PDA

View Full Version : Biodegradable kitty litter

ServantofGod
07-14-2008, 01:59 PM
Hi. I hope someone can inform me; I've been looking on the web, but I'm not finding quite what I'm looking for.

In an effort to use fewer and fewer (and perhaps nearly eliminate) plastic bags, I am rethinking my kitty litter. I use a scoopable litter (clay-based), which I usually scoop into a plastic bag, tie off, and throw in the trash.

I live on ten wooded acres and am thinking of scooping the waste into a box and chucking it in the woods. I think, though, that I have to specifically get a biodegradable cat litter to do this. Am I right about this? Also, does anyone have experience with bio. cat litter? I used Swheet Scoop a while years ago, but there was something about it I didn't like; I think it stunk after a little while.

Of course, in the best of all worlds, the litter would also be at least comparable in price to clay-based scoop litter.

Amber
07-14-2008, 02:46 PM
There is a recycled newspaper one called Yesterday's News. But it isn't clumpable, so it may be a little more difficult to clean out the litter box.

I tried changing my cat over to a wheat based one a month or so ago so that I could flush it, but my cat wasn't too fond of it and started peeing outside the litter box again. So it looks like I'm stuck with clay litter. I would rather use that than clean cat pee out of the carpet :shifty

Iarwain
07-14-2008, 02:52 PM
There is one called Feline Pine that is made of pressed pine pellets. It helps keep the odor down too! However it is not really any different than the pine pellets they sell for horse bedding and a whole lot more expensive. I buy a HUGE bag of pine pellets at TSC for $7 and it lasts a long, long time in the cat box.

They take the switch easiest if you do it gradually. Put 1 inch of the new litter in the bottom of the litter box and cover it with the old kind. Increase your proportions each time you change the box over 3 wks or so and they'll usually adapt better.