PDA

View Full Version : Going to see some dogs tomorrow

lmgeenw
07-16-2008, 08:30 PM
I called the poodle organization in my state and talked to the president and one of the breeders. After a long conversation, I decided that if we get a dog, I definitely want a poodle. I was leaning toward that or a miniature schnauzer, but I think a poodle is a better fit. So then I called the poodle rescue organization because we really don't want a puppy. I was told that they really don't get many dogs and if they do, they don't usually know their backgrounds. She said the chances of us finding a younger dog that we know isn't from a puppy mill is pretty slim. After all the reading I have done on puppy mills, I am not ready to take the risk of having a dog that could have serious genetic problems.

So anyway, both these women told me about a breeder who has two 5 month old toy poodles that she is trying to sell. I wanted a miniature poodle because I am a little nervous about having such a small dog, especially with little children and standard poodle is way too big for our house. But the reason she hasn't been able to sell these is because they are too big. She think they will be way over 10 inches and they can't be above this to show them. The dogs are already house trained. Beyond that, I am not sure how much training they have had. She is an excellent breeder though. Her dogs have wons tons of awards, she has a guarantee, will always take the dog back, has a spay/neuter contract, etc. She has 2 males and is selling them for $400 and her dogs usually go for $1000-$1800. My only concern is with the size and also that the dogs haven't been around kids much. She has a 9 year old grandaughter but that is it.

Any thoughts? Any ideas what to look for when we get there? Everything I read is about choosing and training a puppy and these aren't exactly puppies.

Amber
07-16-2008, 11:31 PM
If these are puppies that have been living in her house I would expect them to already have some house manners and know some basic commands at 5mo.

I would play with them, let your kids play with them. Watch and see if they seem timid and shy, or outgoing. Watch and see if they respond well to any commands they are given and how the breeder interacts with them.

Follow your instincts. No matter how cute they are, or how much your kids beg :giggle, if your gut is telling you that neither of them is the right fit for your family then walk away and keep looking.

lmgeenw
07-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Follow your instincts. No matter how cute they are, or how much your kids beg :giggle, if your gut is telling you that neither of them is the right fit for your family then walk away and keep looking.

That is what I am afraid of. My kids will fall in love. Or that we will all fall in love and the breeder will decide not to sell the dog to us because we have a one year old. She does know this and she still said we could come. My kids have been talking all day about bringing our dog home even though I have said a hundred times that we might not get one. :nails

blessedwithboys
07-17-2008, 06:57 AM
It sounds like a great opportunity! If Poodle Rescue is recommending them I'd feel very comfortable. :yes IME a miniature (not toy) poodle is a fantastic size for a family with children! :rockon 5 months old is still a very flexible age to get used to kids. General temperament is really going to determine how good they are with the kids more than the exposure level anyway.

ps- I'm pm'ing you back today as soon as we get home from the pool. I'm so sorry I forgot. :O I do think about you guys all the time!

lmgeenw
07-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Thanks Karen! I just have to ask you all my dog questions! :giggle I'm not sure how big these dogs will be. Somewhere between a toy and a miniature I guess. The smallest dog I have ever had is a cocker, so toy dogs are a whole different thing. It seems weird to me that you could train something that small and also not step on them! I guess we never stepped on our cats when I was a kid. I was thinking maybe if we decide to get this dog, we could feed him super healthy and we can try and grow him even bigger. lol. We're leaving in a few minutes.

Looking forward to your email Karen!