View Full Version : Meals with beans and rice

illinoismommy
06-10-2008, 12:38 PM
Any recommendations? :)

Mama Calidad
06-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Red beans & rice
http://www.gumbopages.com/food/red-beans.html

We to tostados with refried beans and rice frequently.

HummusDip
06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
plain? :shifty That's my favorite way! Maybe a few warm flour tortillas too. :yum

Firebird Rising
06-10-2008, 12:47 PM
bbl, I'm currently eating both as I type... LOL

Jen D.

illinoismommy
06-10-2008, 12:48 PM

what is a tostado :O

Beauty4Ashes
06-10-2008, 12:59 PM
It's a tortilla toasted in the shape of a bowl stuffed with vegetables, beans, meat, etc.

I make a dish with cracked wheat, onion, and lentils if you're interested...

Mama Calidad
06-10-2008, 01:03 PM

A toasted corn tortilla. You can buy them ready to go or make your own really easy. Just put a layer of corn tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for...a bit. Just until they get toasty and a bit golden. (The smell of popcorn is a sign they've been toasting a bit too long. :giggle )

The Tickle Momster
06-10-2008, 01:11 PM
:popcorn

illinoismommy
06-10-2008, 01:11 PM

A toasted corn tortilla. You can buy them ready to go or make your own really easy. Just put a layer of corn tortillas on a baking sheet and bake for...a bit. Just until they get toasty and a bit golden. (The smell of popcorn is a sign they've been toasting a bit too long. :giggle )

Oh that explains it, we don't prefer corn tortillas... we always do flour tortillas.

plain?
I need serving suggestions, you know, like put cheese and a certain kind of bean on a tortilla and bake for a certain number of minutes.... stuff like that....

We do have some recipes, but I want inspiration :)

Forgiven
06-10-2008, 01:36 PM
My favorite rice:
Basmati Rice Recipe

1 Tablespoon butter
2 teaspoons fresh cilantro
2/3 Cup basmati rice
1 Cup water
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 lime (our lime juice and use the equivalent of 1 lime)
Heat butter over low heat, stirring occasionally until melted. Add rice and lime juice, stir for 1 minute. Add water, salt, and cilantro, bring to a full rolling boil. At boiling, cover, turn down to simmer over low heat until rice is tender and the water is absorbed, about 25 minutes. Fluff rice with a fork.

I make up a big batch of this rice to use over the week, sometimes I cook black beans, pinto beans, marinated chicken, or marinated steak. We eat it on tortillas with cheese or we eat the rice as a side, or we eat it with corn chips. My husband will just sit and eat the rice---he also really loves the fact that he is the one who found the recipe.

abbiroads
06-10-2008, 01:44 PM
we like black beans seasoned like taco meat served with rice on tortillias.

Firebird Rising
06-10-2008, 04:59 PM
We eat haystacks a lot with those things. Haystacks are layered on a plate for each person as follows:

First put tortilla chips (corn chips) on the plate/bowl
Spoonful of rice
Spoonful of beans
Handful of cheese
Handful of letttuce
Handful of tomatoes
a bit of ketchup or salsa
a bit of sour cream (optional)
Some olives to top it off.

Sometimes, we also just eat a bowl of half rice half beans topped with some ketchup. I LOVE that meal, it's so simple.

Jen D.

Singingmom
06-10-2008, 05:14 PM
I mix beans, rice, and salsa and serve the mixture with corn chips for dipping (my kids don't really like tortillas or tacos). Sometimes I'll pile the beans/rice/salsa on lettuce and tomato with chips on the side and make a dressing out of sour cream (or light mayo or both) mixed with salsa. Everyone likes that.

Yuliana
06-10-2008, 05:36 PM
I am cuban so we eat beans a lot. We have black beans and white rice (cooked together or separate). Red beans and white rice cooked together.
Give me a day or two to translate the recipe :shifty

Marielle
06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
hey just posted one tonight. Like yasmel I'm from an area where we make beans often, with or on top of rice, in stews and casseroles, etc. Tonight I put together something I'd been craving and it came out just like I wanted it on the first try. Here's the thread:

http://www.gentlechristianmothers.com/mb/index.php?topic=177428.new#new

ncsweetpea
06-10-2008, 05:54 PM
:beandip :beandip We are going to try a new recipe this week. Chickpeas and rice. Here's the link http://www.recipezaar.com/195593
A friend shared it with me...it sounds pretty good! I also love black beans with yellow saffron rice with a little diced sweet onion on top. Very good!

