PDA

View Full Version : Help me troubleshoot my entryway ***updated page 2 with more pics & help needed

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 11:09 AM
This is the clean "before" picture (I didn't take any pictures of the real before :blush ):

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/home/IMG_0030.jpg

This is the cleaner "after" picture:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/home/IMG_0031.jpg

and a larger view:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/home/IMG_0032.jpg

I am looking for ideas to make it look nicer, more welcoming, whatever.

The plastic drawers are filled with stuff we use often- sidewalk chalk, sun screen, my two baby carriers, hats (in the winter they are full of gloves, hats, etc). The aquarium is really just a "decoration"-- it used to hold parakeets, but they died & we keep our shoes in the cabinet & I didn't want to get rid of that as storage. In Michigan everyone takes off their shoes as soon as you walk in the door (even at a stranger's house it is the norm) so having a place for us to keep our shoes is helpful, plus we never lose our shoes this way.

the big green bags will go to the car next time I go for groceries. The shoe boxes are for the kids' soccer stuff & we play soccer in our yard several times a week & have soccer lessons/class every Saturday.

Any ideas? Or does it look okay already?

WanderingJuniper
05-30-2008, 11:24 AM
Personally I'd still pass on the aquarium. I'm funny about pieces that are not being used for their purpose. Without fish to me it looks like clutter. :bag We use a basket for our shoes. Then put the pics on the wall.

Marielle
05-30-2008, 11:35 AM
How about a modified hall tree?

so a long bench the width of that wall with storage underneath (with doors or just cubbies) for the stuff you store in the bottom of the aquarium and plastic drawers. Then a hook rack like the one you have but larger at the top and maybe a mirror right next to it.

Or I've seen cubby type furniture sold as well. A four to five cubby piece would work well and can hold all that you've shown in the pic (you can even make them out of premade cabinets from the kitchen section of the home improvement store).

ArmsOfLove
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Okay, I say either put something in the aquarium or get rid of it altogether. It's a very large piece that is basically a set-stuff-on-it right now. No good :) Also, is that storage underneat? If so, I'd empty it out (if it isn't) and stick the shoe boxes in there :tu

And the problem I see is that ALL attention is squished down to the very lower quadrant of the wall. I'd hang a picture to draw the eye up--large enough for the area but not too large--don't fill it. Do you have a 10X13 frame with a family photo or a collection of family photos you could hand? Or a welcome sign?

I'd also raise the hooks about 1 to 2 feet so that it's not hanging so low.

You want to create levels to move the eye around the space :)

simplegirl
05-30-2008, 11:38 AM
:bag We use a basket for our shoes.

why the bag? sounds like a great idea to me!

JJsMom
05-30-2008, 11:42 AM
:tu I think it would look good if you found a place for those shoeboxes, but I would get rid of the aquarium too. :shifty If you did, you could still keep the cabinet there. :yes And I like Crystal's advice about a bigger pic and the hooks. :)

SouthPaw
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
i was going to say the same thing... use the height!! can you do some new furniture? i would either get an all new piece with a bench and hooks at the top or just use the cabinet (with no empty fish tank, maybe cover a foam pad with some cloth and use it as a bench) and get a cool hat rack to hang things and put a mirror up above the cabinet. then i would personally do a shelf of wicker storage baskets for the stuff, as i personally hate those see thru plastic things :O although if it doesn't bother you maybe it's not necessary. i can find links if youre not sure what im talking about for anything :mrgreen

brandi
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
What about getting a hall bench with storage underneath instead of the empty fish tank? Instead of having the plastic drawers, could you get a shelf with baskets? Baskets look so much more warm and inviting than a plastic drawer. I agree with hanging the picture on the wall. Maybe you could add a feww more and have a 'mini' family wall for guests to look at when they walk in.

WanderingJuniper
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
:bag We use a basket for our shoes.

why the bag? sounds like a great idea to me!

I don't know. I must have had help with my reply. I stepped away mid post to help Pirate with the potty.

I like the cubby idea.

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 11:47 AM
the hooks are that low so the kids can hang their coats in the winter. Otherwise the coats were on the floor until I could get to them. So that I won't change. ;) I don't like to see shoes so I want something that can hide them & dh will not get rid of a "perfectly" good aquarium :/ even though we have three other "perfectly" good aquariums of various sizes in the garage. :rolleyes

I think we have some nice pictures we could hang there. :think Hanging pictures means I need to get dh in on it.

I love the bench Marielle, I just don't want to spend money right now, I want to make what we already have work in some way. I have been wanting to get a tortoise, I could always make the aquarium for that purpose, but that involves spending money. :shifty And more animals to take care of & we have enough!!!

:think thanks for the input so far. :yes ack!!! more responses!!!

