PDA

View Full Version : Organizing or storing school work from the year....

mom2chrisnluke
05-31-2008, 02:14 PM
I am working on cleaning out, organizing and finding some way to store the boys school papers from the year. I don't keep all their work just meaningful art or great school work/test. I also save all the report from the classroom, like progress and any teacher comments. What do you so to store and organize the papers from the year? What do you keep and where do you store it? I just can't bear to through out everything so I need to find a system to keep some! TIA for any help!

tempus vernum
06-02-2008, 05:22 AM
I have a rubbermaid tub for each child. I go through it annually and pare it down. I am considering getting plastic hanging boxes and organizing it that way - giving each year a hanging file :)

I too won't throw everything away. My mom gave me a big of things from my childhood and I enjoy having it :heart

erinee
06-02-2008, 05:28 AM
I have a rubbermaid tub for each child. I go through it annually and pare it down. I am considering getting plastic hanging boxes and organizing it that way - giving each year a hanging file :)

I too won't throw everything away. My mom gave me a big of things from my childhood and I enjoy having it :heart

Same here, except I have a smaller tub for each child each year. I may try to pare some things down and have just one bigger tub for each of them. There are probably things from Zach's K year that I could bear parting with now that I have some emotional distance.

I'm like Jodi -- my mom gave me some old papers, and it was really fun to go through them. I even have some old things from when my grandparents were in school, and they are very special. I'm definitely a sentimental hoarder, and I have to be really careful not to let it get out of control, but I think there is great value in keeping a few select things for posterity.

mom2chrisnluke
06-02-2008, 05:48 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I don't have alot of storage space other than our attic but I worry that would damage the paper, since it get so hot. So I am trying to think of a way to store them easily. One friend suggested a 3 ring binder, but that would take a long time to put together and then what about the art papers that would not fit. I also though of a box with hanging file boxes for each kid and have a file or two for each year and space int he back for larger art work. My mom also kept alot of my work and I love looking at it all! Not sure if that will be the same for boys but my sister and I both enjoy looking at our old papers.

Mama Calidad
06-02-2008, 06:31 AM
I'm getting the kids work from the past year together right now to scan. There are a few pieces that can't be scanned, but everything that can be is going to zip through and head straight to the shredder. As much as I love the kids work, I just don't have room for all the paper. This way, we'll always have it, but the only space it takes up is on my memory card. :tu

Marsha
06-02-2008, 06:47 AM
Oh gosh I throw 90% of it away!! I keep one of those paper folders with what I consider to be "representative" or just extra cute. That's so far anyway, she's only just finished kindy. But her preschool an dSundy school stuff gets recycled generally.

ArmsOfLove
06-03-2008, 05:30 PM
as a homeschooler this could be a HUGE pitfall and we've struggled with how to navigate it.

Artwork: I go through the pile at least once a year (dd keeps it in her room) and she gets to pick 3 (a 4th if she presents an argument for it ;) ) representative of her work pictures that get hole punched and go in a binder

Projects: I take a picture and we save that

Workbooks: Depends--I'm keeping the whole grade ones for the time being but our MUS books come with graduation certificates in the back and we keep those and they get the joy of throwing away the book ;)

I keep samples of things if they aren't done in a bound book