PDA

View Full Version : OMgoodness my garden is growing!

TrinMama
07-08-2008, 05:06 AM
Um, someone should have warned me that tomatoes are beasts. :haha My three plants are totally taking over the garden box. But, the peppers and carrots which are being shaded from the crazy tomatoes are still growing, so that's good. The beans and peas and sunflowers are taking off, too. It's awesome. I'll try to get some pics today.

Question, tho, what do I do about the BUGS? Ick. They're living in my lettuce and making it nasty. :sick I saw a beetle on my sunflowers yesterday. Not sure what kind it is. And how do I know when carrots are ready to be harvested?

Hermana Linda
07-08-2008, 07:20 PM
Some bugs are good, some are bad. The bad bugs are the bane of every gardener's existance. You have to decide if you want to go organic or not.

Carrots should feel plump when you poke the ground where they should be.

Macky
07-09-2008, 09:30 AM
Carrots can be harvested whenever they look like you'd want to eat 'em. :) Congrats on the plants doing so well! Don't worry about bugs unless you see damage starting or you know for sure it's a bad bug. Some are just visiting and won't do any harm.

TrinMama
07-09-2008, 01:14 PM
I have japanese beetles!! :no2 And some sort of other bug that looks like what I call a pincher bug...it has pinchers on it's back end and it's pretty flat. :shrug It was eating my lettuce and either pooping all over it or laying eggs.

Thinking about getting some preying mantis eggs...thoughts?

Hermana Linda
07-09-2008, 01:41 PM
Preying mantis sounds like a good idea. :yes