PDA

View Full Version : What can you tell me about basil?

purstrength
06-09-2008, 07:37 PM
So I have basil growing and it seems to be growing well. :yes

What do I do with it now? Any good links to learn how to care for it and keep it growing well? :giggle

Marielle
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
all I know is that you want to pinch off the flowers to keep it growing. And if you whiz it in a blender or food processor with enough good olive oil it will freeze in ice cubes without turning black.

purstrength
06-09-2008, 07:40 PM
all I know is that you want to pinch off the flowers to keep it growing. And if you whiz it in a blender or food processor with enough good olive oil it will freeze in ice cubes without turning black.

Thanks! :heart

canadiyank
06-09-2008, 09:55 PM
I just learned this month in Organic Gardening to *really* pinch it back when flowering, 6 leaf sets down, to make it branch out again instead of setting more flowers. I use it fresh but want to make pesto and stuff, too. Yum.

mamaKristin
06-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I can tell you that I seem to kill it annually. :( I love basil.

Thia
06-10-2008, 06:47 AM
My favorite way to eat it is to slice it up with sliced tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, onion and dress it all with some balsamic vinegar and a splash of olive oil. Of course, since tomatoes are on the "no no" list right now, second place would be cut up into a fresh green salad.
I have never made pesto, but my mom has and it comes out super yum. Slice it fresh into spaghetti sauce. Put a couple of leaves right on any meat you're grilling.
I'm hungry.

purstrength
06-10-2008, 03:36 PM
I'm hungry.

:hug2 :giggle

purstrength
06-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Could you help explain "pinch it back" for me? :O

Hermana Linda
06-10-2008, 05:50 PM
Could you help explain "pinch it back" for me? :O

It's a nice way of saying to rip off the part where the new leaves are growing. It's kind of a pinching motion. It's basically a way of pruning, but using your hands.

purstrength
06-10-2008, 07:46 PM
Thanks, Linda! :heart

I also found a book I have, it had a picture, that helped me picture what's needed too. :rockon

ArmsOfLove
06-10-2008, 09:30 PM
make pesto :yum

purstrength
06-11-2008, 11:20 AM
make pesto :yum

LOL! I plan on it! :yum

righteous mama
06-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Linda, I want you to come over and teach my all your ways. ;)

btw, basil keeps mosquitos away...so even if you just let it grow...

purstrength
06-11-2008, 09:16 PM
btw, basil keeps mosquitos away...so even if you just let it grow...

I didn't know that...I've heard that about lemonbalm, so that's why I'm growing that.

Unfortunately, my cat peed in one of my pepper plants and it is dying. :( I feel bad for the cat too, the balcony was his safe place out of the bathroom, but I can't have him killing all my plants. :no2 :(

Hermana Linda
06-12-2008, 06:40 PM
Linda, I want you to come over and teach my all your ways. ;)

Tell you what. You come here and I'll show you my garden and teach you everything I can think of. :heart

Macky
06-13-2008, 09:23 PM
There isn't enough lemon balm in the world to keep all of our mosquitoes away! :lol

I'm not a great fan of basil (oregano lover here), but I have grown it a few times. I've never had much success growing a bushy plant, even pinching the way you're supposed to, so I tend to grow a few of them and harvest the whole plant at once.

This was my favourite to grow, but I couldn't find appropriate recipes to use it in the kitchen. When you crushed the leaves, though, gosh... what a beautiful scent! http://www.veseys.com/ca/en/store/herbs/basila/siamqueenthai

purstrength
06-14-2008, 08:22 AM
Oh, well someone told me that about mosquitoes. :shrug However, when I researched it online and didn't see it mentioned anywhere, I wondered how true it was. :giggle

Macky
06-20-2008, 09:48 AM
No, you're right... I've read it somewhere, too. It must just be that some mosquitoes are wimpier than others. :lol How's it going with the basil?

purstrength
06-20-2008, 10:02 AM
No, you're right... I've read it somewhere, too. It must just be that some mosquitoes are wimpier than others. :lol How's it going with the basil?

:giggle The basil is doing great! Dh is loving it! He uses it every time he cooks! :yum

We're starting to get some little peppers too!