PDA

View Full Version : I'm pretty discouraged about my garden this year....

WI Mama05
07-09-2008, 10:11 AM
I feel pretty defeated this year. Things aren't going as well ad last year. :no2

1) My peas have been obliterated by 2/3s thanks to some bunnies and the, oh, *maybe* 6 vines that are left are *just* flowering now.

2) NONE of my tomato plants have any tomatoes on them. There have been flowers, but they just die off. :sigh

3) NONE of the peppers even HAVE flowers. And they are tiny. Very tiny.

4) My watermelon is one sprout. Out of the two mounds, there is one sprout. Its tiny too.

5) I just came home after 5 days away and apparently my broccoli had a growth spurt. They flowered :sigh. No eating it now, just get to view the pretty yellow flowers.

6) The flower seeds I planted are just green sprouts right now - no actual flowers.

On the bright side, my carrots seem to be flourishing and I may have zucchini sometime this fall. The green beans are starting to show fruit, but that's about it.

Last year my garden was just SO HUGE AND LUSH at this point in the year. I had already harvested zucchini and peas!!! I remember having my whole family up around the middle of July and giving them zucchini abundantly and showing them my beautiful flowers!!!

What is going on this year?!? I even planted earlier this year!! I am watering and even fed the garden! Guess I'm not putting in enough TLC. :shrug

:sigh Just had to vent the frustration over my apparent brown thumb.

Macky
07-09-2008, 11:03 AM
Sometimes I think it's just the year, really. :hug2 Last year was our rotten garden year. It sooo sucked and it was embarrassing to boot.

I remember in past years that my garden (usually planted around June 1) would catch up to gardens planted much earlier (early to mid-May). By mid-July, you couldn't tell the difference in the fall crops and the summer crops weren't that far behind. Planting early sometimes gives you a leg up... and sometimes it makes plants stall. Ime, anyway.

My pepper plants are especially small this year, too. What's up with that?

tempus vernum
07-09-2008, 11:20 AM
:hugheart I felt that way about a week or two ago and then weekend things started going nuts :shrug

That said, I have had TERRIBLE years and can't figure out why still :O

:hugheart Hope things turn around for you :hugheart

Hermana Linda
07-09-2008, 01:39 PM
My pepper plants are small too. :hug2 The tomatos won't set fruit if it is too hot. The broccoli will always bolt and set flower when it is hot, no matter what you do. My beans have given me two (2) beans so far. :shrug