PDA

View Full Version : We're getting 6 ducklings!!

erh384
07-02-2008, 04:26 PM
Our two ducks were attacked/killed by a fisher cat last week... fortunately dd didn't see them and we were going out of town so it gave her a few days to "forget" about them. Well, SIL called today and offered to bring 6 ducklings with her this friday!!!!!!!!!!! I am sooooo excited!!! DD is going to LOVE this!

Amber
07-02-2008, 10:01 PM
:rockon

Danette
07-03-2008, 06:23 AM
Awww... my mom had ducks a couple years back and the kids loved them... they are actually a lot of fun... who knew. :lol

You are going to have to post a pic when you get them. :yes

Yuliana
07-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Aww I want to see a pic.

Abibigail
07-03-2008, 07:44 AM
**speaking in ignorance**

What can you do with a duck? What would make them fun? I'm just curious. ;) I've never known anyone who's had them, but there are geese at my aprtment complex, and I'm not a fan.

Danette
07-03-2008, 12:27 PM
:laughtears

I'm not a big fan of geese either... they bite. :lol

Ducks are just cute... they follow you around, play in the pool and I swear my mother's ducks talked to you. Very social. And we were hoping they would lay us some duck eggs but we moved them off to a neighbors farm with a pond so the coons wouldn't get them. I guess you can't do much with them.. but they are good company. :lol

JessicaTX
07-03-2008, 01:57 PM
so how will you keep the new batch safe?

erh384
07-03-2008, 04:41 PM
there are geese at my aprtment complex, and I'm not a fan.

I completely understand. A lot of people in this area have a similar lack-of-fondness for those horrid canadian geese (myself included).

Ducks are just cute... they follow you around, play in the pool... Very social. And we were hoping they would lay us some duck eggs ... I guess you can't do much with them.. but they are good company. :lol

:yes More or less. Our last ducks were good egg layers & they were really affectionate. They would let us hold them and loved to share food with dd.

so how will you keep the new batch safe?

Well, we're actually only going to have 4 and SIL is going to keep them for a week or so until we can totally cage in their duck pen (we only had a chickenwire fence across the front). We haven't had predator issues during the day, so we let them out in the morning then they waddle down to the pond & hang around the yard until dusk when we lure them in with some feed.