PDA

View Full Version : I see a problem....

WI Mama05
05-29-2008, 04:38 PM
I need somewhere to *put* my purged things BESIDES the basement!!! I have stuff sitting down there from last year that I purged and HAVEN'T.GOTTEN.RID.OF. It's just too easy to forget about it or use the excuse of it being so much work to drag it back up. I need a covered trailer that I can load as I purge and drive to the Goodwill. There isn't one around that I can use though. No POD services here either. *sigh* Guess I'll just have to load my van and make stops EVERY time I'm in town. (which isn't often these days).

I'm also overwhelmed at the thought of getting rid of BRAND NEW items. Just sending them to Goodwill without trying to get money for them feels totally wrong to me :O, although a good reminder of purposeful spending ;).

I just don't see a way of doing a garage sale. I AM thinking of keeping a few things for swap packages ;), but hopefully not too much.

My mom would have a FIT if she saw me getting rid of all of this stuff!!!! :giggle Good thing they refuse to visit :shifty.

Sorry, random ramble. Bedtime for the girls....I'm off!

LadybugSam
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
What i'm doing is listing some of my things for sale. I'm marking my calander so that a month later, i HAVE to give them up to goodwill. No more waiting for them to sell, its just time.

ArmsOfLove
05-29-2008, 05:08 PM
if you think they'd go here list them for a preset amount of time and then if they aren't taken purge them
if you think someone irl might want them put them in the trunk and offer it next time you are out
once a week go to Goodwill and just make a drop

IF they are new enough, return them and get money back or store credit for something more purposeful :yes

Forsynthianicki
05-30-2008, 07:37 AM
You can see if a local charity does pick ups in your area. The Salvation Army does pick ups where I live and I know that the money they make in thier local thrift store stays in our community and helps to support thier social service programs. I think you can also get a receipt for a tax deduction from donations.

ThreeKids
05-30-2008, 07:43 AM
Buy some yard sale stickers and keep you "to purge" collection ready to go. I've been able to purge a lot of stuff without even holding a garage sale just by sending people into my garage and letting them take anything with a sticker on it.

WI Mama05
05-30-2008, 01:16 PM
The major problem is, we're rural. Garage sale won't take off here, people don't come here :giggle and no one pick up here!

My problem now that I've decided to donate the bulk (I gotta keep SOMETHING for swaps ya know :P~) is that earlier this year I RECYCLED ALL MY BOXES :crazy. Now what do I do LOL! Is this a case of taking purging too far LOL?

klpmommy
05-30-2008, 01:27 PM
The major problem is, we're rural. Garage sale won't take off here, people don't come here :giggle and no one pick up here!

My problem now that I've decided to donate the bulk (I gotta keep SOMETHING for swaps ya know :P~) is that earlier this year I RECYCLED ALL MY BOXES :crazy. Now what do I do LOL! Is this a case of taking purging too far LOL?

Yeah, I have that problem with boxes, too. Thankfully if I ship priority I can get free boxes from the PO. ANd I always seem to have more stuff coming my way for more boxes. :shifty

Marielle
05-30-2008, 01:39 PM
Yeah I can't tell my mom I'm purging either because she'll want to send such and such to so and so and we live 800 miles away which would mean storing until she got here. No way. Unless it's something I figure I'll ship to my mom or my sister for their immediate use I don't let anyone know what leaves this house.

WI Mama05
05-30-2008, 01:42 PM
Yeah, I have that problem with boxes, too. Thankfully if I ship priority I can get free boxes from the PO. ANd I always seem to have more stuff coming my way for more boxes. :shifty

Yeah, I try to ship Priority too, but I need boxes to drop at the Goodwill. Most of my things are in totes right now (which I need for storage) It's a vicious cycle! :sillygrin

I just left a message for my BIL (who is the receiving manager at a retail store) to save me some. Hopefully I can get some this weekend if my MIL comes to visit :shifty.