PDA

View Full Version : Whole Wheat Berry

Littledisciples
08-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Can I store it in the freezer for longer life? What is the best way to store it. I found that I can buy it in bulk for like 47cents a pound. Or I can buy it in a big bag for 1.57 I am wondering though how would be the best way to store it not ground or anything?

Amber
08-11-2008, 09:54 PM
I store mine in a plastic bin in my pantry. Since I bought 50lb at a time, I don't have room in my freezer for it.

rstump
08-12-2008, 05:30 AM
I store whole grains in 5 gal buckets with lids. They keep fine. No need to freeze unless already ground/rolled/etc.

Littledisciples
08-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Thank You so much.

Chris3jam
08-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Just in a cool, dry dark place is fine. Don't forget to put a few bay leaves in the bucket/bin with the grain. I don't recommend storing grain in the freezer because of the condensation.

Littledisciples
08-12-2008, 02:05 PM
Just in a cool, dry dark place is fine. Don't forget to put a few bay leaves in the bucket/bin with the grain. I don't recommend storing grain in the freezer because of the condensation.

What are the bay leaves for? Never heard of that before.

Chris3jam
08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
The bay leaves keep the bugs out, and keep any bug eggs that may be in there from hatching, :)

Littledisciples
08-12-2008, 03:15 PM
The bay leaves keep the bugs out, and keep any bug eggs that may be in there from hatching, :)

Oh didn't know that. Definatly going to do that then. How many should I place in their? A few or a lot? Sorry for bugging you.

Chris3jam
08-12-2008, 04:41 PM
Sorry for bugging you.
:giggle No pun intended? :giggle
For a 50 lb. bucket, I put in about a handful, distributed throughout. Or, if they were smaller leaves, I would tie them up in a muslin bag, and stick it down in there. That would be anywhere between 6 to 10 good sized leaves.

Littledisciples
08-12-2008, 05:18 PM
Sorry for bugging you.
:giggle No pun intended? :giggle
For a 50 lb. bucket, I put in about a handful, distributed throughout. Or, if they were smaller leaves, I would tie them up in a muslin bag, and stick it down in there. That would be anywhere between 6 to 10 good sized leaves.

LOL didn't realize the pun. :giggle I am chasing after a two year old and typing. :phew Thanks for the info that is just what I needed to know.