PDA

View Full Version : Things to make with red and green peppers

illinoismommy
06-10-2008, 12:55 PM
Strange question I know, anyone have recipes?? :lol

schmamy
06-10-2008, 01:00 PM
I use bell peppers in everything! We really love them--especially red/orange/yellow. Green aren't my favorite (and they aren't as healthy).

One of the meals we like best is rotini, chicken, bell peppers and broccoli in a creamy red sauce (spaghetti sauce and cream cheese). :yum I"ve also done the same thing, minus the broccoli and the cream cheese, plus some shredded mozzarella.

We also use bell peppers in stirfry...and on shish kebabs... :think if I think of anything else I'll add it.

Mama Calidad
06-10-2008, 01:25 PM
Stuffed bell peppers:
http://almostturkish.blogspot.com/2007/07/vegetarian-stuffed-peppers-zeytinyal.html

KLin
06-10-2008, 01:30 PM
Put them in stir frys with rice, In pasta sauce, In fajita mix with black beans and tortillas, stuff them, grill them with other vegies as a side, use them with hummus dip, roast them for sandwiches, add them to pizza topping, put in green and pasta salad, dice with corn and make confetti veggies, puree them and add them to sauces to add nutrients. I think that is a good start.

jenny_islander
06-14-2008, 10:08 AM
I have a recipe under "A Carnivore Prepares for Lent" in the Vegetarian/Vegan forum that calls for a lot of sweet peppers cooked with black-eyed peas and rice. Very very tasty!

I also like them sliced thin and stir-fried with chicken or pork. Sweet and sour sauce optional.

Blueberrybabies
06-14-2008, 10:10 AM
fajitas--cook them up with some onions and protein of your choice, serve in tortillas with salsa and yogurt.

joystrength
06-14-2008, 10:11 AM
I LOVVVE raw red peppers. (May not be so good if you have a nursling, though). YUMMY!!!

Marielle
06-14-2008, 10:16 AM
I love to throw roasted peppers of any color chopped into pasta salad that I dress with red wine vinegar, olive oil and garlic. (just chuck them under a broiler in a sheet pan and then cover them with plastic wrap to cool, finally peel). I'll also throw in drained chickpeas and black olives into that pasta salad.

Another favorite around here is sausage and pepper sandwiches. Not the kind in a tomato sauce but the sauteed kind like you would find in a fair stand. I'll poach the sausages, then brown them and slice them up. Saute about 3 sliced peppers, 1 onion and a clove or two of garlic with salt. Let soften then add a splash or two of red wine vinegar. Add the sausages and pile it on hoagie rolls.

Ina Garten makes a delicious roasted veggie orzo salad. She cuts and dresses with olive oil/salt eggplant, bell peppers, red onion and garlic then roasts it for 45 min. in a hot oven. She chops up fresh basil, green onions and chunks up feta cheese. Then she makes a lemon vinaigrette and boils a box of orzo. She tosses the hot pasta with the hot veggies and the dressing. Then she adds the fresh chopped stuff and feta. It's heavenly and one of my favorites.

Another great thing is cream of roasted red pepper soup. If you'd like it I can look up the recipe as I have it on the old laptop. It's sweet, silky and still savory. I like it better than cream of tomato for dunking grilled cheese.

blessedwithboys
06-14-2008, 10:45 AM
jambalaya, pasta salad, pizza topping, fresh veggie salad topping....yum! They're pretty expensive around here right now, so enjoy! :cool

klpmommy
06-14-2008, 02:30 PM
I don't like the greens, but I put the red in scrambled eggs, slice them for wraps ( either veggie or w/ lunchmeat).

RiverRock
06-14-2008, 02:53 PM
I use a big piece of aluminum foil and place a salmon or trout filet (preferably with skin) on the bottom. Then I slice a pepper and onion and place that on the fish. Seal the foil pack and bake or bbq for an easy delicious main course.

Macky
06-23-2008, 09:53 PM
This was off an old Catelli pasta box and it's a favourite around here!

Vermicelli with Chicken in Peanut Sauce

1 cup chicken broth, slightly warmed
2 tablespoons liquid honey
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 tablespoons corn starch
1/4 cup peanut butter

Mix the sauce and set aside. Stir occasionally while you're preparing the rest of the recipe. (Warming the broth helps dissolve the peanut butter.)

olive oil
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, sliced
1 red pepper, cut into strips
2-3 green onions, chopped
Fresh parsley to garnish (chopped)

Heat a bit of olive oil in a skillet and brown the chicken. Remove and set aside. Add red pepper to the pan and cook until just tender crisp. Add chicken back to the pan along with the green onion. Pour sauce overtop and cook until thickened and chicken is done. If you need to add a little broth or water to thin the sauce, that's fine. Serve over vermicelli or spaghettini.

*** I also did a variation that I think I like even better. Substitute beef for the chicken and beef broth for the chicken broth, green pepper for the red pepper, half a medium yellow onion for the green onion and crunchy peanut butter for the smooth peanut butter. Yum!

Red peppers also go in stirfrys around here. Green peppers in beef bulgogi, chili, sweet and sour meatballs.

Oh, and this is a good casserole to use up red peppers. I use half the tuna and twice the artichoke hearts (ie. I half the recipe to make only one pan, use one can of tuna, but the whole can of artichoke hearts).

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/mediterranean-tuna-noodle-casserole