PDA

View Full Version : Help me not be scared to can with a hot water bath

jrsmama
07-08-2008, 12:12 PM
I have always made freezer jam, salsa, etc when I can. I'm terrified of making everyone sick. But I would really like to do just the regular hot water bath canning methods for the veggies i'm growing this year since freezer space is limited and I really love the look of homecanned food on a shelf :heart

What's the basic method YOU like to use that you feel comfortable won't give your 7 yo ds botulism :O

rstump
07-08-2008, 12:15 PM
I feel comfortable as long as I follow the Ball Canning Blue Book recommendations. I have never had a problem. I think they really have a good set of instructions and people have been following them for years.

diamondintherough
07-08-2008, 12:21 PM
All of your jams and acidic-based products can be hot-water bath processed with no problems at all. Green beans and other non-acidic veggies should only be processed with a pressure-cooker. These are the veggies that people have problems with botulism/spoilage and should never be done in the hot water bath. As PP mentioned, get yourself a copy of the Ball Blue Book and you'll be on your way to beautiful, nutritious canned foods on your shelves.

:rockon

CelticJourney
07-15-2008, 04:38 PM
Can you make pickles without a pressure cooker?

Iarwain
07-15-2008, 05:06 PM
Yes, you can easily can pickles with a hot water bath. Pickles aren't usually pressure canned.