The problem with removing the fish tank but leaving the cabinet is that it is a cabinet for the aquarium so it has no top, just a frame. Does that make sense? Baskets are a possibility, We could do that pretty inexpensively, the thing is that I don't like to see all the stuff & in baskets you see everything unless they are in some sort of shelf. :bag That is my weird thing, I guess.

mama-hobbit
05-30-2008, 11:48 AM
Howsabout I trade you my mirrored hall stand (which I have no room for) - it has hooks, a nice place for the shoe boxes (covered in pretty contact paper) to sit, and would draw the eye up the wall... and I'll take the aquarium (for my frog to live in) :shrug ;)

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Howsabout I trade you my mirrored hall stand (which I have no room for) - it has hooks, a nice place for the shoe boxes (covered in pretty contact paper) to sit, and would draw the eye up the wall... and I'll take the aquarium (for my frog to live in) :shrug ;)

where do you live? I would totally do that. :yes

mama-hobbit
05-30-2008, 06:58 PM
hehehe... Tennessee... :shifty I don't think either of our DH's will want to even drive 1/2 way for this swap. :giggle

WI Mama05
05-30-2008, 07:14 PM
I say totally keep your eyes open on craigslist and rummage sales for some kind of furniture you could use as a bench/storage w/cubbies. You can use either basket looking baskets or fabric covered baskets/boxes and put the shoes, soccer, hats, slings, etc in them. I've seen people make nice looking labels for the outside too "soccer" "p's shoes" "e's shoes" etc.

Just an idea for the future. I totally relate to not wanting to spend the money, but keep in on your radar. Plus, it might be an easy system for the kids to keep on themselves.

ITA about the low coat rack. We actually put those 3M hooks low on the wall for the girls to hang their stuff on. Otherwise, it just sits on the floor!

For right now, I'd hang those pics higher on the wall so that there's not such a space discrepancy, KWIM? Some eye candy up higher ;). Other than that, it looks picked up, just a bit cluttered with things broken up like that (just like my entire house! :cool).

You're doing a great job Kimberly! :heart

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 07:16 PM
darn!!!! That would have been perfect!!!

I may see if there is a better place to keep the plastic drawers & soccer stuff, I just don't want it to be hard to get to b/c if it is all that stuff will just end up on the floor in the entry anyway. :/ And I am an offender there, too, not just the kids. :shifty

I realize that this isn't going to be a quick fix, but there are also other areas I need to work on more right now. But all the ideas are good. Thank you!!!

cheri
05-30-2008, 07:18 PM
I really think the plastic drawers need to go. I think if you do baskets, you need to do basket drawers. What about the "cubicals" by Closet Maid?

We have a 9 cube storage in dark espresso color with 9 linen fabric drawers and it looks nice and hides all kinds of things. We don't store shoes in ours, but I think you could do that.

BHope
05-30-2008, 07:59 PM
Okay, I know you said you didn't want to spend money. :bag But I think this would look really nice right in that spot:
Link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/rooms/hallway/10454/

$79.99
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22975_PE089667_S4.jpg

$69.99
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/33896_PE090882_S4.jpg

You could use baskets for the kids shoes, or put some pretty contact paper on shoe boxes...

mom2threegirls
05-30-2008, 08:27 PM
I would sell the "perfectly good" ;) fish tank (s? :shifty) on craigslist and use the money to buy some furniture for the space that would work well and look nice on craigslist! You could even try to trade the stuff with someone or post what you're looking for and people that may have not quite put their item up for sale will contact you (that way you don't have to worry about someone getting it before you!). I love that stuff from ikea- we have that bench in our play room actually and it's nice and very durable :rockon. I see that stuff on craigslist too- I bet you could find it there! (we have the matching coffee table also in the playroom that I got on CL for only $40!). Or even keep your eye out at goodwill and other thrift stores- I find that furniture goes for REALLY cheap at places like that and often time you can spruce something super cheap (like less than $10) up with just a can of spray paint and some primer :tu.

Mother of Sons
05-30-2008, 09:12 PM
Here is what I would do.

Get rid of the plastic drawers and store those things in the aquarium cabinet.

Then lower the hooks to be even with the top of the aquarium.

Get a large framed photo or painting (I'd say 16x20) to hang above (or several smaller framed pictures)

then get some fish for your tank (or more birds)

Oh and for shoes, I would probably store those in the cabinet too or have a nice mat underneath the hooks to line them up.

Iveyrock
05-31-2008, 11:00 AM
Okay, I know you said you didn't want to spend money. :bag But I think this would look really nice right in that spot:
Link: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/categories/rooms/hallway/10454/

$79.99
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/22975_PE089667_S4.jpg

$69.99
http://www.ikea.com/PIAimages/33896_PE090882_S4.jpg

You could use baskets for the kids shoes, or put some pretty contact paper on shoe boxes...

these are what I want so badly for my entryway...

tempus vernum
06-02-2008, 05:32 AM
I may be throwing my own homekeeping issues on you but. . . .

I will say shoes are a huge problem here most of the time - with our types of climate (I know we are similar), we always have tons of shoes out. Right now, my kids have in their shoe basket - 2 pairs of tennies (grungy nad nice), sandals, rain boots, crocks (for rainy but not muddy). :crazy Lining up doesn't work. Containing them does.

