PDA

View Full Version : people knowledgable about horses

babysoft_2004
07-04-2008, 12:26 PM
My family and I may be moving in about a year or so and we are looking to get a house with acreage. my dream has always been to have a horse or two. I dont really know that much about them. What books/websites/etc would help me learn more about what it entails to have a horse? I really want to make sure I am prepared for this before we jump into it even though it will likely be two or more years before we even think about geting one. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. TIA!

Macky
07-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh gosh, that's a HUGE question!

I've worked with horses since I was 13. I have Level IV with the Canadian Equestrian Federation (next level was Coach I). I've got a 14-year-old Quarter Horse who I arranged to buy before he was born because I LOVED his mama, but the owner wouldn't sell her. I've instructed at camps for kids 7 to 17 and did a few years stint on the local show circuit with a drill team. I was into reining for many years, though I never showed. Since then I've had more interest in dressage, though my horse isn't suited for it, so that will have to wait. I haven't ridden for ages (work, hubby, kiddo... they all take time). I really miss it. :yes

Anyway, you need to tell us a little more before we can really give you any tips.

1. Do you already have an acreage in mind? Does it already have fencing and shelters? They cost a lot more to build than you think. Fences for Pasture & Garden by Gail Damerow helped us immensely when we were building our fences. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

2. What type of climate will you be living in? Will the horse(s) be pastured 24/7/365 or will you need something more? How much hay and bedding will you need for the year and where will you store it? My horse, our miniature donkey and the border horse all live outside year-round in central Saskatchewan where our winter temps can go below -40C. They thrive with timothy hay and a large three-sided shelter. If your winters go below freezing, your water troughs will need access to electricity so you can plug in a water heater; sunken ones are better than floating ones.

3. Horses need regular vaccinations and dewormings. Ask your vet about what would be appropriate for your local area. All horses have some level of wormload in their systems no matter how well they're taken care of. I deworm 5 times a year, rotating between two or three different drug families to avoid developing resistance. Again, ask your vet for the best deworming program for your area. Calculate these costs in.

4. What do you want to DO with your horse(s)? This is the all-important question. Firstly, never buy into the notion of getting a young horse for a newbie in the misled opinion that you can grow together. Look for calm, steady horses that might be on the older side. These are the experienced horses that will actually teach you a thing or two. These are the gems of the horse world, the animals who are sensible and wise and most importantly, patient. If you want to ride the back forty (called "trail riding" in Western terms or "hacking" in English lingo) on the weekends, you'll need an entirely different horse than if you want to do dressage, jumping, reining, calf roping, team penning, gymkhana (barrel racing, pole bending, etc.), driving, or what have you. We can't even embark on the topic of breeds until you know what you want to DO.

5. Horses are social creatures. If you can, get two. If you can only afford one, consider boarding it somewhere where he can get socialization instead of at home (as hard as that would be). My horse was very lonely the first year we lived on our acreage. We couldn't afford another horse, though, and couldn't find a border at the time, so we compromised by getting the miniature donkey for companionship (he cost only $300 and ate half as much hay :)).

6. Establish an emergency fund or equivalent. When your horse is injured, it ain't gonna be cheap. You don't want to be caught in a situation where you have to choose between money and the life of your beloved friend. Ideally, imo, you'd want at least $1,000 handy if not more (cash, available credit, or some form of savings you can quickly liquidate). Decide now what you're willing to invest. It's too hard to think about money in a crisis.

7. Buy a trailer. If you can't afford one (like us), make friends with someone who has one you can use in an emergency. Get the same light and brake setup installed on your truck or arrange to borrow the truck that usually hauls that trailer. All trailers are different, unfortunately, and you don't want to be pulled over by the cops for no lights. Even if you don't plan on travelling anywhere, you need to be prepared in case of injury, natural disaster (fire, flood) or even a trip to the farrier's.

8. Speaking of which, add farrier costs to your tally. A horse's hoves need to be trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the horse. If he's primarly ridden on soft ground, he can be barefoot, but if he's ridden on hard terrain or has foot issues that require them, you'll need to shell out for shoes as well. Pay extra for a GOOD farrier. Ask around to find the best. Remember: No foot, no horse.

