PDA

View Full Version : So, what's going on in your garden?

Johns_Gal
05-27-2008, 05:19 AM
We got a good handful of yellow squash yesterday, and the blackberries are almost ready if I beat the birds to them. Tomatoes have loads of little green fruit on them, and neither of us can stand the wait. I have bell peppers as long as my thumb already! :jawdrop The bunnies are busy munching weeds I bring them and supplying a never ending source of awesome fertilizer.

Plum tree is loaded, and so is the peach, except for the lower branches... I have dogs who live to steal unripe peaches. *sigh* I still need to put in the back garden, but Dh has to do alot of it now that my pregnancy is progressing and my joints hate me. But. back there will go melons and squash and more tomatoes, and then July 1st we start the fall crops. Yay Texas growing season, lol.

I am still toying with the idea of either a fish pond back there or a rabbit colony or cmall flock of poultry (fenced out of the veggies, of course) but have to figure out a way to keep our dogs out of it either way. :think That, and we have loads of hawks and herons around here so aerial predators are a concern.

So, what's almost ready/growing/planted in yours? Do you dry, freeze, or can any of it?

Psyche
05-27-2008, 05:22 AM
Broccoli is coming in slower than I thought, but I have two good sized heads. Spinach is doing smashing, just picked the scapes off my garlic so those are doing well too. I planted the corn around the broccoli last week, need to plant one more square, since the broccoli is going slower than I thought. When I get back from my conference, next week, I intend to plant my beans and carrots.

tempus vernum
05-27-2008, 05:56 AM
:jawdrop WOw, being in zone 5, I just planted everything on Saturday. I was too late for lettuce, spinach and peas and a little late on broccoli and cauliflower but I actually "took a risk" and planted my peppers and winter sqaush. It's a tad bit early for that so I am hopeful it won't get cold again.

SO at the moment, I have lots of seedlings planted and lots of seeds. :)

THat's all that's going on - that and I'm trying to figure out a good way to manage a large garden :)

Rea T
05-27-2008, 06:03 AM
So far, nothing. My tomato and pepper sprouts are just sitting there with no change, weathering out the sudden cool snap, protected from the wind by milk jugs, coke bottle, etc. I look like I'm growing a plastic garden. No sign of activity from the beans, peas or herbs yet. The flowers are starting to put up little sprouts. A bunny munched on the one sprout that I had started indoors. I'm hoping that by this weekend it will warm up enough for things to start happening.

Yeah, I'm a little late getting the peas in, we just finished prepping our garden a little over a week ago, so I planted last week.

I have a bit more space, so I think I'm going to get some summer squash put in yet.

WanderingJuniper
05-27-2008, 06:11 AM
I'm have hardy plants that hopefully in the next month will show signs of yummy goodness. My herbs are rockin it right now but everything else is not ready. I have signs of buds on my berries but I won't get a large harvest until next year. My plant is still young.

tempus vernum
05-27-2008, 06:15 AM
I forgot to mention our strawberries - newly transplanted last fall, they are full of flowers :rockon I am very excited. And our raspberries came up very nicely -- also new transplants :) :) :) Hoping for a nice harvest on those too :)

Johns_Gal
05-27-2008, 06:53 AM
:jawdrop WOw, being in zone 5, I just planted everything on Saturday. I was too late for lettuce, spinach and peas and a little late on broccoli and cauliflower but I actually "took a risk" and planted my peppers and winter sqaush. It's a tad bit early for that so I am hopeful it won't get cold again.

SO at the moment, I have lots of seedlings planted and lots of seeds. :)

THat's all that's going on - that and I'm trying to figure out a good way to manage a large garden :)

See, that's the sad thing... getting cold weather stuff to do well here is like pulling teeth. BLAH! My broccoli had bolted by March last year... this year I didn't even try. My lettuce never was anything but bitter, and about the time my brussels sprouts formed, the grasshoppers appeared and ate them before we could. Phooey. Going to try a fall garden instead of Spring and see what that does... maybe they'll do well this year. Maybe.

