PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read The Four Season Harvest

BeasleyQ
07-24-2008, 02:56 PM
By Eric Coleman?
I'm wondering if someone could answer some questions for me.
#1 Does this book suggest growing plants in the ground surrounded by wooden planks and covered by glass (or plastic?) I think that's what the preview was saying.... if that's the case,
#2 Would this work for an "above-ground garden" as in a garden bed, or does that significantly decrease the amount of heat that is saved in the process?
Our town sprays for mosquitoes, and has been for I don't know how many years. As a result, I'm not comfortable consuming anything grown in our dirt. But I would love to have a year-round garden. Greenhouses just don't seem to be in the cards right now (financial restrictions among other things), but I think we could manage this concept (if I understand it correctly) if it would work above ground as well.

Has anyone grown a winter garden before?

Hermana Linda
07-25-2008, 02:52 PM
I have, but in So Cal, that's when we can grow crops that don't like hot weather.

Macky
07-30-2008, 08:19 PM
What zone are you in, BeasleyQ?

I read the reviews for that book on Amazon a while ago and thought it looked interesting, too. However, the idea of a year-round garden in zone 2 is quite impossible without a heated greenhouse, which is too costly for us, so I never did order the book.

From what you describe, it essentially sounds like a regular cold frame - something you'd use to gradually harden off seedlings in the spring. I don't see any reason why a cold frame couldn't be built over a raised bed. I would think it would be even warmer than if set on the ground. Raised beds always thaw faster in the spring even here. The wood frame of the raised bed also, I would think, provide some insulation. Of course, this all is subject to how cold it actually gets in the winter where you live.

Building plans for cold frames can be found in quite a few reputable books out there. I know one of the ones I have has quite detailed instructions including formulas to calculate the angle of the glass lid with regards to your latitude (ie. what specific angle will gather the most sunlight). That book is:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Organic-Grower-Techniques-Gardeners/dp/093003175X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1217473573&sr=8-1
Superb book even if you aren't on that scale. Lots of info on extending your garden season.

If you're climate is suitable, I think The Four Season Harvest sounds like a great book. :)