PDA

View Full Version : Where is your wedding dress?

Iansmama
05-31-2008, 07:15 AM
As I have been decluttering my entire house I have been trying to decide what to do with my wedding dress. What have you done with yours? I'm not sure I am in a mindset where my decluttering is ruthless enough yet for me to part with that.

Living My Dream
05-31-2008, 07:17 AM
i wondered this a while back but i cant bear to part with it (but mine was an evening gown not something that takes up lots of room) its in a dress hanging protector bag thing in the wardrobe

Aisling
05-31-2008, 07:21 AM
It's in a dress bag...in my parent's house. :giggle

poleidopy
05-31-2008, 07:23 AM
well, some girl is probably wearing it to prom....or it's in a Goodwill somewhere. Mine was a prom-dress type, not white. ;)

Living My Dream
05-31-2008, 07:25 AM
mine wasnt white either

poleidopy
05-31-2008, 07:27 AM
mine wasnt white either

what color? :) Mine was yellow. I fell in love with how GORGEOUS it was...and only later did I realize yellow is the color I look WORST in! :giggle :doh :rolleyes2

Living My Dream
05-31-2008, 07:28 AM
oh no! mine was a middle ground between purple n pink. ill try find the link to a photo

mama-hobbit
05-31-2008, 07:29 AM
Mine is in a trunk/coffee table in the living room, with the pictures that aren't in frames and all my keepsakes from Russia.

Jeanette598
05-31-2008, 07:29 AM
In my closet ... not even in a decent dress bag. :O I love it, but I haven't looked at it in years.

Lady TS
05-31-2008, 07:31 AM
In the bag and box it came in...under our bed. It's probably the worst place for it...aside from our musty wet basement or out hot humid attic.

trustingGod2
05-31-2008, 07:37 AM
Mine In a plastic tote somewhere in my fil's basement with the rest of our clutter.....

Teribear
05-31-2008, 07:39 AM
In a bag in the closet and this thread reminded me that I need to take it to my mother when I go next because we're getting close to time to take it all apart and make DD's confirmation dress out of it (end of 6th grade so about two years) which is what I have had planned for it since she was about 4.

Psyche
05-31-2008, 07:46 AM
Preserved at my parent's home.

Blue-EyedLady
05-31-2008, 07:54 AM
I actually have 2 wedding dresses! I was previously married, and I chose to wear my mom's old gown that my grandmother made for her. We altered it to fit me. Even though the marriage didn't last, I just can't bear to get rid of the dress for sentimental reasons. Ironic, eh? It's in a box on the shelf in my closet.

My wedding dress from my current (and final, Lord willing!) marriage is hanging in a dress bag in DH's closet, right next to his tux from the wedding, and all my old prom/bridesmaid dresses that I can't bear to get rid of. It's the traditional, huge, puffy, white kind, takes up a ton of space, and I'm keeping it forever. I absolutely love that dress. I will sacrifice aquiring other items in order to have room for that dress - that's how much I love it!

RooMama
05-31-2008, 07:56 AM
Mine is in a box in a closet.

Iansmama
05-31-2008, 08:13 AM
So for everyone who is keeping theirs...what are your plans for it? Hope a daughter wears it? Wear it again for something like a renewal? Just keep it boxed up? Hang in up in a memory box on the wall?

Teri, that is an interesting thought. :think

I am really feeling like if I want to keep it, I need to have a plan for it. What good will it do me to keep it in a box, never to see the light of day again? What would I expect my children to do with it someday if they had to go through my things?

BeckaBlue
05-31-2008, 08:16 AM
in my head waiting for the time it can be made :lol

monkeylicious
05-31-2008, 08:30 AM

oh good i'm not the only one!

RiverRock
05-31-2008, 09:46 AM
Mine is in the storage box from the dry cleaner in the back of our storage closet. I'm not sure I expect either of my daughter's to wear it (I would :heart if they did, but it will be their choice). I dream of having it on display or wearing it to my 50th wedding anniversary (it can be let out if it doesn't fit ;)) or at least on display in a mannequin. I'm not too attached to it, though. I have a friend who is a missionary in Brazil who collected wedding gowns from about 20 women from one of their supporting churches and then held a large shared wedding for unmarried/common-law couples in their church who wanted to get married. I would consider donating my dress to such a cause! :tu

AdrienneQW
05-31-2008, 10:22 AM
Mine is in pieces. :giggle Part of it became my DD's baptism gown; the other part is sitting in my fabric stash waiting to be used as raw material for the kids' confirmation outfits.