Hmmm... there's loads of other stuff, but I'll leave it there for now. :)

Afa, books...

I've really enjoyed Centered Riding by Sally Swift. Cross-Train Your Horse by Jane Savoie is superb, though it might be beyond beginner for now (stash that title for later, though). John Lyons was THE horse guru in the 90s when I was riding. He's a Christian, too. Lyons on Horses is a classic read as is Round Pen Reasoning. You can look up all these books on Amazon. I'm sure there's a whole host of new experts in vogue now. :) Imo, steer clear of any books that claim to teach you everything you want to know about horses or horse care, etc. If you want to get one, make sure it's written for where you live. I was given or bought umpteen books as a kid that were written in the UK for their climates and traditions, which don't have much to do with what we do with them here in Canada, lol.

HTH I'll check back if you want to yak more. :)

saturnfire16
07-04-2008, 05:48 PM
The pp about covered it! But I would also recommend reading Monty Roberts. Make sure you have plenty of time and attention to devote. If you can't afford a second horse, goats make great companions, too. I second the advice to buy an older horse- not ancient- but seasoned enough to be patient with your mistakes. You really do need to know what you want to do with the horse, before you decide on breed and all, but quarter horses are pretty good all around horses and generally have great temperments.

babysoft_2004
07-04-2008, 09:57 PM
Oh gosh, that's a HUGE question!

I've worked with horses since I was 13. I have Level IV with the Canadian Equestrian Federation (next level was Coach I). I've got a 14-year-old Quarter Horse who I arranged to buy before he was born because I LOVED his mama, but the owner wouldn't sell her. I've instructed at camps for kids 7 to 17 and did a few years stint on the local show circuit with a drill team. I was into reining for many years, though I never showed. Since then I've had more interest in dressage, though my horse isn't suited for it, so that will have to wait. I haven't ridden for ages (work, hubby, kiddo... they all take time). I really miss it. :yes

Anyway, you need to tell us a little more before we can really give you any tips.

1. Do you already have an acreage in mind? Does it already have fencing and shelters? They cost a lot more to build than you think. Fences for Pasture & Garden by Gail Damerow helped us immensely when we were building our fences. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

The acreage depends on how much horses need to be comfy and happy. Lots of houses here have houses that already have barns with several stalls and tack rooms etc on the property. it will be northern florida so there is a concern for severe storms.

2. What type of climate will you be living in? Will the horse(s) be pastured 24/7/365 or will you need something more? How much hay and bedding will you need for the year and where will you store it? My horse, our miniature donkey and the border horse all live outside year-round in central Saskatchewan where our winter temps can go below -40C. They thrive with timothy hay and a large three-sided shelter. If your winters go below freezing, your water troughs will need access to electricity so you can plug in a water heater; sunken ones are better than floating ones.
i mentioned it above but the properties some of them come with barns etc already. I am not even thinking this far ahead though. I truly need to do lots of research since i have never been around horses before (well horses that are my responsability)

3. Horses need regular vaccinations and dewormings. Ask your vet about what would be appropriate for your local area. All horses have some level of wormload in their systems no matter how well they're taken care of. I deworm 5 times a year, rotating between two or three different drug families to avoid developing resistance. Again, ask your vet for the best deworming program for your area. Calculate these costs in.
If we move here I will definitely contact a vet so the costs will go into our budget.

