PDA

View Full Version : Should I replant my tomatos?

Rea T
06-06-2008, 04:59 PM
I'm not sure if I started sprouting them early enough. I put the sprouts in the garden about 2 weeks ago and they don't appear to be making much progress. They are only about 2 inches tall with about 5 leaves. For an upper midwest garden, is this too little at this point in the season? I'm debating just going to the garden center and getting some bigger plants and replanting at least some of them. I already had to do several last weekend for the ones that didn't make it. The ones from the garden center are SO much bigger that I'm afraid this is the point mine should be at already.

Macky
06-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Depends on the type of tomato. You might get a few cherry or roma toms if your season is long enough down there. Up here (central Saskatchewan, zone 2a) they'd definitely be too far behind and I'd go buy some plants for the garden. Perhaps you could transfer these little guys to some large pots so you can bring them in when frost threatens in the fall but it's still warm during the day. You might be able to get far enough along to at least get green toms that you can ripen indoors (or make green tomato relish, yum).

Rea T
06-08-2008, 04:27 PM
Well, I managed to replant 4 of them with the ONE 4-pack of tomatoes remaining at the garden center. The replants were pretty sorry looking specimens themselves so who knows what I will end up with this year. I'm leaving the seedlings and just seeing what they do so that I know for next year (all but 3 of them are either cherry or the little yellow pear, so maybe they'll do well enough). And I'll still have 8 plants if all my bigger starts that I planted do ok.

Hermana Linda
06-09-2008, 12:09 AM
Sounds good. Keep us posted. :)