RubySlippers
05-31-2008, 10:23 AM
Mine sat in a closet for over 10 years. I then realized three things:

I was so slim when I was a bride that it might be totally unrealistic to think my daughters would fit into the dress when they got older. Besides, who would want that kind of pressure on their children? not me!
My ribs and bust expanded with my first pregnancy, so years postpartum there was no way I could ever fit back into the dress.
Even if my children could fit into the dress when they got older, the dress would be woefully out of style. It was not a classic cut.

So, my dh and I found a charity that sells wedding gowns and dresses and donated it.

cheri
05-31-2008, 10:29 AM
Mine is stuffed in one of those plastic underbed storage boxes and is in our basement. I didn't even have it cleaned after the wedding, so I'm sure the dirt on the train is ground in permanently.

my dd plays with my veil with her dress up clothes :giggle

joystrength
05-31-2008, 10:30 AM
in a preserved state (a la dry cleaners box) unde our bed ... my mom made it, it's a keeper!
:shifty :nak2

WanderingJuniper
05-31-2008, 10:32 AM
In a storage bag at my grandma's. I'll never get rid of it. My mom made it and we sort of designed it together. It means a great deal to me. :heart

Elora
05-31-2008, 10:36 AM
it's in my closet. not in a bag or anything. never had it cleaned. i was going to toss it but then my littlest sister asked me not to...said she may want it someday

if not, now that I've read this

Mine is in pieces. :giggle Part of it became my DD's baptism gown; the other part is sitting in my fabric stash waiting to be used as raw material for the kids' confirmation outfits.

I may keep it and do something similar some day. I really love that idea.

Rabbit
05-31-2008, 10:39 AM
My first one is in a landfill. My second was an evening dress I've worn a couple of times since, so it's hanging in the closet.

Mother of Sons
05-31-2008, 11:05 AM
Mine is in the closet. One day I want to fit in it again and take some decent pictures. Although I'm starting to just look old so I doubt I'd really do it.

I take it out every year and take a picture of in it.

DoulaClara
05-31-2008, 11:11 AM
I take it out every year and take a picture of in it.

Now that is a really cute idea! Mine's hanging in plastic in the closet. I'm not sure what to do with it. Every time I think of something, DH has a panic attack and it goes back into the closet!

Calliope
05-31-2008, 12:03 PM
Laundered, folded in a sheet and tucked in a giant Stearlite container on my closet shelf. I had thought of using to trim a baby bassinet, but I hadn't the heart to cut it. Fashions come around again. Maybe my granddaughter will want to wear it. :shrug

cybelle1980
05-31-2008, 12:13 PM
I donated mine to Brides Against Breast Cancer: http://bridesagainstbreastcancer.org/.

(But not until after my divorce. Before that, it was preserved in one of those boxes at my MIL's house. If I'd had to deal with that huge box in my own place, I would have donated it much sooner. :shifty)

mom2threegirls
05-31-2008, 01:48 PM
Mine's preserved in a box on the top shelf of my closet. With three girls I figure one of them may want to get married in it :shrug. We'd really like to get our vows renewed at some point (maybe 20th anniversary?) and I may wear it then :shrug. It's a pretty classic style and I really love the dress so I definitely won't be getting rid of it ;). It's funny- most things I don't have a hard time getting rid of (DH and the girls get nervous when they see me walking around the house with a garbage bag :giggle) but the wedding dress is staying!

Myrtle
05-31-2008, 02:05 PM
Kenya, Africa.

We have friends who are missionaries there, and they do mass weddings, and a lot of the women wear old prom dresses from the US. They said they'd like to have some wedding dresses, though, and they'll be used over and over during their wedding ceremonies. I'd originally thought it'd be nice if my dd wore it, but I don't think we're going to be the same size. She's a totally different build than me. I have to admit, though, that I secretly sometimes still hope she ends up wearing it when she gets married over there after she meets a nice Christian man during the time dh and I are over there serving as missionaries. We don't have any plans to go there, and haven't been called yet, but I keep thinking maybe someday. ;)

zak
05-31-2008, 02:26 PM
In my closet in a garmet bag.

April G
05-31-2008, 02:32 PM
From my first wedding I had it wrapped in tissue paper in a box in my cedar trunk in my bedroom. I took it out to see if I could salvage any of the raw silk, but it had some mold stains on it... So I chucked it.