Punkie
05-27-2008, 07:00 AM
I'm 5A so ITU, Jodi. My garden is full of greens. I have a lot of different kinds of lettuce. I've been eating salads out of it for about a month. I also have cabbage, peas, spinach, potatoes, and tomatoes. The tomatoes don't have anything on them yet, but they seem pretty happy. We're having a couple of chilly days though, so I'm hoping that they'll be OK.

canadiyank
05-27-2008, 08:50 AM
I've eaten lettuce, green onions, cilantro, and some small onions. I have a bunch of herbs I can use as needed (thyme, Italian parsley, chives, basil, etc.) and my peas are about knee high. Broccoli heads are forming and I've got tiny green strawberries. Bean and cuke plants are up, walla wallas are getting bigger, garlic is looking good. Pepper plants aren't doing much, my tomatoes have a couple tiny fruit on them, and potatoes are doing quite well. :)

cobluegirl
05-27-2008, 09:27 AM
wow.... I have stuff coming up but no where ready to eat anything... Gpa is getting radishes...

It will be months before I get actual food. I need to go buy some tomato plants..my seeds are not growing at all...

LadybugSam
05-27-2008, 09:37 AM
well my cherry tomato bush is almost as big as i am, with probably about 100 little green tomatoes on it :jawdrop
My other two tomatoes...well. One of them has 3 tomatoes on it, green, but the bush is not looking too hot. I'm not sure whats wrong with it because its standing right next to the other two and they are both bigger than it. Even the bush i planted 2 weeks later (that still doesn't have ANY tomatoes growing on it yet) is bigger than that one. :scratch I'm thinkign there may be some kind of parasite (there are holes in some of the leaves) but i can't find it anywhere, and the two plants standing right next to it are perfectly fine :shrug

My zucchini has produced one large fruit, but no more :scratch But to be honest i have been forgetting to water as often as i should. I heard that if they get too dry they will abort their flowers :(

my bell pepper is growing well. I have one fruit the size of my palm. My herbs are doing well.

My green onions are growing beautifully. My chives are still kinda small. My walla walla onions look terrible, but i'm not sure about the quality of the actual onions. My carrots are teeny

Macky
05-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Zone 2a in central Saskatchewan. :) We sort of experimented this year putting everything in really early and for the most part letting it fend for itself, with the exception of hot caps on the pumpkins. Most years, nothing goes in the ground before June 1.

This year, peas were first to get planted out on May 11. They're about an inch tall now. Corn and broccoli transplanted out not long after. Corn is only a little taller now than they were at transplanting (about 5-6 inches then), but they look thicker and stronger for sure, ready to shoot off with some hot weather. The broccoli has had something eating it and I can't find what. The plants are okay, but missing bits of leaves. Much of everything else went in on or around the next weekend, with the last of the toms in on Victoria Day. Just found beet and nasturtium sprouts yesterday. Pepper, parsley, rudbeckia, sunflower and dill transplants are holding their own, but won't shoot off until we get some warm weather. Only the pumpkins are looking really stressed. Potatoes, beans and carrots aren't up yet, though I've dug around and the bean sprouts are sitting just under the soil, so we should see them soon. Have been picking asparagus for about a week. Got three pounds in one day on the weekend! The nanking cherry is covered in flowers as is the saskatoon berry bush. The raspberries we moved are just leafing out. :)

cheri
05-28-2008, 05:36 PM
I have one lone tomato on all of my tomato plants. Lots of flowers, though. My cucumbers have flowers. Bell peppers aren't really doing anything. Green beans aren't doing anything either. My broccoli plants are dead :shifty And the yellow squash isn't doing anything either.

Aisling
05-28-2008, 05:46 PM
I have three healthy arugula plants, a patch of cabbages I'm trying to keep free from inch worms :mad, my zucchini is growing (but not mature yet), two strawberry plants, a growing patch of kale, an eggplant, and some sad little bell pepper plants. I manured and eggshelled them yesterday, and it rained all day today, so we'll see if they make it. :O

Oh!!! and lots of very happy pea vines. :mrgreen

Lots of successful dandelions that get harvested every day. :lol

Also some mint, oregano, lavender, cilantro, basil, cinnamon basil, rosemary, sage, and lots of flowers. :) :heart

Jenny
05-28-2008, 05:50 PM
Lots of successful dandelions that get harvested every day. :lol

:giggle Us too!