I also like to cook extra rice and have it for breakfast the next day...reheated with a little milk, butter, vanilla and golden raisins...so comforting and yummy!

mellymommy
06-10-2008, 05:59 PM
Here's how I cook Cuban black beans and rice:

Soak a pound of black beans over night, pick through to find any yucky beans
Use a TON of olive oil, like a cup and sautee (with that much oil it is more like boiling) as much garlic as you like (I usually use 8 or 9 or 10 cloves) along with 1 whole green pepper and some white onion (1/4 to 1/2 of an onion). Add the beans and then as much chicken stock as needed to cover the top of the beans and cook for an hour or so on low. Right before you serve it, add salt and pepper according to taste. Cook rice according to package directions. Place rice in a bowl, beans on top and serve with garlic toast/tortilla/or plantains.

I have some more recipes but I'll have to come back because Bear needs some milkies!

LadybugSam
06-10-2008, 06:08 PM
Cook about a package of blackbeans. Add an onion and a couple stalks of celery and about 3 Tbsp cilantro (or 2-3 cubes cilantro bullion). Right before you serve, take about 1/2 the beans from the pot and blend them in the blender. Put them back into the pot and add the juice from 2 lemons right before your serve. Add salt and pepper to taste. Tastes delicious with corn tortillas.

Thats what we're having for diner tonight :)

Yuliana
06-10-2008, 06:26 PM
I do it / a pressure cooker, if you don't have one then you have to soak overnight.

Wash a lb. of beans and cover them w/ water in the pressure cooker, as much water as you can fit in there. When the pressure cooker starts to make the noise :shifty count 15 mins. and then turn it off. Once you are able to open it the you can add the ingredients.

1/2 an onion cut in little pieces
4 garlic cloves (sp?) peeled and crushed
1 tbsp. of sugar
1 tbsp. of salt
1 baby leaf
a little bit of cumin
a little bit of oregano
a little bit of olive oil
1 piece of red pepper (I always buy red pepper, wash it, cut it into slices and freeze them inside a ziploc bag)

Let it cook in Medium High until you desire. I like my beans kind of thick, not too watery, so I let them cook until they have that consistency.

Cook the white rice and serve. We usually have some type of meat or chicken to eat w/ it and of course fried plantains :giggle

Oh and I almost forgot, if you want to cook them together, which we call Congri or Moros y Cristianos then what you do, once the beans are soft w/ all the ingredients, wash the rice and add. Let it cook until the rice is mixed w/ the beans and it is dry.

illinoismommy
06-12-2008, 06:48 PM
sometimes I cook black beans, pinto beans, marinated chicken, or marinated steak.

How do you cook these? Do you use canned beans? :think Just heat them up or what....

illinoismommy
06-12-2008, 06:49 PM

do you buy one of those taco seasoning packets or do it yourself? If you use a packet, how many beans = 1 pound hamburger?

illinoismommy
06-12-2008, 06:51 PM
We eat haystacks a lot with those things. Haystacks are layered on a plate for each person as follows:

Spoonful of rice
Spoonful of beans
Handful of cheese
Handful of letttuce
Handful of tomatoes

ooh its like a taco on a plate, but with beans instead of meat ....

Eek okay there's a lot of ideas here. I will have to just start trying some... :heart

gentlemommy
06-12-2008, 07:10 PM
:popcorn

Forgiven
06-12-2008, 08:20 PM
sometimes I cook black beans, pinto beans, marinated chicken, or marinated steak.

How do you cook these? Do you use canned beans? :think Just heat them up or what....

I cook the beans in a crock pot. I normally just add pepper and salt. I bake the marinated chicken or steak in the oven or cook it on the grill in the summer.

abbiroads
06-12-2008, 09:15 PM

do you buy one of those taco seasoning packets or do it yourself? If you use a packet, how many beans = 1 pound hamburger?
I just do it myself; chili powder, lots of cumin, some onion powder and garlic powder, oh and salt.

CakeLady
06-12-2008, 09:30 PM
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but one of our family favs is just beans and rice. I usually make my version of refried beans and Mexican rice...serve with tortillas, cheese, sour cream, what ever. YUMMY, cheap, and easy.

illinoismommy
06-13-2008, 08:43 PM

I cook the beans in a crock pot. I normally just add pepper and salt. I bake the marinated chicken or steak in the oven or cook it on the grill in the summer.