I would be hesitant to change any shoe system that is working for you. We have tried so many things for our shoes and none of them work long or well so if shoes are working for you, I'd be loathe to change it. :hiding

KatieMae
06-02-2008, 05:57 AM
My cheap suggestions:

1. Cut white cardstock to go inside the front of the plastic drawers - trust me, it makes a HUGE difference. You could tape it at the top of the drawer so it stays in place. And if it gets ripped, just replace it - easy.

2. Move your hanging rack up to your level & buy individual hooks for each of the kiddos. We have one of the double-hooks for each of ours so they can either hang two coats (great for fall & spring when you need a jacket & a wintercoat available) or a coat & a backpack. These are $5 or less ea.

I also have to agree that the fishtank should go. Ask yourself, if you were shopping for a shoe cubby, would you buy that fishtank for that purpose?

But I understand the DH-issue you're talking about. Just consider selling it on CL & then look for a storage unit that would suit your needs for size, style & function. In my area, there are hundreds of furniture postings on CL every day, so if it's the same for you I bet you could find a replacement cabinet within a week for sure. I wouldn't want to see shoes all over the entry either, so if you like a closed cabinet, only look for closed cabinets :yes (And give the leftover money to DH as a reward for selling the aquarium ;) )

And remember that you deserve to have a pretty house :hug Sell anything that doesn't make you smile :)

klpmommy
06-15-2008, 07:33 PM
Here is what I have done after lots of thinking about what everyone suggested. So far I have spent $0. :rockon Although I will need to spend a bit of money & could use some opinions. :)

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/home/IMG_0179.jpg

I moved the fishtank/shoe storage to here:

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e138/klpmommy/home/IMG_0180.jpg

So it is still right by the door, but not as obvious I don't think. I am also going to work on the "decoration" in there- there is a wooden turtle "living" in there, but the kids have added a bunch of "junk" to it as well.

Having the chair there helps for people to take shoes on/off when coming in our house. The table has a drawer which in which I put the dog leashes & dh will keep his wallet & keys. I am going to actively discourage the table becoming a catch all (and I am probably the biggest offender there :O ).

I am going to move the hooks to the mud "area" of our house (by the laundry room/garage). I already put the plastic drawers & shoe boxes there. I will put them at the kids' level so they can hang their coats there in the winter. Since they have all summer to get used to not wearing a coat maybe they won't resist too much. :lol I can also keep my keys, purse & diaper bag there. We already have hooks at our level in that area.

What I was thinking about for the walls (and where I would appreciate advice)-- We have a mask that dh bought when he was in Africa several years ago. I thought about putting that in that wall area & printing out some pics from his trip (to go with the pillow on the table). If I do that-- how many 8x10 or 5x7 pics? Or would it be best to use a mix of sizes (and how many of each).

DH likes the table & lamp being there. It is one of his favorite lamps that has been in storage. The table has been a problem in the family room for a while so I am glad to give it a better home. The chair was creating a bottle neck in the formal dining room, but it is a bit big for this area I think. But I also think it still works, not sure. I don't have a better chair to put there unfortunately.

So-- to sum it up:
what do you think of the general idea?
I need to buy a lampshade.
I am going to move the hooks.
Africa mask & pics for the wall?

lavender mom
06-15-2008, 08:37 PM
Kimberly,
That looks great! Such an improvment!

I'm not the best for advice about pictures. I know what I like when I see it (like your new and improved entry! :tu ), but coming up with the design isn't my strength. ;) How big is the mask? Could you hand the mask on the right and then balance it with a couple of 5x7s one above the other to the left of it?

TraceMama
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Kimberly! :rockon

It looks amazing! :hug I'm *so* impressed by your hard work! :clap Now, I'm thinking if I should put some seating in my entryway also. :think

I think the African mask sounds pretty cool. You could get a couple dark brown shelves to arrange near it/arround it and place your photo frames on them. :yes That way, you could always change up the pics if you wanted without much fuss. :heart

ArmsOfLove
06-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Just a very practical question . . . . does anyone use the chair?

It's really beautiful . . . I'm just thinking you may have a fear of empty space. What would happen if you just remove the chair and table, leave the hooks (more centered or off to the side a bit lower than the mask?) And then have space???

tempus vernum
06-17-2008, 03:40 AM
Crystal :giggle I was going to recommend the reverse. I was going to :tu moving the hooks and recommend moving the chair and just leave the table and lamp centered :giggle

No matter what you decide, it looks lovely :hug

klpmommy
06-17-2008, 05:16 AM
The chair is in kind of a bad place that makes a narrow area in the formal dining room. We have too much furniture (dh disagrees). So putting the chair there really opened up the formal dining room. And so far I have enjoyed sitting in the chair. :)

I definately appreciate the suggestions. And I think maybe dh has a fear of open space. :think

simplegirl
06-17-2008, 06:13 AM
And I think maybe dh has a fear of open space. :think

:giggle Maybe that's not supposed to be funny, but I thought it was!