We just planted not long ago, so we don't have any fruits/veggies yet- but we've planted tomatoes, cucumbers, zucchini, and watermelon. :)

WI Mama05
05-28-2008, 07:23 PM
I planted most of my garden two weeks ago, but have had to cover it about half the time for frost :/. I don't know my climate "#", but it's cold! :P~

The green beans and peas are sprouting! :rockon I planted broccoli and tomato plants and they seem to be doing okay - even a few flowers on my one tomato plant already! :rockon

The carrots and watermelon haven't started coming up yet.

I have some green onion and lettuce coming back from last year :hunh

I still need to plant my zucchini, but since I was so early with the other stuff, I still have time.

Hermana Linda
05-28-2008, 10:30 PM
The broccoli has had something eating it and I can't find what. The plants are okay, but missing bits of leaves.

:hand I know! It's probably the Cabbage Butterfly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_Butterfly) :yes3

Have you seen any white butterflies flying around your garden?

Hermana Linda
05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
I have some itty bitty tomatoes, a promise of green peppers and a lot of zucchini flowers. My cukes are fighting some kind of fungus, as are my beans. My new crop of beans are fine, just seedlings still. My strawberries look good, except the one I allowed to bear fruit. We bought it with fruit on it and I could not bear to cut it off. That plant looks like it may not survive now that it expended itself bearing fruit at such a young age. :(

My onions are looking good and the radishes are almost ready for another harvest. I am about to update my pic thread. I forgot to take pics of the onions and radishes. :doh Oh, and my cantaloupe plant is looking pretty good as well. :)

canadiyank
05-28-2008, 11:02 PM
The broccoli has had something eating it and I can't find what. The plants are okay, but missing bits of leaves.

:hand I know! It's probably the Cabbage Butterfly (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cabbage_Butterfly) :yes3

Fascinating! I see those butterflies flying around my horseradish! I don't care much about the horseradish but I'll keep an eye out around my broc. Thanks!

Hermana Linda
05-28-2008, 11:11 PM
I suggest growing broc, cabbage etc under a net.

I have them on my zucchini and green peppers, but they are ok. They have even been eating my tomatoes. But I had them destroy broccoli seedlings. :yes2

rosesnsnails
05-28-2008, 11:25 PM
We picked our first tomato today! :smile

Hermana Linda
05-28-2008, 11:53 PM
Yay!!!

Aisling
05-29-2008, 07:03 AM

:yes2 THAT'S what's eating my cabbages!!! :jawdrop Those cute little butterflies are the culprit, eh? :rolleyes2 Is there anything I can do about them? :nails

ETA: just read your netting suggestion. Where would I find netting like that? :think

canadiyank
05-29-2008, 02:20 PM
Ashley, it's the caterpillars that are the problem, so I'd check over the plants for caterpillars or eggs, etc. You don't want to trap them in with the netting!

Aisling
05-29-2008, 02:22 PM
Good point! I've been trying to knock off the caterpillars...they're stubborn little guys. :P~

LadybugSam
05-29-2008, 04:51 PM
i just found 5 catpillars in my garden today. I have been looking for them forever but have never seen them. Today i shock my bushes real hard and they just fell out of the bushes. I am SO not happy

although Caleb is enjoying them, they're in a jar with a bunch of half chewed tomato leaves. I think we have a new science project

mom2threegirls
05-29-2008, 05:04 PM
How exciting! I just have some basil, mint, chives, dill, parsley, and pots of flowers growing right now. All doing well- the girls love picking the mint and chewing on it :lol. We had too many moving projects this winter to get some garden beds ready for planting but I'm REALLY looking forward to getting some veggie and berry gardens ready for next season :rockon. I wish I could have at least gotten some raspberry roots in the ground so we can get berries next year but oh well :shrug.