PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Meals w/planned Left Overs

AmyDoll
06-02-2008, 05:38 AM
Do you have meals that make 2 dinners?
One of my favorites is to make a meatloaf & then use the left over (usually about 1/2 of the meatloaf in my fam) to make lasagna.
I also bake chicken and make chicken pot pie or chicken divan on night 2

Do you have any recipes for 2 nights of dinners?

naturallia
06-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Oh yes, lots! My fave is a scalloped potato bake type thing and the next day, potato soup. I also enjoy turning leftover meatloaf into tacos. Let's see... oh yes, leftover chicken often becomes pasta salad the next day. Leftover rice (side dish) becomes stir-fried rice the next day (maindish). I could go on and on, shall I?

AmyDoll
06-02-2008, 06:59 AM
:yes I love planned leftovers! I don't like to eat the same *exact* thing 2 nights in a row - but mixing it up feels new and I like that! :)

naturallia
06-02-2008, 07:00 AM
Do you need the recipes or just a list of ideas?

DoulaClara
06-02-2008, 07:11 AM
Every couple of weeks I make a big pot of sauce, and it goes a long way! Yesterday was one of them- we had spaghetti with it. Tonight, I'll add a ladle of the sauce to rice and beans. I'll pull some out for the pizza on Friday, and the rest (about 2 quarts) I will freeze/ use similarly next week.

A whole roasted chicken goes miles around here! The first night, we eat usually a breast and a drumstick or two. Much of the rest of the meat goes into a chicken/veggie/rice casserole, and the bones and meat scraps are turned into chicken stock (either used in soup right away, or frozen).

Meatloaf (venison) is rarely left over, but if it ever is, I make soup with it, chicken stock, spinach, and sometimes white beans and pasta, sometimes just pasta.

Any leftover veggie scraps get worked into the rice and beans I make about once a week.

Can't wait to see more ideas! :popcorn

AmyDoll
06-02-2008, 07:18 AM
Tishia - I def want the potato recipes... Send more ideas!

monkeylicious
06-02-2008, 07:34 AM
if i have left over hamburger/sauce combo i use it with biscuits. i flatten the biscuit (you know - the refrigerated kind :grin ) and then put it in a muffin pan and then put the meat mix on top and bake 'til the biscuits are done. add cheese and put back in long enough to melt. this is a changed up recipe from taste of home (bbq farmhouse biscuits - these are a bbq sauce with meat) i've done it with spaghetti and meat sauce and used mozzeralla and i just did it last night with my taco-tater meat (meat, spaghetti sauce and a pack of taco seasoning - you put over baked potato according to the taco tater recipe and i garnish with cheese, sour cream and sometimes taco sauce)

jenny_islander
06-04-2008, 10:40 PM
I love a good stir-fry with extra rice on day 1, followed by fried rice with egg on day 2.

You can make a humongous taco salad recipe with the ingredients in separate containers. People serve themselves out of the containers to build their own taco salads, then you put them away in the fridge. Serve again the next day.

When I roast a chicken or turkey, I always save the leftover meat for use in casseroles and make broth with the carcass. Somebody else pointed out that the boiled meat left on the bones after the broth is made can be used in dirty rice! So if you buy a turkey on sale for less than a dollar per pound, even though cookbooks specify a pound of roast turkey per serving, by the time you've squeezed every bit of goodness out of it, you may have paid 25 cents per serving.

Ham, ham, ham, ham, hammity ham, wonderful ham. We get a ham about the size of my youngest daughter free from my husband's boss every Christmas. Bake the whole monster, then slice/cube/chunk, measure, package, and freeze. The next day or two, have ham sandwiches for lunch or fried ham slices for breakfast; the day after that, hambone-and-bean soup. Use up the frozen leftover ham within two months for best flavor. My favorite is scalloped potatoes and ham.

RealLifeMama
06-10-2008, 08:35 AM
I am trying to make more planned leftovers, but it is a difficult habit for me.
I don't really like the way that poultry tastes when it is reheated, and I never seem to make enough of other foods so that there is enough left for DH to have lunch the next day and also for dinner.

One thing I can do is when I grill chicken breasts, I grill a couple extra. Then, I can make chicken salad with the extra chicken (like the kind with mayo, etc) or we can eat grilled chicken salads (like with salad greens and chicken strips, etc) That way, I don't have to reheat the chicken.

ShangriLewis
06-10-2008, 08:54 AM
I love Tamale casserole. Unfortunately, I'm the only one. I just take leftover chili and put a recipe (or use a mix) for cornbread on top. Bake according to the cornbread directions.

CakeLady
06-10-2008, 09:12 AM
Do you have meals that make 2 dinners?
One of my favorites is to make a meatloaf & then use the left over (usually about 1/2 of the meatloaf in my fam) to make lasagna.
I also bake chicken and make chicken pot pie or chicken divan on night 2

Do you have any recipes for 2 nights of dinners?

I want to make meatloaf tonight (for the first time). Do you have good recipe to share?