So do you mean dried beans in the crock pot? :scratch

Forgiven
06-14-2008, 07:50 AM

So do you mean dried beans in the crock pot? :scratch

Yes, I cook dried beans in the crock pot. If I want them for dinner then I start them in the morning. I put sorted, rinsed beans in the crockpot with water covering them a few inches; add the salt and pepper. I check the water level and stir them off and on during the day when I think about it.

joystrength
06-14-2008, 08:06 AM
crockpot beans freeze well, too! (don't freeze the crockpot, though :giggle :giggle :giggle)

StumblinMama
06-16-2008, 02:37 PM
We like to serve baked potatoes with beans, salsa (homeade if possible) and homemade guacamole on top. Yum!

jujubnme
06-16-2008, 04:58 PM
My guys don't like beans that much so I haven't made this is a long while, but I used to make barbecued black beans and serve it over rice. I'm trying to remember the recipe (I gave away the book it was in)... I think I'd just sautee onions and a little garlic, add a (14-oz.) can of diced tomatoes (with Italian seasonings if I had it), a can (14-oz.) of black beans (rinsed and drained), add barbecue sauce, oregano and cumin to taste. If you want to spice it up, you can add Tabasco sauce or chipotles... You can really play around with the flavors however you like. I also liked to garnish it with a bit of sour cream and cheese on top.

illinoismommy
10-28-2008, 03:24 PM

I am going to try this.... what temperature would you recommend for baking corn tortillas? I might like them better baked. Also can you double stack them (on top of each other) to bake? Thanks.

illinoismommy
10-28-2008, 03:30 PM

do you put this in the crock pot or do it on the stove or in a pan?do you add water to cook it with the seasonings? :)

ShangriLewis
10-28-2008, 03:54 PM
I fry my corn toritillas in oil and then put them on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. If you catch them when they are just a bit soft you can bend them into taco shells. My SIL always makes her tacos this way and they are delicious...albeit naughty. Those big bags of corn tortillas are pretty cheap, too.

celestial princess
10-28-2008, 03:56 PM
:beandip2 using this a particularly appropriate sub smilie! ;)

illinoismommy
10-29-2008, 05:01 PM
I fry my corn toritillas in oil and then put them on a paper towel and sprinkle with salt. If you catch them when they are just a bit soft you can bend them into taco shells. My SIL always makes her tacos this way and they are delicious...albeit naughty. Those big bags of corn tortillas are pretty cheap, too.

That's what I've done in the past and I don't love the texture, which is why I was asking about baking. I might have to send a PM I think :giggle

HummusDip
10-29-2008, 10:26 PM
best thread ever!!! :haha

Mama Calidad
10-30-2008, 08:07 AM

I am going to try this.... what temperature would you recommend for baking corn tortillas? I might like them better baked. Also can you double stack them (on top of each other) to bake? Thanks.

I don't think the settings on our oven are accurate. We usually bake them on 4, but I have no idea how warm it actually is. :O On the stacking, though - No. :no It needs to be a single layer at a time.

Mama Calidad
10-30-2008, 08:07 AM

I don't think the settings on our oven are accurate. We usually bake them on 4, but I have no idea how warm it actually is. :O On the stacking, though - No. :no It needs to be a single layer at a time.

jenny_islander
11-03-2008, 01:44 AM
Red beans and rice made without a ham hock; stir in 2-3 ounces smoked salmon at the end and sprinkle lightly with cheese, then serve in wheat tortillas.

Black-eyed peas soaked and cooked in the slow cooker. Drain and stir in olive oil and cider vinegar--lots of each; pretend you are dressing a big salad--plus chopped yellow onions and sweet peppers and some black pepper and salt. Cook about 1/2 hour more, until veggies are tender. Serve over rice. If you want to gild the lily, make the rice with some olive oil in the pot as well. This was the first vegetarian meal I ever served to my carnivorous husband that made it into rotation!

illinoismommy
01-18-2009, 06:09 PM

Spoonful of rice
Spoonful of beans
Handful of cheese
Handful of letttuce
Handful of tomatoes
a bit of sour cream (optional)
Some olives to top it off.

