PDA

View Full Version : Can I can baked beans?

Psyche
08-28-2008, 08:14 AM
DS really loves baked beans but he recently started reacting (we think to mustard). So i'm going to try my own tomato free/mustard free beans this week and see if he reacts. Is it something I can can? How do you can when you have limited pantry space?

Iarwain
08-28-2008, 09:44 AM
You can can them in a pressure canner. A water bath won't do it for beans.

For limited pantry space I put the full jars elsewhere. I have shelves in the cellar that I use but when I lived in a smaller house I stuck extra jars wherever I could find space. You could even put them back in their box and store them under the bed or stack boxes in a closet until you need to pull a couple more for the pantry.

tempus vernum
10-08-2008, 05:28 AM
:yes pressure canning :yes

DS really loves baked beans but he recently started reacting (we think to mustard). So i'm going to try my own tomato free/mustard free beans this week and see if he reacts. Is it something I can can? How do you can when you have limited pantry space?

I have made canned beans - not super often - one tip if you do can them is to undercook them (they will cook in the pressure canner).

I have very limited pantry space and my shelves downstairs usually hold my bulk foods. For homemade canned foods, I keep the canning jar boxes, label them, and stack them. This way I can see what each box contains and just shift the boxes so I can get out what I need. I *was* trying also to cross off an item if it's out. For example, one of my current boxes has 8 apple sauce and 4 green/wax beans. I intend to cross of whichever runs out first if I can remember - unlikely :shifty but. . . it's an idea. I canned considerable less than I wanted to this year :( so this isn't a huge issue

Blue Savannah
10-08-2008, 06:46 AM
If you have room, freezing beans works really well, too. Depending on how many you were planning on making. :)