PDA

View Full Version : the meltdowns after friends come over or after we visit friends

Beauty4Ashes
08-15-2008, 10:42 AM
Ds1 has these huge meltdowns, bigger than what I've seen in a really long time. I think part of the problem yesterday and today was that it was getting too close to lunch. He and ds2 did not want to share these cars with their friends at the neighbor's house yesterday, so I told them that since they were tired/hungry and not sharing, we would have to go home. Ds2 wasn't happy about it, but ds1 was having a meltdown for a good half an hour. I tried getting him to eat something, holding him in a bear hug because ds1 was starting to slam things around and I was concerned that he was going to break something, I tried having him go to his room/taking him some place quiet to calm down with me. His teacher in NY said that sometimes having him count to ten would help to re-center him. Ignoring him isn't a good option because he starts throwing things around that he is not supposed to. I think part of the problem is that we aren't getting so much time out with friends because most of the parents work full time and the kids are in day care. Before there were tons of sahm's with small children outside to play with, so when he does get time with friends, he doesn't want to come home. I'm working on getting him outdoor time every day and/or time with friends. What he seems to want is to play with the neighbor's toys. I guess buying him those dratted Thomas the Tank Engine toys could be an option, but he and ds2 fight over them. What do I do? These intense meltdowns will be the death of me.

Spanish Rose
08-15-2008, 05:57 PM
My kids always hated leaving. Oy vey, the scenes they would make! :bag

I think part of the problem, with this and other transitions, is that kids have such a poor sense of the future. :think

Does he do this every time?

Marsha
08-15-2008, 07:11 PM
I think also with mine she gets overstimulated and therefore the ugly fits. Four was particularly bad, with 4.5 peaking the huge temper tantrums. :hug2

Beauty4Ashes
08-16-2008, 10:49 AM
Today they played at their friends' house for an hour. They'd eaten lunch and didn't create a scene when friends' grandma brought them back because it was her dgc's nap time. I think what may have made a difference is that they didn't go over hungry. All they wanted when they came back was to eat, they're having some banana, some raisins, pretzels, and peanuts right now.