PDA

View Full Version : Should I do it?

JJsMom
05-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Should I purge a bunch of my ds's clothes? :nails I have about 6 bins of clothes (maybe more) downstairs and he's not even 5 yo! So I went through 4 of them and purged them down to one. :phew Now I'm having second thoughts though. I kept the ones that I really loved and the ones that were name brand and in really good shape that I could see not really going out of style. But what if we have more boys? But then the next child wouldn't be here for probably over a year and then it might not even be a boy. I just feel like it's a waste of money, like I'm throwing money away. :/
I got some clothes from my sis that my nephew wore 10 years ago. :jawdrop I couldn't even use very many of them. The colors just looked funny and the style was different, like scrunchy bottom Nike Pants and stuff.
But then if I do have a boy, will I wish I had more clothes for him? Ugh.
Help me out here!

Amber
05-29-2008, 01:45 AM
I would save your favorites and purge the rest. But then, I just went through 4 bins of clothes of my boys clothes for our yard sale. In the end, I kept 3 outfits, and one of those I will be giving away :giggle

KatieMae
05-29-2008, 01:53 AM
If you really don't have the room to keep them, or if seeing all those bins makes you a little crazy, then you should let them go. Sell what you can, if you want, or donate the lot of it. There will ALWAYS be more clothes to buy, whether retail or re-sale, so you just have to balance the space & sanity vs. potential "savings" by not having to buy new clothes. Will you still like that stuff in another year? What if it takes three years til you have another boy? Imagine saving all those clothes for years & THEN throwing them away because the elastic is dried up or the style is 'so over' :giggle

When you have another baby, you'll still buy some new things... I know ;) And if your kids have grandmas that love to give gifts, future babies will also get new clothes from them!

CapeTownMommy
05-29-2008, 02:04 AM
I did this just this morning! But then my situation is a little different. You may have read about the xenophobic attacks in South Africa, anyway there are refugee camps set up in the city where these people are being cared for. But many of them had to leave their homes with just the clothes on their backs, and so they're pretty destitute. I'm taking bags of dd's clothes (and some of mine and dh's) and some toys, toiletries etc. to a donation point today. I've just realised how much good these clothes could do NOW, instead of being kept in a cupboard on the off chance that we have another daughter and want to use it for her, KWIM?

klpmommy
05-29-2008, 05:22 AM
I need to do this, too. I have gotten down to one bin of clothes per size (I had three bins of some sizes!) but that is still a bunch of clothes & I am realizing with S how few of the things she actually wears, you know? So I need to go through the bins again & get rid of even more so that I am only keeping things I really can see my future kids wearing or clothes that are really special. These bins fill up two entire closets that could be used for other stuff.

I always donate baby clothes to the crisis pregnancy center. If I have enough older kid stuff this time I might take it to the resale shop, but they never seem to offer enough money to make it worth while, you know? I would rather it go to someone who needs it.

mommyTay
05-29-2008, 05:43 AM
If you really don't have the room to keep them, or if seeing all those bins makes you a little crazy, then you should let them go. Sell what you can, if you want, or donate the lot of it. There will ALWAYS be more clothes to buy, whether retail or re-sale, so you just have to balance the space & sanity vs. potential "savings" by not having to buy new clothes. Will you still like that stuff in another year? What if it takes three years til you have another boy? Imagine saving all those clothes for years & THEN throwing them away because the elastic is dried up or the style is 'so over' :giggle

:yes I totally agree. We have also been sorting and downsizing the clothes stash. I still have a huge clothes stash, but I also have 4 little girls between 8 and 2. I have 4 bags of clothes in the van I hope to drop off this afternoon. IF I get the energy, I hope to add other purge items to that before heading to town later.

Marsha
05-29-2008, 05:59 AM
Almost all of our clothes are from freecycle or hand me downs. I feel not guilt about "passing them on". I do keep some things from my big to give to my little but the minute she outgrows them, they are GONE!

It's too stressful to keep that many clothes IMO!

ArmsOfLove
05-30-2008, 11:46 AM
unless you are currently in the mode of having several children it just isn't worth keeping them. Pass them on to someone who can enjoy them now and trust that the Lord will provide more when it's your turn again or he will provide the funds for what you need :) Keep those you love and let the others live a rich full life :heart

WI Mama05
05-30-2008, 02:08 PM
*sigh* I'm working on my THIRD pass going through the girls clothes and it is SO hard! Yesterday I realized my 6/6X bin is OVERFUL and RACHEL'S NOT EVEN WEARING THEM YET!!!!! :jawdrop :giggle

Yeah, I have a problem with girls clothes. We'll see how I do if this one is a boy!