PDA

View Full Version : rice question and rice pudding recipe request

monkeylicious
05-30-2008, 03:02 PM
is jasmine rice a long or short grain rice? my mom never had anything but minute rice in the cupboard! i bought some for a recipe i had and love it, but know that some recipes call for chort or long grain and i have no idea what it is :shrug

i would love a recipe for rice pudding. one that is also fairly easy (no standing over the stove stirring :shifty )

thanks!

monkeylicious
06-02-2008, 04:14 AM
okay - i see you are all very disciplined and don't eat rich, yummy, oh so bad for you things like rice pudding :shrug ;)

that's okay, i'm off to find paula deen - i know she'll have a nice rich recipe (with some of her favorite ingredients!) or one of her friends over at food network will! :grin

Mama Bird
06-02-2008, 05:02 AM
We eat rice pudding! It's a recipe that DH's grandma did in the dutch oven and my MIL adapted for the microwave.

I'm warning you...it's not exact measurements. :yes

Take your biggest microwaveable pan. Put about a cup of rice in it. (MIL measures two palmfulls :giggle ) I use plain old long grain white rice. Has to be long grain, or it'll be mush. No minute rice. I've tried it with brown rice...it didn't work.

Pour milk over it. About half the pan worth. It's a LOT of milk...probably a third of a gallon. Pop this in the microwave. Nuke it for 10 minutes. Stir. 10 minutes, stir. For a total of 40 minutes. If there's still a ton more milk than rice, go another 10 minutes. That's the longest I've ever had to go. Remove from the microwave and toss any milk skin. Put in 2T of butter and 1/2c of sugar. Let it sit for a while to set up. Serve with a sprinkle of cinnamon on top, if desired. Makes an awesome breakfast!

Marielle
06-02-2008, 05:33 AM
yeah I eat rice pudding too - not too often because hubby doesn't love it as much as I do but often enough.

Jasmine is a longer grain rice than say minute rice, short grain, or sushi type rice.

My mom's recipe is the kind I make for rice pudding. One cup of rice (we also use extra long grain like mahatma), to 5 cups of water. Add 1 tsp of salt and about 5 whole cloves. Bring to a boil and then lower heat, cook until the rice is split open.

Once the rice is done, add 1 can of condensed milk, 1 can of evaporated milk, 1 stick of butter (paula would LOVE my mom's recipe LOL) and if necessary adjust the sugar (although the condensed milk is enough sweetness for me). Allow to simmer until it's thickened up a bit and coats the back of a spoon. I eat this warm and it's very rich, not a baked rice pudding. My mom would add raisins at the end for my dad but I can't stand raisins in rice pudding.

Living My Dream
06-02-2008, 06:41 AM
http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/talk004.gif

I love rice pudding.

bananacake
06-02-2008, 07:04 AM
I make dairy & soy-free rice pudding in the crockpot :giggle