PDA

View Full Version : Rice for beginners

Linnis
06-12-2008, 06:41 PM
I'm trying to buy less processed foods and get back to basics so instead of minute rice I bought regular rice and I have no idea how to cook it. :shifty

Any simple, soy free ways to cook rice? My Dad says it takes as long to boil as potatoes.

illinoismommy
06-12-2008, 06:44 PM
This is the only way I know how... I use bag rice too....

Its twice as much water as rice.

You will need a pot that has a lid that fits.

1 cup rice
2 cups water -- and a splash more makes it better.... because if its a splash too little you end up with crunchy rice :shifty

Bring to a boil and then turn way way way down. You want it to barely boil for 20+ minutes. Then let it sit for another 5 minutes.

Marielle
06-12-2008, 06:50 PM
I always use extra long grain and here's how we cook it in DR.

1 cup rice
1 1/3 c water
1 scant tsp salt
1 tblsp olive oil

Mix rice with salt and oil. Add water. Bring to a boil, then put on a lid and turn to low heat (about 2-3 on my stove knob). Cook covered for about 30 min. or until all the water has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork.

MamaJayne
06-12-2008, 07:06 PM
The easiest way that I know of is to treat the rice like you would pasta. Bring water to a boil (a large potful, giving the rice plenty of water), add salt, add some rice, return to boil, and start tasting at 10 - 12 minutes.

Rea T
06-12-2008, 07:18 PM
Buy a rice steamer?

OK, seriously, this is what I've started doing on days when I feel like it and it does really make a nice rice. (From an article in a magazine...)

Measure your rice into a pot, run water into the pot and then rinse the rice by massaging it with your fingers. Drain water. Repeat 5 more times if you are traditional Chinese. If you are another nationality who doesn't really care if the number 7 is special, just do it as many times as you feel like. I usually rinse and drain about 3 times. Fill the pot with enough water to cover the rice to the depth of the the middle of the first knuckle on your finger. (This is usually going to be twice as much water as rice, just like everyone has said so you can skip this if like me you can't figure out exactly what the precise location of the middle of the first knuckle is.) Bring to a boil, stir, cover and turn heat to low. Cook for 20 minutes without lifting the lid. Done. Fluff with fork.

LvnLtl1s
06-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Read carefully because I am about to reveal my top secret, super easy way to cook rice so that it turns out perfectly every time: :shifty Bake it in the oven. Seriously. :yes Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Put 2 cups brown rice in a casserole dish. Boil 4 cups of water in a pot on the stove and then pour it over the rice and stir. Cover the dish and CAREFULLY put it in the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and you're done. SO EASY. We basically only eat brown rice in our house, but I'm sure you could do this with a white rice as well just adjust the cooking time.

Firebird Rising
06-12-2008, 10:25 PM
Read carefully because I am about to reveal my top secret, super easy way to cook rice so that it turns out perfectly every time: :shifty Bake it in the oven. Seriously. :yes Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Put 2 cups brown rice in a casserole dish. Boil 4 cups of water in a pot on the stove and then pour it over the rice and stir. Cover the dish and CAREFULLY put it in the oven. Bake for 50-60 minutes or until all the water is absorbed. Fluff with a fork and you're done. SO EASY. We basically only eat brown rice in our house, but I'm sure you could do this with a white rice as well just adjust the cooking time.

I'm glad you posted this so I don't have to. This is the way I make it to. It's SUPER yummy.

Jen D.

LvnLtl1s
06-13-2008, 08:56 PM

I'm glad you posted this so I don't have to. This is the way I make it to. It's SUPER yummy.

Jen D.

For me it's the only way to go. Every time I make brown rice on the stove it turns out gummy even if I don't stir it at all. Plus, this way I can put it in the oven and forget about it until the timer goes off. :rockon

naturallia
06-13-2008, 09:31 PM
the oven method or the rice cooker method are my faves.

jenny_islander
06-14-2008, 10:19 AM
There should be instructions for plain boiled rice on the package. My number 1 tip: DON'T LIFT THE LID BEFORE THE END OF THE COOKING TIME, EVEN ONCE! Number 2: If your family thinks rice is boring, put a tablespoon of olive oil per cup of raw rice into the pot before you cover it. You'll get raves. Number 3: Put some soapy water into your cooking pot as soon as it's empty because even perfectly cooked rice tends to leave a reside that has to be scrubbed off.

diamondintherough
06-14-2008, 10:33 AM
I usually do the 2 cups water to 1 cup rice thing, but if you want a change and less sticky rice you can do this:

Take a 2qt saucepan and add 1T olive oil. Fry 1 cup rice in the oil for about 3-5 mins till light golden brown, then add 2 cups water (hot is preferred). Be careful when adding the water because you might get a steam burn if you do it too slowly. After adding water, stir once then cover and simmer on low heat for 20 mins. This turns out more like Uncle Bens and not sticky.

Another thing you can do to add flavor for any of the methods mentioned is use broth instead of water. Sometimes I will just mix some veggie broth powder in with the water.

Let us know how it comes out! Rice is cheap and easy and good for you.

jrsmama
06-16-2008, 10:58 PM
Here's how my FIL taught me how to make rice (he's Mexican):
-put 2-3 TBS oil in the pan to warm
-add 2 C rice into the pan and stir it until it's toasty brown. Add minced onion and garlic while it's browning (but don't let them burn)
-turn down the burner or remove pan from burner and add 4 C water into the pan
-add a couple of spoons (or cubes) of chicken bouillion
-cover and let cook for about 20 min

Optional:
you can add tomato sauce as part of your water
you can add chicken (or veggie) broth as part or all of your water
you can add canned or frozen corn, peas, carrots or whatever on top of the whole concoction right after you add the water