4. What do you want to DO with your horse(s)? This is the all-important question. Firstly, never buy into the notion of getting a young horse for a newbie in the misled opinion that you can grow together. Look for calm, steady horses that might be on the older side. These are the experienced horses that will actually teach you a thing or two. These are the gems of the horse world, the animals who are sensible and wise and most importantly, patient. If you want to ride the back forty (called "trail riding" in Western terms or "hacking" in English lingo) on the weekends, you'll need an entirely different horse than if you want to do dressage, jumping, reining, calf roping, team penning, gymkhana (barrel racing, pole bending, etc.), driving, or what have you. We can't even embark on the topic of breeds until you know what you want to DO.
All I want from a horse is to be able to go on trail rides and have companionship. I know that i dont know enought to get a young horse so an older horse that is bomb-proof is what i would be looking for. ideally two horses that could keep each other company since they are herd animals. My dd will be around 6 when we move so i that is a consideration as well. i am thinking about starting her in riding lessons so once she gets started if she likes it and wants to do something more specific than just pleasure riding than we will reconsider it.

5. Horses are social creatures. If you can, get two. If you can only afford one, consider boarding it somewhere where he can get socialization instead of at home (as hard as that would be). My horse was very lonely the first year we lived on our acreage. We couldn't afford another horse, though, and couldn't find a border at the time, so we compromised by getting the miniature donkey for companionship (he cost only $300 and ate half as much hay :)).

6. Establish an emergency fund or equivalent. When your horse is injured, it ain't gonna be cheap. You don't want to be caught in a situation where you have to choose between money and the life of your beloved friend. Ideally, imo, you'd want at least $1,000 handy if not more (cash, available credit, or some form of savings you can quickly liquidate). Decide now what you're willing to invest. It's too hard to think about money in a crisis.

7. Buy a trailer. If you can't afford one (like us), make friends with someone who has one you can use in an emergency. Get the same light and brake setup installed on your truck or arrange to borrow the truck that usually hauls that trailer. All trailers are different, unfortunately, and you don't want to be pulled over by the cops for no lights. Even if you don't plan on travelling anywhere, you need to be prepared in case of injury, natural disaster (fire, flood) or even a trip to the farrier's.

8. Speaking of which, add farrier costs to your tally. A horse's hoves need to be trimmed every 6 to 8 weeks, depending on the horse. If he's primarly ridden on soft ground, he can be barefoot, but if he's ridden on hard terrain or has foot issues that require them, you'll need to shell out for shoes as well. Pay extra for a GOOD farrier. Ask around to find the best. Remember: No foot, no horse.

Hmmm... there's loads of other stuff, but I'll leave it there for now. :)

Afa, books...

I've really enjoyed Centered Riding by Sally Swift. Cross-Train Your Horse by Jane Savoie is superb, though it might be beyond beginner for now (stash that title for later, though). John Lyons was THE horse guru in the 90s when I was riding. He's a Christian, too. Lyons on Horses is a classic read as is Round Pen Reasoning. You can look up all these books on Amazon. I'm sure there's a whole host of new experts in vogue now. :) Imo, steer clear of any books that claim to teach you everything you want to know about horses or horse care, etc. If you want to get one, make sure it's written for where you live. I was given or bought umpteen books as a kid that were written in the UK for their climates and traditions, which don't have much to do with what we do with them here in Canada, lol.

HTH I'll check back if you want to yak more. :)

thank you so much for your long and thoughtful response. you gave me lots to get started with so i think i will print this post out if you dont mind and use it to start all my research. i have dreamed of having a horse forever so hopefully with lots of research and proper planning and God's blessing we can hopefully do this right.

waterbaby
07-15-2008, 08:01 AM
As far as acreage goes...the general rule of thumb is at least an acre per horse. I'm personally against horses being stalled, so a run-in shelter is ideal (or at least a very wooded area for shade and cover for rain).

I definitely recommend lessons...even for both of you! You would both benefit so much and it's so much fun. Just find a good, experienced and knowledgeable instructor.
If you have Pony Club (www.ponyclub.org) in your area, I recommend that for your daughter. I was in Pony Club for years and years and learned almost everything I know from them. Plus, it was so much fun being around other kids my age who loved horses. (You can even get started in PC without a horse...they usually have a bomb-proofed horse for beginners to learn on.)

Another great company animal for horses is a mini horse. You can find them for really cheap (I just got an old mini for $250 and he is the best thing!! My 3 year old can groom, bathe, ride and lead him around with no worries.)

Best of luck!!! Horses are amazing creatures!!