PDA

View Full Version : Meal Ideas that Reheat Well in Microwave?

Happygrl
05-28-2008, 03:41 PM
There's a lady in my MOPS group who is here b/c of high-risk pregnancy reasons (her husband & kids are in Japan). The military has her in a hotel, so she's eating out for all of her meals. She's been here a month already and still has another month until she's due and then a few weeks more while they get paperwork together for the new babe. So....I told her I'd bring her some food tomorrow when I'm down that way. I'm down there every Thursday, so I'd like to plan to do that each week. She has a dorm-size fridge and a small microwave. So whatever I take her needs to reheat well in the microwave or be eaten cold (foods will be delivered cold). No food restrictions/allergies and her only dislikes are corn & peas. She had previously mentioned that she misses eating healthy and really misses vegetables.

I really need help with some ideas, esp. ways to incorporate vegetables in the entree or as a side dish.

I'm short on time before I take her food tomorrow, so I'm taking easy things.
1/2 dozen banana muffins
2 servings of pasta salad with chicken, zucchini, carrots, tomatoes & peppers
Pork barbecue from our freezer with a couple buns for sandwiches
Grapes
Baby carrots
A couple brownies

Other ideas I have:
soup (I have several kinds frozen)
pot roast with potatoes
Spanish rice with shredded chicken or beef mixed in
Italian beef sandwiches
Ravioli lasagna & garlic bread

RealLifeMama
05-28-2008, 03:52 PM
That all sounds good.

We rarely use our microwave here, but DH takes his lunch to work and reheats it there.
I can tell you what things he has said do NOT microwave well...

Broccoli - gets mushy
Chicken pot pie
anything with tortillas or biscuit or bread

naturallia
05-29-2008, 09:30 AM
Anything that's a casserole reheats beautifully in the microwave.

Marsha
05-29-2008, 09:32 AM
chili, taco meat, most pasta dishes. Don't do rice, it gets crunchy if in the fridge and microwaved or at least IMO.

AmyDoll
05-29-2008, 10:06 AM
right - but Minute Rice *cooks* well in the micro & is done in 5 min. So you could bring her a box of rice & a pyrex bowl to use as a side :)

Chicken Divan heats well in the micro.
http://www.cheapcooking.com/blog/2006/02/chicken-divan-chicken-and-broccoli.html This is similar to the recipe I use. You can use any "Cream of" soup. I like Chicken better than Mushroom but :shrug
And I melt the butter and mix the bread crumbs in the melted butter before spreading them on top.

It's SUPER yummy & great over rice.

Marielle
05-29-2008, 10:12 AM
rice (any kind) will actually do well in the microwave reheated. You just have to sprinkle liberally with water right before nuking. My mom had to get creative to reheat food for my very picky dad.

Anything you want to reheat benefits from sprinkling with water and topping with cling wrap because microwaves heat up the moisture in the food and usually evaporate it before the food is hot.

Stirring midway and maybe more also helps. For crusty things leaving the lid off and REALLY watching the time is what makes a difference. It won't be exactly as it came out of the oven but it won't be inedible either.