PDA

View Full Version : Butterfly garden

This Busy Mom
07-06-2008, 10:19 PM
I'm a bit butterfly obessed lately. I turned around and channeled that into getting some milkweed plants and digging up a bed 3" wide and nearly as long as the garage (there's a fence that got in the way). I'd been meaning to go collect the seeds of some local milkweed, but never found the time to research when to look or to even go look for it period, so we bought the plants.

My dd found and identified some anise swallowtail caterpillars on my fennel. There were four of them and they were really nifty looking (complete with orange faux horns that pop out only when you mess with them). I was going to take some pics of them, but they disappeared. Apparently they didn't go too far because we did find one chrysalis in the doorway of the garage (it's an awesome bright green with a splash of yellow). I can't wait for the butterfly to emerge.

So, I am going to step back tomorrow and let the girls plant the milkweed and fennel. I will not be a perfectionist, I will not nitpick them... (I'm going to have to repeat that all day). Whatever happens back there will be for my girls and their caterpillars. I told dd she can research what different caterpillars eat and we could add more plants to it.

:D

AlishaRose
07-07-2008, 11:06 AM
lovely, butterflies are so beautiful. It would be great if you manage to get some pics of them.

Hermana Linda
07-07-2008, 11:02 PM
:tu

canadiyank
07-07-2008, 11:37 PM
Cool! I have a butterfly garden. :) It hasn't seemed to attract that many butterflies, though. Lots of bees and other good things, though.

This Busy Mom
07-08-2008, 06:33 AM
I found 4 anise swallowtail caterpillars on my fennel this month. Most of my plants are herbs and they attract a lot of bugs when they are blooming. The garden I put in I'm hoping isn't too shaded for the milkweed and the fennel I put in it. It's shaded until about noon and then it's full sun the rest of the day.

tempus vernum
07-11-2008, 07:10 AM
Dh planted a butterfly garden :) complete with big stone to heat it up and attract them and he is planning on making a house. It's starting to bloom (mostly wildflowers) and it's SO pretty :) I hope to get pictures if the butterflies come. DH told me that butterflies tend to come in waves (all at once for a few days, then none, all at once, then none, etc) :)

Aisling
07-11-2008, 07:13 AM
How cool! :cool :rockon :heart

Joyce
08-22-2008, 12:37 PM
I have been wanting to attract butterflies recently. I have zinnia planted asnd that gets me one butterfly here and there, but I really want more! I made some "butterfly food" today, it has to ferment 1 week, then we'll see how that attracts them. Milkweed and fennel...hmmm...I'll have to look into that, too.

Hermana Linda
08-22-2008, 02:41 PM
I hope it works. :heart