PM
Oh man, I'm drooling over that one--it sounds really, really yummy. I don't think I can modify it though. How can you substitute cream? Rice milk just doesn't cut it. Putting that one in my back pocket for when I've finished nursing!

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:34 PM

1/2 c. diced bell pepper
1/2 c. diced onion
~I dice the pepper and onion in my food processor. Brown the three together until the meat is done and the veggies are cooked through

add:
3/4 c. ketchup
1 tbsp of mustard
3 tbsp brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste

Thanks! I have everything except the peppers. Do you think it will make a huge difference to leave them out? For some reason I think I can deal with ketchup, but not canned tomatoes like crushed tomatoes. That is weird. No I am not pregnant, just weird

Mama Calidad
08-28-2008, 01:35 PM

I'm out of potatoes and we don't tend to buy tater tots. Can you give me your tator tot casserole recipe for future use?

Fry up some hamburger (Optional: with onion and garlic). Drain. Add one can of cream of mushroom soup. Put the mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with some frozen veggie (mixed, corn or peas work well). Top that with a layer of tater tots. Bake until the tater tots are crispy. If you have a dairy-free cheese that melts, I put cheese on top and pop it back in the oven until it's melted.

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:35 PM
Wonder if I can make some sort of soup or something with it?

taco soup :shrug

Tuesdayschild
08-28-2008, 01:36 PM
Oh man, I'm drooling over that one--it sounds really, really yummy. I don't think I can modify it though. How can you substitute cream? Rice milk just doesn't cut it. Putting that one in my back pocket for when I've finished nursing!

blendered tofu?

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:36 PM

Fry up some hamburger (Optional: with onion and garlic). Drain. Add one can of cream of mushroom soup. Put the mixture in the bottom of a casserole dish. Top with some frozen veggie (mixed, corn or peas work well). Top that with a layer of tater tots. Bake until the tater tots are crispy. If you have a dairy-free cheese that melts, I put cheese on top and pop it back in the oven until it's melted.

cream of mushroom soup is out....dairy :/ (we're df in our home too)

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:37 PM
I don't see why you couldn't do the recipe w/o the pepper. It'll have a different taste, but I don't think it'd be bad. :shrug

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:38 PM

blendered tofu?

LOL--don't have any tofu either!

Mama Calidad
08-28-2008, 01:39 PM

I've bought a dairy-free version at the HFS before. Campbells doesn't work, but :shrug Here's a recipe for a homemade version that's dairy free:
http://mustfollowrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/11/dairy-free-cream-of-mushroom-soup.html

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
do you have any red wine or cooking wine?

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't see why you couldn't do the recipe w/o the pepper. It'll have a different taste, but I don't think it'd be bad. :shrug

I need to decide soon. I'm down to two choices for tonight--feel free to add ideas anyhow.

I'm either going to make a meatloaf (after defrosting the meat in the microwave) or I'm going to make the sloppy joe things or serve it over rice.

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:41 PM

I've bought a dairy-free version at the HFS before. Campbells doesn't work, but :shrug Here's a recipe for a homemade version that's dairy free:
http://mustfollowrecipes.blogspot.com/2007/11/dairy-free-cream-of-mushroom-soup.html

THANK YOU for that! Opens up some more possibilities :giggle

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:41 PM
do you have any red wine or cooking wine?

I've got some white wine.. Whatcha thinkin'?

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:43 PM
thanks for sharing that cream of mushroom recipe :tu I'm going to bookmark it. That opens up tons of possibilities for cooking!

eh, white wine really doesn't go with red meat. Darn!

What I was thinking was cooking your meat in red wine, maybe some herbs. serve with noodles or even rice would work. But I don't think it'd have a good flavor with white wine.

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 01:44 PM
thanks for sharing that cream of mushroom recipe :tu I'm going to bookmark it. That opens up tons of possibilities for cooking!

eh, white wine really doesn't go with red meat. Darn!

What I was thinking was cooking your meat in red wine, maybe some herbs. serve with noodles or even rice would work. But I don't think it'd have a good flavor with white wine.

I was considering just making some sort of a gravy and doing that. Like I would if I made the meat pie. Kinda make the filling and serve over rice instead of in a crust.

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:46 PM
okay - so how about browning your meat - leave in the grease. Adding some beef stock and flour. Mushrooms if you have them. serve over rice.

I'd also add some onion powder and some garlic powder to add some taste. Salt & pepper

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 01:48 PM
We were going to have meatballs & red sauce for dinner. I think I've now changed my mind :shifty I think we're going to do the meat and gravy with rice.

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 02:13 PM
O.k.--here's what I ended up doing...

Brown the ground beef with 1/2 an onion. Drain the fat. Added 3 diced carrots. Added some garlic powder and onion powder as well as some bouillion and some water. Cooked for a few minutes Then, I made a slurry with some corn starch and water and thickened up the gravy. Added some pepper and voila--done.

We will serve over rice.

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 02:31 PM
yummy! Let us know how the family liked it :wink

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 03:14 PM
yummy! Let us know how the family liked it :wink

It went over well with a high percentage of diners enjoying it.

Ds17yo had thirds, dh had seconds, dd11yo ate a portion (she generally doesn't eat meat) ds13yo balks at anything that's not plain, but he did eat rice and broccoli, dd1yo loved it, dd5yo noticed onions, so stuck to rice and broccoli.

blessedwithboys
08-28-2008, 03:15 PM

1/2 c. diced bell pepper
1/2 c. diced onion

add:
3/4 c. ketchup
1 tbsp of mustard
3 tbsp brown sugar
salt & pepper to taste

Morgan, I made this for dinner and it's DELISH! :yum Thanks so much! No more canned Manwich sauce for us! :no

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 03:30 PM
that was my exact thought Karen. It's such a yummy recipe. I found it online, but I don't remember where.

diamondintherough
08-28-2008, 07:32 PM
That sloppy joe recipe is going into my repetoire for sure--looks easy and yummy and no junk in it. I'll have to actually make it when dh isn't home though--he doesn't like Sloppy Joe's. I may also try it with lentils--someone on here was using lentils instead of beef and that sounded fantastic (and cheap), too!

Naked Camper
08-28-2008, 09:09 PM
it is super easy. I can have dinner on the table in 20 minutes on sloppy joe night - and that because the tots take 20 min to cook. the meat is ready in about 15 from prep to finish. :tu

we ended up having ground burger with a wine and mushroom sauce, served over rice. It was :yum Granted I have no clue what I put in it...so I will have to guess again next time.

diamondintherough
09-24-2008, 02:09 PM
I just made the sloppy joes and snuck a taste--MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

Dh is away so I decided to try it out. Quick and easy. :rockon

Naked Camper
09-25-2008, 07:00 AM
:grin

me
09-25-2008, 07:04 AM
i cant stomach regular ground beef and the taste of organic is a bit to wild for me, i bet that sloppy joe recipe would hide it just fine!
im gonna buy some GROUND BEEF!!! :smile
... :shifty sorry didnt mean to get carried away :giggle

diamondintherough
09-25-2008, 08:28 AM
i cant stomach regular ground beef and the taste of organic is a bit to wild for me, i bet that sloppy joe recipe would hide it just fine!
im gonna buy some GROUND BEEF!!! :smile
... :shifty sorry didnt mean to get carried away :giggle

LOL--you could try it with ground turkey or chicken or the lentils as suggested above. That being said, I do think that the sauce would hide any "wild" taste that you are concerned about.

shirelingmum
10-08-2008, 05:29 PM
taco soup! then u can add whatever u like!