PDA

View Full Version : Need ideas for "natural" frosting colors...and QUICK

Serafine
08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Okay, so I am making a Larry Boy costume for DS's birthday next weekend (the 30th is the party)...but I need to know how to make purple and green frosting out of natural, but not nasty, ingredients.

Thanks in advance.

Aisling
08-21-2008, 12:59 PM
Oh, goodness...I've had some luck with chlorophyll and green. Not sure about the purple!

deena
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
hmmm. Purple is red and blue. How about raspberries and blueberries? Or beets are always a guaranteed red if the raspberries don't work.

Singingmom
08-21-2008, 01:02 PM
purple...beet juice, concord grape juice, raspberry juice, elderberry juice.. some more pink than purple :think

ooh, good idea to add blueberries!

Serafine
08-21-2008, 01:03 PM
Thanks ladies...so, where do I find this chloryphyll? And, is it nasty?

And, blueberries may actually work really well on their own for the purple. :think THey always seem to turn our smoothies purple.

Also...any recipes for yummy, but semi-healthy frosting...or is the powdered sugar/butter/milk option my best bet?

klpmommy
08-21-2008, 01:04 PM
http://www.naturalcandystore.com/

they have some food dyes, too. I haven't tried them, but my kids like the lollipops. :)

the natural colors are not going to be as bright & vibrant as the dye ones. What about putting a cut out of Larry boy on the cake with white or chocolate frosting instead? Or a toy of him?

Serafine
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
http://www.naturalcandystore.com/

they have some food dyes, too. I haven't tried them, but my kids like the lollipops. :)

the natural colors are not going to be as bright & vibrant as the dye ones. What about putting a cut out of Larry boy on the cake with white or chocolate frosting instead? Or a toy of him?

Okay, that is a good idea...but...ummm...(showing my complete incompetence here :shifty) where do I get Larry Boy toys.

Off to google.

klpmommy
08-21-2008, 03:19 PM
I know I have seen them in the past at Family Christian bookstores.

Serafine
08-21-2008, 03:22 PM
Thanks!!!!! I ended up finding a recipe for a fondant larry boy cake...SOOOO COOOOL! But, DH looked at me like :hunh...then he clarified that he didn't want me all stressed out making it. Which I might get...but I so want to have "made it myself." ya know?

Oh, decisions, decisions...