PDA

View Full Version : can we talk about coffee cups?

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 10:53 AM
I don't drink coffee. DH doesn't drink coffee. In the cold months we drink hot chocolate sometimes & I will drink some hot tea. When family comes to visit they all drink coffee (we have a coffee pot just for visitors), but they don't come that often (I would venture to say if we have family visiting three weeks total in a year that would be a good year).

But we have a ton of coffee cups. I have already gotten rid of probably half, but I still have 1.5 shelves in a cabinet dedicated to them. I want to get rid of the extras, but I don't know what is a reasonable number to keep? None are from a set, I don't think, just assorted random gifts that I was given as a teacher. I have the two that I love to use for tomato soup & one that was my great-grandmother's that I want to keep (I use it) & a couple that the kids like for their hot chocolate or soup.

So, with all that excessive information :lol how many coffee cups would be a good number to keep?

abbiroads
05-30-2008, 11:01 AM
we drink coffee and tea daily and we have about 15 coffee cups. does that help?

brandi
05-30-2008, 11:05 AM
We drink coffe everyday, and we have 6

2sunshines
05-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Well, when family comes and drinks coffee, how many people is that?

naturallia
05-30-2008, 11:08 AM
How many visitors do you think you'll have at one time, maximum?

That many.

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 11:15 AM
I don't think we have ever had more than 2 or 3 family members at a time. If they drink coffee/tea all through the day is it okay to just have one or two cups available for them? B/c when any of our parents stay with us they drink from mugs all day long.

WanderingJuniper
05-30-2008, 11:18 AM
We drink coffee and have 8. We are a family of 5 and rarely have more than 3 guests over for dinner at a time so 8 is perfect. If we do have more we don't have coffee. :O

simplegirl
05-30-2008, 11:25 AM
I would personally say to keep at least 4, 6 is a good number, and you probably don't need anymore than 8.

Sweet Life
05-30-2008, 11:33 AM
Assuming that you do dishes once a day when you have visitors I would just keep four. If you end up needing more, you can always find hodge podge at a garage sale .... or rely on the fact that someone is sure to gift you one down the road at some point. :giggle

JJsMom
05-30-2008, 11:37 AM
I'd go with four too. :yes
That just made me realize that I should purge. I have way too many! I hate to get rid of the ones that go with my dishes set though. :/ Kimberly, you really get me motivated to declutter! :kiss

simplegirl
05-30-2008, 11:39 AM
:/ Kimberly, you really get me motivated to declutter! :kiss

:yes

ArmsOfLove
05-30-2008, 11:43 AM
Unless you have specific holidays during which you know you will have more than 4 people--say you host Christmas dinner and there are 10 people who all drink coffee. Unless you just want to provide disposable mugs during that event in which case I can't imagine needing more than 4 under the circumstances you've described. I've got maybe 10 and I drink coffee, the kids drink a little coffee in milk and like it in mugs, but I still know I have too many. I just like the mugs I have--they fit moods :shifty But I'm thinking of getting rid of a few anyway :think

2sunshines
05-30-2008, 11:45 AM
I'd be tempted to keep 6. Just cause there are 5 of you and what if you want to sit around and sip hot chocolate together, kwim? And of course I say 6 cause I hate uneven numbers for things. :giggle

But definitely no more than that.

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 11:51 AM
OK, I think 6 -8 is a good number b/c I do want to have enough for all of us to have hot chocolate together & we do use them to drink tomato soup with grilled cheese a lot in the winter. None of them match, but that is okay with me, none of our dishes match at all, I am waiting on enough of our hand me downs to break to justify buying a set for us that we actually like. :shifty (And while it is tempting, I don't want to break them on purpose!!!)

Lady TS
05-30-2008, 12:03 PM
I just like the mugs I have--they fit moods :shifty But I'm thinking of getting rid of a few anyway :think

I totally get that! :lol The whole cup that fits my mood thing.

Dh, on the other hand, is like "I have ONE cup! Why are there so many in this cupboard!?!"

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 12:07 PM
I did it!! From 32 to 9. I can't decide which other one to get rid of.

ArmsOfLove
05-30-2008, 12:13 PM
put them all on the table or counter; turn away; turn back and see which one sticks out like an ugly sore thumb :P Get rid of that one :rockon

JJsMom
05-30-2008, 12:16 PM
I did it!! From 32 to 9.

