PDA

View Full Version : Tom Kha Gai - Thai chicken soup

jujubnme
06-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Oh, my goodness, this soup tasted exactly like the soup at our Thai restaurant. So yummy!! :yum I got the recipe in an e-mail from the Splendid Table back in April and I've been itching to make it since then. It requires ingredients you may not keep in your pantry, but I was able to buy them all at the local grocery store. We just used cilantro leaves for garnish. (It is mildly to moderately spicy.)

Thai-style Chicken Soup

Serves 4

1 t. vegetable oil
3 stalks lemongrass, remove tough outer leaves, halve the bottom 5" lengthwise and then slice thin crosswise (this can be omitted if you can't find lemongrass... but don't omit it if you can help it and don't substitute jarred dried lemongrass!)
3 shallots, chopped (about half a cup)
8 sprigs fresh cilantro, chopped
3 T fish sauce
4 c. chicken broth
2 14-oz. cans coconut milk, well shaken/stirred
1 T. sugar
1/2 lb. sliced white mushrooms
3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved lengthwise and sliced on the bias into 1/8"-thick pieces
3 T. lime juice (2-3 limes)
2 t. Thai red curry paste

Garnish:

1/2 c. cilantro leaves
2 seranno chiles, sliced thin
2 scallions sliced thin on the bias
1 lime cut into wedges

Heat oil in a large saucepan. Add lemongrass, shallots, cilantro and 1 T. fish sauce; cook, stirring frequently until just softened (about 2-5 minutes). Stir in the broth and 1 can coconut milk. Bring to a simmer over high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer until the flavors have blended (about 10 minutes). Pour the broth through a fine-mesh strainer and discard the solids. Wipe out saucepan and return broth mixture to pan.

Stir the remaining can of coconut milk and sugar into the broth and bring to a simmer over medium-high heat. Reduce to medium, add mushrooms and cook until tender (2-3 minutes). Add the chicken and cook, while stirring constantly, until the chicken is no longer pink, about 1-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.

Combine lime juice, curry paste and last 2 T. fish sauce in a small bowl; stir into soup. Ladle into bowls and garnish with cilantro, chiles and scallions. Serve with lime wedges.

The Tickle Momster
06-08-2008, 05:06 PM
Sounds yummy! :yum How spicy is it?

jujubnme
06-08-2008, 05:10 PM
It's mildly to moderately spicy. I made my ds a different supper. :)

greendelight
06-08-2008, 06:24 PM
Do you think I could leave out the chicken? Could I substitute green curry paste for red?

jujubnme
06-08-2008, 06:29 PM
I think it would be totally fine without the chicken, but the broth uses chicken broth---don't know if that's a problem for you or not. I don't know how different the green curry paste would taste. I do think it would change the character of the broth, but you could try it. :shrug

greendelight
06-08-2008, 06:36 PM
Chicken broth would be fine.

I just wanted to make this so bad, but we only have green curry paste and no chicken (and I don't want to make a special trip to the store).

PurpleButterfly
06-08-2008, 06:53 PM
We love ours with tofu instead of chicken! :yum I have been looking forever for a truly wonderful Tom Kha recipe (the "gai" is "chicken"), thanks so much, mama! :rockon :kiss3

nurturinglovely
06-08-2008, 07:01 PM
YUM!

my favorite!!! in fact, i am not feeling well and i think i am going to send dh for some!

Also - you can make this vegan easily by subbing more mushrooms or tofu for meat - still yummy, i PROMISE! :yes :lol