Sometimes, we also just eat a bowl of half rice half beans topped with some ketchup. I LOVE that meal, it's so simple.

Jen D.

So how do you make the beans for this recipe?

(I'm back to this thread again looking to cut grocery bill lol)

MidnightCafe
01-18-2009, 06:29 PM
We eat lots of refried rice & beans.

Typically we pile up beans, rice, lettuce, tomato, cheese, salsa, avocado, cream on a plate & eat with tortillas (rather than utensils ;) ) . We also make tostadas. Same ingredients with the crunchy corn tostadas instead of soft tortillas.

To make beans: Put 2 cups of beans in a crockpot. Fill with water. Cook on high for 3 hours.

Once the beans are soft you can "re-fry" them. We burn an onion in some oil in the bottom of a pan. Take out the burned onion & let the oil cool. Put the beans in the oil & mash with the heat on low. Add water if the beans are too dry. Add salt to taste. (2 teaspoons maybe?) You can correct too much salt with lime juice. Some of the best beans we've made have had lots of lime juice & salt from trying to balance the two back & forth. :yes Beans are SO GOOD this way that I could eat them for breakfast, lunch & dinner. Vespera taught me the trick about burning the onion & it gives the beans a fantastic flavor.

To make rice: Put 2 cups rice, 8 cups liquid (we use a combination of chicken broth & water OR tomato soup & water OR tomato sauce & water), 1 heaping teaspoon of cumin, and a small sauted onion in a pot to boil. Turn it down to simmering once it's boiling. Stir frequently to prevent the rice from burning on the bottom.

puah
01-18-2009, 06:31 PM
when i'm cutting groc bills, i substitute beans (i soak overnight, then cook all day in a crock pot) for meat in almost any recipe i think we'd like. i find that pinto and black beans work well in mexican recipes, lentils and chick peas work well in Italian recipes. i also love to make a bean soup by soaking various beans overnight, then all day in teh crock pot with whatever veggies need to be eaten, seasonings, sometimes V8 juice or chicken broth, lots of frozen spinach. i eat that many days for lunch/snack or drain it in a colander and puree for bean dip or strain and leave chunky for filling for burritos or enchiladas or on corn chips with melted cheese. i fill my crock pot and eat off it and freeze it so i just cook once for many meals, and serve it in various forms for my dh who isn't as much of a pure bean lover as I am :giggle

ArmsOfLove
01-18-2009, 06:40 PM
I'm loving the idea of barbque beans :think

Quiteria
01-18-2009, 08:42 PM
Hummus dip is made from garbanzo beans. I bought the lemon juice and tahini paste and have tons of garlic around...it sounds like an easy recipe...just crockpot the beans or buy canned, and throw it all in the blender. Note to self from my first attempt...put the liquid down on the blender blades so that the beans don't clog them up before the liquid trickles down.

I made pintos for refried beans in the crockpot the other week, and used some of the leftover liquid and beans to make soup. I threw in barley and carrots and turned it back on. Could have used some seasoning of some sort, but I feel like I got multiple meals out of one effort if that makes sense.

Some tips I've heard...if you add the salt after cooking, the beans are more tender. And if you rinse very well, discard the soaking water and rinse some more, etc., you reduce the gas-causing compounds. ;) Come to think of it...the soup I made was a little more of an offender in that respect than the drained pintos for refried. :think

ncsweetpea
01-18-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm loving the idea of barbque beans :think

Is this a method or a recipe? Do tell...sounds intriguing!

jenny_islander
01-18-2009, 10:49 PM
Two more:

Bag of "Santa Fe Style" or other veggie blend that includes legumes. (Santa Fe Style is black beans, red bell pepper, sweet corn, broccoli, and onion. Then there's one with broad beans, kidney beans, and chickpeas. Check your supermarket freezer section; I pay $2.11 per pound for these blends on sale.) Cook according to recipe on back; most amount to a stir fry with Western seasonings. Meanwhile, make a pot of rice. If any is left over the next day, pick out the beans (cook's treat!) and make veggie fried rice with the rest.

Technically beans and rice: Vegan miso soup made with miso, hot water, onion, and a morsel of leftover cooked vegetable or tofu in each bowl; meanwhile, make rice with olive oil in the pot for extra rib-sticking power. For a complete Japanese-style meal, serve with pickles or marinated veggies and some fruit and tea for dessert.