I'm getting married in a week, and because it's my second wedding and it's semi-casual, I had a skirt and top made, and the skirt i will definitely wear again... The top, probably not, mostly just cause I don't like it... :/ I'll probably donate the top to a thrift store, and keep wearing the skirt... :yes

RosalieMarie
05-31-2008, 02:46 PM
Mine is preserved in a box in my closet. It's up on a shelf where I can see it. It looks so pretty!

klpmommy
06-01-2008, 03:29 PM
Mine is in a box sealed by the dry cleaner after my wedding. It was my mom's wedding dress- I wore it b/c it was free, not b/c I liked it. :shifty :blush Then my mom was so happy about that so she paid to get it preserved. My great grandmother had paid to preserve it the first time after my mom was married. I never thought about something being made from it, that is a neat idea. :think It is all lace (which is so not me) so I don't know what could be made from it. I honestly don't care if my kids or future dil's want to wear it. :shrug Right now it is the least of my worries when it comes to decluttering.

joyful mama
06-01-2008, 03:31 PM
preserved in a box in the top of my closet. I wasn't crazy about it, long story. but the day was great, and it was pretty... if my girls want it :shrug if not, I've seen some gorgeous pillows made with them... I'd love that :heart

klpmommy
06-01-2008, 03:33 PM
pillows made from it, that is a neat idea. I wonder if it would work to be made into a ring bearer's pillow and flower girl basket if none of my kids want the dress. :think Although we have a few years to make that decision I would think. Although P&E are already planning to be married to each other. :lol

Eowyn
06-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Mine's in a garment bag in my parents' dry basement. I love my dress, and I hope I have a daughter someday, if not, it will be offered to DILs.

hbmamma
06-01-2008, 04:25 PM
professionally preserved in my MIL cedar closet :shifty
I love my dress :heart If my girls don't want it, I may save it for grand-daughters or make it into something heirloom...

Atarah
06-02-2008, 01:45 AM
Hanging on the door inside the coat closet. My mom made the dress and the garment bag. I wear it each year for Yom Kippur, provided I'm not breastfeeding at the time. :) It was about two sizes too large for the wedding, so I can wear it even if I weigh a good 30 pound more than I did when we got married. ;) :rolleyes (the bodice fabric was almost not-alterable, and my mom didn't live in the same city as I at the time, so not enough fittings/proper measurents. )

Marrae
06-02-2008, 04:07 AM
Yes, that! :lol My dd tried it on when she was 14 and couldn't get the zip past her waist but the bust was far too big. :hunh

BriansLovie
06-06-2008, 11:48 AM
At my parents house in another state :shifty

racheepoo
06-06-2008, 12:41 PM
In my outside storage closet. It's professionally sealed. I don't have a dd so the only chance it will ever see the light of day is if I get remarried...and it will have to be completely redone first! :giggle

KatieMae
06-06-2008, 01:05 PM
Well my dress was gorgeous & very very expensive so it's been professionally preserved & currently resides in the guest room closet. I hope one of our daughter(s) or DIL's will wear it someday. If not, the silk would make beautiful baptism gowns for grandbabies :yes Although I'd love to have a fancy 25th or 30th anniversary party & wear it then. I'm the same size now that I was then (a 14) so even if I was "matronly" by that time, it would probably still fit alright.

Sign Of The Fish Burger
06-06-2008, 01:10 PM
I had mine professionally boxed and preserved. My mother is convinced that my daughter will someday want to wear it- I was like... ughhh I didn't want to wear your hideous 70's getup with puffy sleeves and a hat :lol She isn't gonna want to wear mine. Or with my luck I'll just have all boys.

Anyway I wanted to sell it (why not?) but mom was against the idea so she paid for it to be preserved and boxed and it's stored at her house.

CindiAnne
06-08-2008, 08:29 PM
Mine is also preserved in a box that lives in one of our spare rooms... I hope that either my DD will want to wear it, or I'll use it for a baptism gown for grandchildren...

ronioli
06-09-2008, 01:35 AM
:scratch I'm not sure where it is. I remember it being in a closet at my mom's house, but they moved a few years ago. Maybe it's in a closet in their new home? I should ask my mom!

I did not have it preserved. I liked my dress, but I was not especially attached to it and it wasn't expensive at all. A $99 special at David's Bridal that I picked out in one afternoon. I'm not sentimental that way and I personally preferred to spend our money on something other than a dress I'd wear once. That's just me though. :smile My dd is really in to weddings right now. Maybe I should ask my mom to send it for dd to play dress-up in. The pillows are also a good idea.

nadezhda
06-09-2008, 08:46 AM
It's in a dress bag...in my parent's house. :giggle

:raise Mine, too! I figure they have more storage than I do... :shrug

cmecu2
06-09-2008, 09:07 AM
In a dress bag hanging in my closet on hubby's side.....he has more room

Maggie
06-09-2008, 09:12 AM
In a sealed box in our spare room.

swimming with sharks
06-09-2008, 06:02 PM
I sold mine...we were about to move overseas and I wanted to use the money to travel. I wish I still had it :doh but really it'd just be clutter....although I LOVE the idea of making a baptism outfit out of it for the kids. :kiss