PDA

View Full Version : Bread flour, is it the same as all purpose flour??

HummusDip
08-26-2008, 05:54 PM
I have some normal organic all purpose flour. White, but not bleached white. Is that ok for bread recipes for my bread machine? Or do I need "bread flour"?

Chris3jam
08-26-2008, 05:55 PM
Regular flour is not the same. The protein is higher in the bread flour. You can use "regular" flour, but it won't be as good.

ThreeKids
08-26-2008, 05:57 PM
I can just tell you the difference. Bread flour has more protein so it has more potential to form a strong baked item. All purpose flour is a medium amount of protein. I think the low one is some kind of pastry flour. I say give it a try. What do you have to lose?

Lady TS
08-26-2008, 05:58 PM
I add gluten to all-purpose flour when I don't have bread flour. I think it's like a teaspoon of gluten per cup of flour or a little less.

Singingmom
08-26-2008, 05:59 PM
I bake bread with a combination of unbleached all purpose and whole wheat all the time. I tend to forget about bread flour. :shrug3 It turns out very well for me.

ViolaMum
08-26-2008, 06:05 PM
Bread flour will also give you a chewier texture. Regular sandwich breads and the like turn out just fine with ap flour. For artisan-style loaves and specialty things like focaccia and bagels I use bread flour.

Adding gluten is a good tip, too. I can buy it in a box (Vital Wheat Gluten) at Whole Foods. It's a great addition to regular whole wheat flour breads, too.

Raspberries
08-26-2008, 06:06 PM
I bake bread with a combination of unbleached all purpose and whole wheat all the time. I tend to forget about bread flour. :shrug3 It turns out very well for me.

:yes