PDA

View Full Version : Fruit bushes

AlishaRose
07-01-2008, 11:38 AM
I have some questions regarding fruit bushes, particularly gooseberries and blueberries.

The gooseberries this year didn't do anything, no fruit, not even a single flower, but last year we had a most abundant crop :shrug Any ideas what has gone wrong?

Also, we planted a blueberry bush a couple of years ago and this year is the first year it has flowered :woohoo There are tiny green buds now that the flowers have gone. Will these become my blueberries, they look a strange shape, I don't know if they needed pollinating or not, but insects were free to roam in the fruit cage.

Any one else grow either of these fruit bushes? I would welcome any info, thanks :heart

Hermana Linda
07-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I have not. I hope someone else has. :heart

Teacher Mom
07-02-2008, 04:41 AM
Sounds like blueberries to me!!

Thanks for reminding me. I need to get outside and cover the blueberry bushes before the birds start eating them!!!! Mine are near time for harvest!

AlishaRose
07-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Oooh I am glad that sounds like blueberries, I will keep my eye on them now, see when they turn blue, is that when they are ready for picking?

Still sad about my gooseberries though :yes2

Teacher Mom
07-06-2008, 05:17 PM
yep :) and you need to cover them before the birds find them, cause once they find them, they will be gone, gone, gone

I couldn't find my netting and all the stores around me are already sold out :yes2 So tomorrow I will go to the dollar store and see if I can find some sheer curtains to put over them. It will still give the bushes sunlight, but the birds will not be able to get at them. errrr