PDA

View Full Version : HELP! How do I prepare a roast for my crockpot the evening BEFORE?

Calliope
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
I have my crockpot. I have all the ingredients cut up. I want to do a slow cook, so I need 10-12 hours and will have to plug the thing in at about 6AM tomorrow. Since I will be bleary-eyed at that point still, I want to do a little prep then as possible. Can a stuff the whole crock, put it in my fridge and then just plop it in the cooker tomorrow? Or will it be too cold? I can't leave the whole thing out can I? Should I just put all the veggies in the then the roast in the morning??

HELP!

schmamy
06-10-2008, 05:02 PM
Stuff the whole thing, stick in in the fridge, then plop the crock in the heating part and turn it on in the morning. I've done that many, many times and it works out just fine!

MamaJayne
06-10-2008, 05:51 PM
My crockpot came with the warning that the stoneware crock can possibly crack and break if you put it cold from the fridge and then start heating it up right away. I might just chop my veggies, season the roast, put them in a ziplock bag, and then in the morning, toss it in with some broth.

schmamy
06-10-2008, 05:54 PM
My crockpot came with the warning that the stoneware crock can possibly crack and break if you put it cold from the fridge and then start heating it up right away. I might just chop my veggies, season the roast, put them in a ziplock bag, and then in the morning, toss it in with some broth.

I think all crockpots *technically* have that warning...but I would think the real danger would be putting the cold crock into the warming unit if the unit is already hot. I'd think if you put the cold crock in and then turn it on low, it would warm up gradually...wouldn't it?

Maybe I'm doing a bad thing, but I've done it a million times and never had a problem. :O

Calliope
06-10-2008, 06:22 PM
Well, it's in the fridge now. :shifty Maybe if I wake up in the middle of the night, I'll take it out and let it warm up a bit.

Marielle
06-10-2008, 06:29 PM
it won't harm it. I do it all the time with my crockpot too.

Although if you do have a moment tomorrow before turning on the pot, take the roast alone out and sear it on all sides in some hot oil before returning to the pot. It will make a world of difference in the end product.