PDA

View Full Version : Naturally sweet teas -- Is there such a thing?

Piper2
06-24-2008, 02:19 PM
DH wants to start drinking hot tea, and Kevin has always liked it, but I never have. However, I've started cutting back on my coffee consumption and would like to try tea again...herbal if possible. The thing is, I'm used to having sweetener in my coffee and iced tea, but I'd LOVE to be able to not put anything in hot tea...only every kind I've tried tastes bitter, no matter how much sugar or sweetener I put in it.

I'm finding that I can get used to the taste of things if I have to (stopped using milk in anything and am fine with powdered lactose-free creamer and actually like vanilla soy or almond milk in cereal), but I'd like to make things as easy as possible. Can anyone recommend an herbal (or flavored) tea that's naturally sweet without sugar?

Thanks!

Lantern Light Mama
06-24-2008, 02:22 PM
Most of them that I have tried have also been bitter. Chamomile is really the only type I can drink plain.

Lady TS
06-24-2008, 02:25 PM
My Republic of Tea tea(now that's redundant :giggle) has a bit of stevia in it. I think Vanilla Hope Rooibos.

LadybugSam
06-24-2008, 02:32 PM
I've just started doing this :tu I think I've picked up on a few things that could be helpful

1, if its bitter, you may be brewing it too long. Also i prefer to boil water in a pan and then pour it into a cup, and actually brew the tea in the cup. If you chose to do the entire pan of tea, bring the water to a boil and then take it off the burner and then put in your tea. brew for just a few minutes.

I REALLY like the Bigelow (found in most grocery stores) Vanilla almond tea, as well as the vanilla caramel. I can drink the vanilla almond plain, but with the vanilla caramel, i like to add in rice milk, it makes it really creamy. :yum

Green tea is inherently less bitter. I like the jasmine green tea, but its VERY flowery, takes a while to get used to :)

Earl Grey is good without sugar too :)

HTH

naturallia
06-24-2008, 03:11 PM
Stash herbal teas are amazing! I also like Revolution teas.

Do you want specific flavors that I've tried that I didn't need to add sugar to?

Piper2
06-24-2008, 03:43 PM
Stash herbal teas are amazing! I also like Revolution teas.

Do you want specific flavors that I've tried that I didn't need to add sugar to?

Yes, please. I haven't heard of those brands...we're going to check out Wild Oats (Whole Foods) this weekend, too.

Rabbit
06-24-2008, 03:50 PM
Most teas need between 1 and 5 minutes to brew. By 5 minutes, many of them will be bitter.

Iarwain
06-24-2008, 06:25 PM
I find that fruity teas rarely need sweetening, especially peach. I use peach tea with plain black or green tea to make iced tea that doesn't need sweetening.

naturallia
06-24-2008, 07:14 PM
right now, I love wild blackcurrant, almond cream, wintermint, and sweet silver jasmine all by stash

I like ceylon, lavendar earl grey, and mango citrus by revolution teas

4MKfam
06-24-2008, 08:26 PM
Stash tea --licorice spice flavor is dh and my absolute FAVE around here. Kinda tough to find sometimes, but it's very sweet, even without the sugar. The thought of adding sugar to it kinda makes me :crazy2 . If you don't care for the anise/black licorice flavor, though, it might not do :/.

cobluegirl
06-24-2008, 08:28 PM
We like the Good Earth tea....it makes a great sweet ice tea too.

naturallia
06-24-2008, 10:31 PM
Oh yes, licorice spice tea is sooooo sweet!!!!!! YUM! Don't even think about adding sugar or it'll be overly sweet. The sweetness comes from the licorice, the parsley, and uhh... another spice.

jenny_islander
06-25-2008, 12:13 AM
I like herbal teas made with hibiscus blossom or orange peel when I want something sweet. (Hibiscus blossom tea, BTW, tastes like a less sweet version of red Kool-Aid if you drink it iced.) I've been drinking chamomile and peppermint teas recently as well and neither one seems to need sugar IMO.

musicmama
06-25-2008, 03:05 AM
see, I find green teas to be overly bitter because there's such a fine line in the "not brewed long enough" and the "TOO MUCH! TOO MUCH!" :haha

I love love love Tazo's wild sweet orange tea! Celestial Seasonings has a orange spice that's fantastic, too.

We're unsweet tea drinkers all the time though, so my taste buds might be a little more forgiving :)