PDA

View Full Version : Flowers in my grass?

Benjaminswife
07-15-2008, 05:49 AM
How can I get flowers to grow in my grass? Some of the houses...actually a lot of houses around here have tiny flowers growing in their grass. Would they be called wildflowers? Does anyone know what I mean?

Benjaminswife
07-15-2008, 05:49 AM
Actually there are a couple little flowers I see growing near our fence but that is about it.

BHope
07-15-2008, 05:58 AM
You're making me laugh. Probably the flowers are a product of a weed or some sort of creeper. We had beautiful white flowers last year in our grass. Our neighbors were not nearly as excited by it. I think they called them weeds. :giggle They were so low lying that we'd mow and the flowers would be unscathed. So I waited till winter and ripped the weeds out, and this summer -viola!- no flowers. :phew

Macky
07-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Can you describe the ones you want? "Flowers in the grass" is pretty general. :)

We have tiny little purple violets that pop up in our lawn. Johnny Jump-ups I think they're called. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Viola_tricolor My neighbour has a beautiful mass of them and gave me some a few years ago, but they liked our grass better than the flower bed, lol. If you let them go to seed, you'll find them EVERYWHERE in short stead. If they're in the lawn, they'll get chopped off by the mower, but grow back and flower before you mow next.

Benjaminswife
07-15-2008, 08:36 AM
Those are what I would like. Or ones like that. So would I have to buy seeds and just sprinkle? If I had some of the flowers I wanted could I sprinkle those in the lawn?

Thanks ladies. I am so ignorant about flowers :lol:

GodChick
07-15-2008, 08:40 AM
we have creepe mrtyle trees, and though the flowers aren't growing in the grass, they fall into the grass, and the grass is full of pretty little flowers. lots of lilttle flowers all over -- the kids love 'em.

MidnightCafe
07-15-2008, 08:41 AM
We have Creeping Charlie and also some little yellow flowers. Most people hate this stuff because Creeping Charlie will spread absolutely everywhere, and it's considered a weed. I like it. So, we leave it alone, and our neighbors don't really care either.

If you do a google search for little purple flowers or little yellow flowers in the lawn, you will mostly find search results about how to get rid of these things. ;)

Macky
07-15-2008, 10:19 PM
http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/annuals/pansies/helenmount

Mine look exactly like this except they're all purple, two shades (only tiny bit of yellow in the centre).

Yup, you can just scatter the seeds and see what happens, or you could start some indoors in pots, put them out as transplants and let them go to seed as well.

Another option could be a low-growing clover - the flowers are usually white.

Hermana Linda
07-15-2008, 11:08 PM
They sure are pretty. :yes

Benjaminswife
07-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Thank you :) I am going to see what they have at the local garden store.

mellifera
07-16-2008, 10:44 AM
I've seen lawns where people have planted crocus bulbs throughout the sod and it looks so pretty in the spring, before the grass really gets going.

Rea T
07-29-2008, 06:21 AM
I've seen lawns where people have planted crocus bulbs throughout the sod and it looks so pretty in the spring, before the grass really gets going.

Oooh, I want to do that! I love crocuses. And johnny jump ups too.

joy
07-29-2008, 09:55 AM
Some of those lawn flowers, like clover, are actually good for the soil - or better for the soil than grass. So it's kinda eco-friendly to have some of the lawn flowers tossed in to a lawn. If you use a weed control chemical, you'll kill them though - so it's really all part of having an organic and chemical-free yard.

mom2threegirls
07-30-2008, 01:29 PM

I did that at our old house and it was really pretty. It was great because the crocuses were dying right at the same time the lawn needed to be mowed for the first time in the spring :tu. They are easy to plant too- just use one of those pokey weed tools and make a little slit in the grass and stick the bulb in and you can't even tell on the surface of the grass that it had a bulb planted underneath. They're cheap too!

Macky
07-30-2008, 02:04 PM
I love seeing the crocus in the spring, too! Around here, they're only wild in places like overgrazed pastures. It seems they thrive on low soil quality. Is that true for cultivated ones, too? Would a conventional, well-maintained lawn be too rich for them?