:woohoo

The Tickle Momster
05-30-2008, 01:38 PM
Good work! :rockon

WI Mama05
05-30-2008, 02:02 PM
I did it!! From 32 to 9. I can't decide which other one to get rid of.

:woohoo I purged a bunch before and kept my big, comfy, sit on the couch and snuggle with my coffee mugs :shifty. I also have a few that have "meaning" for my DH (who doesn't drink coffee) and the ones that "go with" my set. I should get rid of those b/c I never use them.

What an inspiration!

mom2threegirls
05-30-2008, 08:29 PM
Wow, great job purging the coffee cups!!! :woohoo

Marsha
05-31-2008, 04:32 AM
I totally have cups that fit mood LOL. I drink coffee daily. Also I like slightly rounded cups and my big chunky Sea World cup but I've got other cups that I like to drink from less but have sentimental value. I've actually gotten rid of the ones that match my dishes because that was four that I NEVER used and we have small cupboards and too many cups!

Allison
05-31-2008, 04:49 AM
I drink coffee daily and I have five. Well, I had six, but someone broke my newest one. *sigh* The most visitors I've had at my house at once is five.

tempus vernum
05-31-2008, 08:07 AM
I am getting motivated :rockon. My kitchen defnitely is in need of some decluttering/maintenance :tu

joyful mama
05-31-2008, 08:10 AM
Unless you have specific holidays during which you know you will have more than 4 people--say you host Christmas dinner and there are 10 people who all drink coffee. Unless you just want to provide disposable mugs during that event in which case I can't imagine needing more than 4 under the circumstances you've described. I've got maybe 10 and I drink coffee, the kids drink a little coffee in milk and like it in mugs, but I still know I have too many. I just like the mugs I have--they fit moods :shifty But I'm thinking of getting rid of a few anyway :think
yeah, I was thinking keep 4-6, and if you have a people that use mugs all day when they visit, get the disposable ones... if its once or twice a year, I don't think its that big of a deal, especially if you get ones you can recycle ;)

AdrienneQW
05-31-2008, 10:25 AM
Good for you! :cheer Did you find the "sore thumb" yet? ;)

joystrength
05-31-2008, 10:40 AM
:jump :cup

klpmommy
05-31-2008, 10:55 AM
well, the sore thumb is either the one from my great grandma or the one I really like to have hot chocolate in. So I am not sure what to do at this point, but 9 cups is a lot better than 32 so for now I am leaving it as it is.

chelsea
05-31-2008, 11:02 AM
Keep 6. If your parents drink coffee all day long when they visit...they can use one cup for half a day which adds up to a total of 2 cups each per day, and you've still got 2 extra if you want to join them in drinking coffee...and if you absolutely need them again you can always quickly wash them.
But keeping only 9 of 32 is AWESOME!!! Coffee cups are hard to part from, because there always seem to be memories attached to them. :giggle If you want to get rid of more but they hold special memories...take photos of them and scrapbook it or something...and then get rid of the actual cups. :giggle

RealLifeMama
05-31-2008, 11:35 AM
That is a huge amount to purge.

I purged a bunch of mine a while ago and honestly, we just don't have enough now. I go back and forth between coffee daily, and then I drink tea for a while, and then I do nothing...when I was pregnant with C, I thought it was fine just to have my 6 tiny cups that matched my dish set, and I kept two mugs. That would suffice for company, plus I have some china.
But, now that I drink coffee daily, and one of my mugs chipped, well, those tiny coffee cups don't cut it, and I only have one mug.
I now have to alternate between my Panera coffee cup and my mug. I guess it works, but I don't like it.

ETA:
Oh, but I *just* remembered the polka dot latte bowls I bought last year, that are somewhere in the garage, and the latte bowl that I painted at the pottery place, *and* the tea set I bought for the MOPS tea a couple years ago...
OK, I guess I have enough cups of various shapes and sizes after all. :O

Treenahurricane
06-03-2008, 02:08 PM
I think that's a really good purge! We only have the really big mugs and a smurf mug that I got from my great grandma these days. That meant that last year we got rid of the ones that mach our dishes because we never liked drinking out of them since they were small :giggle and all those random mugs like the stupid ones we got as our "gift" for closing on our mortgage with an instant coffee pack stuck in them. :crazy2 It was enough to fill a whole darned box! (They now reside with my parents waiting for the day my brother gets off his behind and moves out :giggle)

joyful mama
06-04-2008, 05:44 PM
wow, thats a great purge :yes