PDA

View Full Version : what do you do w/ pesto?

Myrtle
06-26-2008, 09:13 AM
I've enjoyed dishes out and about with pesto for years, but I've never actually had it in my house until last night. I have a lovely jar of pesto and would like some ideas of how to use it. Thanks!

Marielle
06-26-2008, 09:17 AM
Mmmmm love it so much I bought a bunch of basil at the farmer's market and made some heavy on the garlic but with sunflower seeds instead of pine nuts (didn't want to risk a reaction).

I've tossed it with pasta, kicked up marinara sauce with it or just smeared it on a baguette and toasted it. One of my favorite sandwiches is made on ciabatta with roasted veggies (eggplant, onion & peppers) along with fresh mozzarrella and the bread is slathered in pesto. Pasta salad is good with pesto and I just saw Ellie Krieger the other day make a red skinned potato salad with red & yellow peppers that was tossed in pesto too.

Iarwain
06-26-2008, 09:45 AM
I love it on pasta, but Saturday I tried some parsley pesto on white beans and it was delish! I'm totally going to try making it! The friend that made it said it was an Emeril recipe.

Myrtle
06-27-2008, 01:04 PM
that sandwich sounds delicious! Dh found a chicken dish we're planning to have for dinner, but I'm definately going to keep these other ideas handy! Thanks!

Saphirah
06-27-2008, 01:56 PM
I like to mix mine with cream cheese and put in on a bagel. And for dinner I use in pasta with parm cheese and chopped cooked chicken in it.

ElectricEarth
06-27-2008, 02:33 PM
It's very, very yummy on a burger!

StumblinMama
06-27-2008, 03:26 PM
:yes All of the above, LOL :)

I LOVE pesto! When I lived in Nicaragua, it was used as a condiment for steak. Yummy!

mamaKristin
06-27-2008, 03:30 PM
Use it for pizza sauce! yum.

Also, shred up some mozza cheese, throw in a bit of mayo and a can of tuna with the pesto, and make quesadillas.

ShangriLewis
07-08-2008, 12:34 PM
Mix it with mayo and use as a dip for Grilled Cheese (meat, veggie whatever), veggies, and chips/crisps.

Pat or roll out a batch of bread like you are going to make cinnamon rolls. Spread on Pesto instead (you can add meats or cheese, too) then roll up. You can just cook it whole like that. Or you can wrap it around to make a circle. Or you can cut it like cinnamon rolls. Serve some red sauce for dipping on the side.

ArmsOfLove
07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
what DON'T you do with pesto? :yum

JessicaTX
07-08-2008, 04:40 PM
Coating chicken in it and baking was a particularly bad idea. I love pesto, i love chicken..together...i don't love. Tasted like dog food.
I love it on noodles, as pizza sauce, with garlic bread...o my favorite is to spread french bread iwth pesto and cover with mozzarella and bake that. Deee-vine!

CakeLady
07-08-2008, 04:45 PM
My friend mixed some with mayo for a pesto mayo spread for our sandwiches...it was super yummy!

ShangriLewis
07-08-2008, 07:00 PM
what DON'T you do with pesto? :yum

Crystal this is not the appropriate forum :roll