PDA

View Full Version : Any Good Kid Friendly Chicken Curry Recipes?

RealLifeMama
06-22-2008, 07:45 PM
I have some coconut milk in the pantry, and chicken breasts were on sale this week, so I thought I'd make some chicken curry for dinner tomorrow.
My children do not like anything spicy, so I want it to just be flavorful but not hot, and use powder instead of paste. Do you have a good recipe that you can share?

Serafine
06-22-2008, 07:50 PM
http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=155416.msg1567908;topicseen#msg156 7908

Post #7

THese do not call for coconut milk, but you can easily substitute coconut milk for the cream and/or yogurt (if you sub. it for the yogurt, it definitely won't be as thick, but still yummy).

Macky
06-23-2008, 09:31 PM
I'm guessing this is too late, but here you go anyway. :) This is my favourite curry! I make it with boneless, skinless chicken breasts and add cooked cauliflower near the end. Mmmmm! The only hot spice here is the cayenne, so adjust it to taste or eliminate it altogether for the kids - it's still good (Erin has liked this since she was one).

Indian Curry Chicken

1 1/2 - 2 pounds chicken parts
2 1/2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
oil (up to 5 tablespoons depending on your taste)

BASE
pinch of cumin seeds
1 bay leaf
3 cloves garlic, finely minced
1 1/2 teaspoons freshly grated ginger
1 large onion, very finely chopped

SEASONING PASTE
2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 1/2 tablespoons sour cream
2 large tomatoes, peeled and very finely chopped

SPICE MIX
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 1/2 teaspoons ground coriander
1 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/2 teaspoon garam masala
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom

1/2 cup plain yogurt, heavy cream, or coconut milk

Sprinkle chicken with the lemon juice, salt, and turmeric. Set aside. In heavy saucepan heat a bit of oil, brown the chicken pieces and remove; set aside. In same saucepan, heat up a bit of oil, when hot, add BASE ingredients. Saute over medium heat until the onion is very tender, about 3-5 minutes (do not let it burn). Add SEASONING PASTE ingredients and cook 3-4 minutes. Add the SPICE MIX and stir well to incorporate into the mixture. Add chicken pieces, stir well so that all pieces are covered with sauce. Bring to a boil, cover, reduce heat and simmer about 40 minutes. When chicken is done, add the 1/2 cup of yogurt, and warm through a few minutes. Serve with basmati rice (this makes the dish).