PDA

View Full Version : What's wrong with my corn?

Aerynne
08-25-2008, 03:06 PM
Most of the ears are small and poorly kernelified (if that's a word). Instead of rows and rows of kernels a lot are "missing". There have been wasps all over them all summer so I thought they were well-pollinated (and the wasps did not eat the extra kernels- I know that- they just never grew)

Atarah
08-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Corn is generally wind pollinated. If they were in a single row, and the wind generally blows perpendicular to the row, it would be unlikely that they got pollinated. Not sure if that is your 'problem', though.

Aerynne
08-25-2008, 03:51 PM
Hmmm. I do square foot gardening, and there were three corn plants in a square foot. The ears at the top were miniscule, but the ones near the bottom were of a normal size.

Hermana Linda
08-25-2008, 04:43 PM
Sounds like a pollination problem to me. I have never tried corn because I read that it was wind pollinated and needed a square of like 6x6 which takes up too much space. I checked out the sq ft website (http://www.squarefootgardening.com/html/stripes/crop/2.html) and it said 4 per sq ft, but it shows a lot of corn in the pic so I don't know how few you can get away with. :shrug